Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi there,
     It's 1:15 a.m. and I'm so tired my eyes ache, but every time I go to bed I start to cough.  I went to the doctor today, and it's nothing that needs antibiotics, but the over the counter stuff isn't working.  Anyone know any home remedies?  I've had it about a week - caught it from my grandson, but I think I have picked up a new one from my son.  He came home from Japan with a nasty cough.  I've even picked up Camphorated Oil to heat up and rub on my throat  and that's something I haven't done since my kids were small and lived at home.  Anyway, I'm game for just about anything - if I have to drink one more hot cup of tea I'm going to ralf!!

Hugs,

Brenda

Jo-Ann G Budd Bears Boutique
BC, Canada

Hi Brenda:

Sorry to hear you are under the weather.  That nagging, tickling cough at night is the worst.  I usual get the Robitussin "DM" (cough suppressant).  I would also be interested in any home remedies out there.

Hope you feel better soon and all the best for the New Year.

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Brenda so sorry to hear your not feeling too good... I use cider vinegar and honey in warm water just sip it ..... I hope it helps

Thanks for the tips, I think I'll try the vinegar and honey.  I'm off to try it and see if I can get some sleep!  Night night.

Hugs,

Brenda

nettie scotland
Website

Hi Brenda,
Hopefully you are a bit better.I am sure I told you to eat ginger before and you said you didn't like it.The ginger in syrup is the best but sugar coated works too.You must eat a lot of it.Rough food like crisps are good too.I had galandular fever years ago and then had my throat scraped(what fun) and a nurse told me rough food that makes your muscles move is best.Loads of ginger, rough food then a spoonful of glycerine before bed.Sounds like a fun evening????Good luck!!!
Diane xxxx

Hi Diane,
     Yes, I remember you mentioning ginger before - do lots gingersnap cookies count LOL!  I've never heard of taking glycerine but I have some, so I might give it a go tonight if things are still bad.  I can't even remember the last time I felt this awful for such a long time - oh, the joys of grandchildren!   Hope you and Hayley have a wonderful New Year.  Take care!

Hugs,

Brenda

nettie scotland
Website

Glycerine has always been used in my family Brenda.It tastes nice too.I am not sure about the ginger cookies although they are rough I suppose.
I hope you wake up better in 2006!!!!
Take care
Diane xxxxxx

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

Sorry to hear you're under the weather, Brenda. Here's a Polish remedy that my fiancee likes. I can't remeber if it's just for a cold or if it will help a cough. He is STILL in bed, so I'll ask when he wakes up. Anyway, a cup of hot milk with garlic, butter and honey. The garlic needs to be minced then squished real good to get the juices flowing. It sounds disgusting, but I have to say I was surprised the first time I tried it.

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Oh you poor thing!!!!! When I am feeling that awful and truly can't lay down without feeling like I am going to hack up a lung, I must say that I do rely on over the counter cold remedies with lots of Dextromethorphan.  Maybe a hot toddy would help as well?  I also gargle with salt water. 
In my husband's family they mash two cloves of garlic into a paste, add some lemon juice and Kosher or sea salt... then they add about 1/4 cup of boiling water, and chug!!!!
Of course,  that's how all Egyptian things start out... "well you take 65 cloves of garlic......" I swear, whether you are cooking, cleaning, getting rid of a cold, warding off evil spirits.... It's always garlic! 

I do hope you feel better!!!! My parents refer to my kids as "the little germ factories" on occasion!  They do bring home every bug imaginable, don't they!?

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Hi folks,
     Thanks for all the suggestions - it's so silly - I'm not bad when I'm up on my feet.   It's just when I get horizontal, that the cough becomes unmanageable.  Diane, I'm armed with a big bag of gingersnaps and a fresh bottle of glycerine.  Even if only the glycerine will help my cough, I'm sure the cookies will make me feel better LOL.  I also started taking my hubbies Moducare - it's an immune booster, so I'm hopping it helps too.  The fact he is walking around unscathed, after our son and I have been coughing all over the house for a week, should tell me something!  It was also the stuff that cured our cat's corneal ulcer, after we had spent over $1000.00 at the vet, with no results.  So, at least I now feel that I am being pro-active.  Take care!
                                                                    Hugs,

Brenda

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

I hate to say it but BUCKLY'S is the only way!!! I hope this helps!!!

Many Hugs Louise

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi all,
         Diane ,I to beleive in glycerine,but What type of Ginger would you recommend ??/.
       Louise ,Inform me what is Buckly's???

Lots of New Year Hugs    Rita xxx

PS. Brenda ,I hope you feel better soon.  Rita x

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Hi Brenda,

Have you tried a hot lemon and honey drink? I find that helps especially if you take it with a panadol
or neurofen.
I hope that you are feeling better soon - not a good time of the year to be feeling unwell.

Hugs
Carolyn

AnnG Childhood Treasures
Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA

the cool air mister is a great help, as the dry air is the culprit. I've even slept sitting up with a warm, wet facecloth over  my nose and mouth. Gargling with the warm salt water is great for sore throats, and put the vix vaporub on your back between your shoulder blades, it works better then on your chest. So perk up those pillows and, turn on the mister and sleep. bear_thumb

Board footer