Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Help!. I am thinking about getting a new computer.  Mine is a five-year-old  PC Gateway Pentium 4 Intell Processor.  I use satellite for my internet (not sure that would make any difference) but my computer seems to be on the slow-down, even after having it wiped clean and doing all the other things like de-fragmenting, dumping files and cookies.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Deb Upstate New York

I'm partial to Dell.  I have Gateways at home and at work and don't care for either one.  The kids have Dells and they've served them well.

Quy nomonkeybiz.com
Costa Mesa, CA
Website

Quy Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Before buying a new computer, you may want to add more memory and/or upgrade to a bigger hard drive. How much memory/hard drive does it have?

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

Hey Judi,
You asked the right place. Quy is the man to ask here! bear_whistle

Kathy

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Judi,
     Hubby's had a Dell for the past four years and it has been great - we just got a new one, so the old one will be mine.  Before the Dell, we had an HP ( Hewlett-Packard?) and we had nothing but trouble with it.  I vote for Dell, too!

Hugs,

Brenda

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I'm using a Compaq - it's silver and very nice - please don't ask me for techie spec though as I'll be way out of my depth!!  bear_cry

teddy_bears_org USA - Florida

Lets see, P4 should be more then adequate for anything that you are doing. If it is starting to get slow, sounds like your computer is infected with adware. Download spybot and run it on your computer. You do not need to run out and buy a new one based on the specs you gave. Maybe a total reinstall with the original disks or maybe adding more mem is a good idea. But it does sound like you have adware installed and it is eating up memory.

Any p4 computer is more then adequate for internet, believe me. Most tasks should zip on a p4. (except games)

Other things that can slow down the computer.
Lots of installed fonts
Lots of files, IE pictures.
Lots of installed programs

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Thank you so much for the responses.

Quy, Right now I am only using 27% of my memory. 

I do run spybot and AVG antivirus.  Is there anything else I can try?  I had my computer totally wiped clean in Sept of 2005.  How else could I tell if there is unwanted adware?

Thanks very very much!
Computer klutz here... :redface:

Dilu Posts: 8,574

My Toshiba laptop lasted a year, now my Dell is just about shot.  And it has only been a year. Truly.  The key board is wearing out, the connections for peripherals not so good and the center pin for the plug-in electricity is wobbely- so we have to play around with it very gently to keep it on ac instead of battery.  The battery has been great though.

I don't think the manufacturers think a couple could be on line 4-5 hours a day.  See its not all me.  Plus I do medical research for people at church.

I was hoping to go back to a Mac but the costs are too steep.  And the hubs thought I really needed to stick with a laptop.  Until I pointed out that a desktop  can have the keyboard replaced, and that is where the most wear and tear has been.

We just got, today, the new Dell desktop that he liked, but he is going to hook up to the side of the my chair an arm that will move the the flat screen panal out and infront when I need it.  Then we have a little bed-type table that we can put the keyboard and mouse on.  Hmmmmm.....

I'm not sure how he is going to do this, but I'm not worried, he will make it work, he always does. 

We had purchased 3 years full warranty on the lap top so now this puppy can go back and get all fixed up.

dilu

PS  In Praise of UPS

Roads are flooding out all over the place here in Southern Oregon, and yet our intrepid UPS guy Dave made it through....he's the greatest and goes above and beyond the call of duty for those of us out here a million miles away from stores.  UPS is kind of a lifeline for me but I didn't expect him today, because the standing waters are 2-3 feet deep in places out here...

we have a river on each side of us ( about 1 mile away)  Illinoise and Rough and Ready and usually they are little cricks, not a problem at all, but right now people are getting their sand bags.  The hubs just came in so far so good.....now if SueAnn is doing this well I will be happy, comeone TEXAS no more fires
dilu

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Dilu wrote:

we have a river on each side of us ( about 1 mile away)  Illinoise and Rough and Ready and usually they are little cricks, not a problem at all, but right now people are getting their sand bags.  The hubs just came in so far so good.....now if SueAnn is doing this well I will be happy, comeone TEXAS no more fires
dilu

Boy, I really wish we could take away some of your water and rain out there on the West Coast!!  Our usual total annual rainfall is around 35 inches and we've only had 18 inches this year . . . . very dry!  It was a quiet day today for fires because the wind wasn't blowing much, but there is considerable concern for the weekend, especially New Year's Day.  The wind is supposed to be very gusty and it's gonna be warm for this time of year.  We have a ban on ANYTHING that could start a fire and that includes fireworks, welding, burning fireplaces (too warm, anyway), burning leaves/trash outdoors, throwing matches/cigarettes out car windows, etc.  Of course, New Year's Eve is the time for fireworks, but the authorities say they are going to be VERY strict on enforcing absolutely NO fireworks . . . you will go to jail.  Yesterday in a neighboring county, some idiot was playing with fireworks, started a fire that burned 300 acres, demolished a lady's trailer home and two cars, and killed all 12 of her animals . . . she did survive and the guy was arrested.  (That was the smoke we were smelling when we went walking yesterday.)  So - until we get a good soaking rain, we will be in danger of literall going up in smoke!  Thanks for your concern, Dilu, and I certainly hope you don't get flooded!  :hug:   :hug:

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Ahhh gee, Sue Ann, I know how you are feeling.  The weather is at the same conditions to what it was three years ago, when we had those horrible fires. Like your state, we are have a ban on fires also.  Also includes fireworks.

Goodluck Sue Ann, I hope the fires stop and everything is safe!  I also hope Australia doesn't have another bad fire season!

Danni

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Judi - when I read the title of your post I thought..... "kick it", "swear at it","toss it out the window"..... that was before I actually read your post.

My HP P4 laptop didn't have a lot of memory (until yesterday when hubby came home with more memory for it!!). We found that my photo editing software (when running) took up a lot of memory. But it doesn't sound like memory is your problem. I wish I had something to offer.

If you do buy another computer I have to say that HP is great when it works but when it doesn't and you have to call them for help it's a nightmare...... I'm not sure about now but the last time we had trouble (2 yrs ago) we had to call a toll number, sit on hold for 45 minutes to wait to talk to someone and then that person didn't have a clue and we ended up shipping our computer back to them in exchange for one that was to be brand new but turned out to be refurbished. That was just OUR experience. We keep buying Hewlet Packard computers anyway! Go figure!  bear_wacko

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Hi Judi,

We have been using Apple computers now for about 6 years, they are just so neat.
We have used the older blue computer Apple ( can't remember the name ) for 6 years and the only problems we had were to upgrade more memory. Also they do not seem to get virus's as there are not as many people using them.
We have just bought a new G5 and they do not take up a lot of desk space.
I thought I would not like changing from a PC but have never missed them.

Sorry to hear about the flooding Dilu, in your area and SueAnn you have the other extreme -  fire risks.
Stay safe.

Hugs
Carolyn

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

I had similar problems with my computer just over a year ago (does yours also crash? or develop odd faults?). It went on for a few months and then one day the hard-drive went kapput...I switched it on, and nothing happened. So the faults and the slowdown had been due to an increasing number of physical faults on the hard-drive (according to the computer guy who fixed it). Luckily the rest of the computer was ok, so it has a new hard-drive now and is working fine. Touch wood!

Hopefully this isn't your problem but (just in case) make sure you have everything backed up. I've since found out that hard-drives have an average life of around 5 years, which was the case with ours (mind you, it gets a hammering!).

Hope it sorts itself out and you find out what the problem is!  :hug:

PS Is it only slow when you're online? Could it be a connection problem???

PPS When we need to replace our computer I'm seriously thinking about Dell...I've heard lots of good things about them  bear_original

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

We got a Dell. We ordered online and got it at a fantastic price. There was a code in a computer magazine that you used to get extra discount. We have not seen cheaper since, even with Dell. I would get one of those What computer mags that they do. We paid £301. The ones at all the schools are Dell too, so I suppose they get some hammering.

Judi,

One thing I missed in your original post, "5 years old". If you computer is that old, buy a new one. The count down has begun for the power supply or hard drive to fail and it could be what slowing it down. 5 years is old in computer age. bear_original

I would say you could spend a little to upgrade but computers are so cheap now that your better off buying new.

P.S.
I built / sold computers for a number of years.

You can also download a program called adaware, http://www.lavasoft.de . Get the personal edition, it is free.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Thank you so much for all the posts everyone.  It has helpled me a lot.  I think, like Teddy_bears_org suggested that the time has come to just buy a new one.  Good bye headaches.....I hope :pray:

Board footer