Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  Hope isn't doing well according to the latest update from Sue Mansfield.  Lily's milk is drying up and Baby Hope is emaciated.  It appears that the 5 days without mama's milk has taken a big toll on Hope's health.  I believe the researchers are totally dedicated to doing whatever it takes to save her life at this point.  Please continue to send your best wishes to both bears, Sue, and Lynn.  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

puca bears puca bears

Oh  - this is just so sad. Poor little cubbie - she doesn't deserve this.
As you say, Sue Ann, Lynn & Sue are going to try everything to keep her alive.........and I'm sure they will get tons of support.
LOts of positive thoughts, well wishes and prayers needed too.........
I so didn't want to hear this news....... bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry
huggies
Maria

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I was on FB this morning and read the sad news.  I think that for my own mental health I need to stay away from the computer for a while.  I was a basket case for 5 days, and now I am crying again.  I will put my faith in God and Dr Lynn and Sue, that all is the way it was meant to be no matter what the outcome.  I just can't watch it unfold. 

So I am going to work on bears and stay away from the internet for a while.

Be back in a couple weeks,

Joanne

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

I read the update a few minutes ago and thought I was going to be sick  bear_cry This cub has totally captivated me.  I'm with you Joanne, I just told my husband I don't I know if  can follow this anymore it just breaks my heart.  That being said, I'll keep praying that she gets well, but also that I just accept whatever the outcome may be.  I won't give up Hope, she is one tough cookie !

NancyL123 Nancy's Menagerie
New York

Sue posted that she fed Hope some formula and pecans this morning, and she seems perkier today.

puca bears puca bears

Yes - it is a bit more encouraging!  One step at a time.................
huggies
Maria

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

So sad, I hope and pray everything turns out well! Nature is sad sometimes, think of the little cubs that don't get any help  bear_cry

puca bears puca bears

Just up and logged into FB...........and it's GOOD news - Hope is so much better :dance:  :dance:  :dance:
The formula food Lynn and Sue are bringing her seems to be doing the trick, and she's back   to playing with Lily.......she's still nursing , or trying to, and the thought is that Lily's milk should start to come in again........
Please HOPE - no more traumas........nerves totally shot, here! :crackup:
huggies
Maria

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Yep, it's great news again . . . "this cub is going to make it", said Sue Mansfield in the update.  Don't know if I can survive another rollercoaster ride on the 'down' part - just keep it going up, up, up!   :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Pooh!  Rollercoaster headed down again.  Sue Mansfield was giving hope her formula and Mama Lily became extremely nervous.  Turns out that her mom, June, had come into Lily's territory again.  Hope climbed up high in a tree and Lily took off again.  She's now bedded down about a mile from from the tree . . . so Hope is alone once again but, fortunately, with a full tummy.  Don't know if this old lady will survive another week like the last one.  Stay tuned if you can stand the drama.

puca bears puca bears

You and me both, Sue Ann...........I swear I get greyer by the hour! But one good thing is that Hope now knows that Lynn & Sue mean FOOD...........and I'm sure someone is keeping a close eye on what's happening.
BTW - I'll be back later to announce the winner of the raffle..........I'm thrilled to bits with the total raised for the NABC

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Hope is missing.......... again............

I'm beginning to like it better when I wasn't aware of what went on the wild! This is so stressful and mainly because we're witnessing events we have no prior knowledge of to know if this is "normal" bear behavior or not. We apply our human emotions and child rearing beliefs to the circumstances but that may not be the appropriate thing to do as these are wild bears we're dealing with... not humans. I'd like to think they have similar instincts but we don't now!

If Lily and Hope get reunited again I think they need to be tied together until next spring. Parents get "leashes" for their kids but in this case I think Hope needs a leash for her Mom.

Trying to understand the relationship between adult bears is a hard one for us to grasp too... and apparently also for Lily. The fact her own mom doesn't want her anywhere near by is heart breaking to us though natural in the wild. I haven't read what a territorial bear might do to another momma bear's cub.... and I don't think I want to know.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Well, folks . . . the update tonight is not good.  That's about all I can manage to say at the moment.  Send your best vibes to the bears and thanks.

puca bears puca bears

Trying to feel positive here too but I can hardly hold back the tears........hard to do anything with everything crossed for Hope..........

lemon wolf bear 1 Lemon Wolf Bears
Northern MN.
Website

Just read the update....How sad, it is very cold here, only 37.   I feel like driving to Ely and having a look around, ( only 60 miles from me). If they find Hope I am thinking they may have to take her or at the very least put a tracking device on her in case she is lost again, that is what we were thinking they should of done last time she was lost. I don't know what to think....just pray for them both!  Hugs, Susan.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Dr. Rogers has said Hope is still too small for a collar which is their only tracking option from what I understand. I've thought about them taking her in to the center and raising her. That would be TOTALLY intervening and defeat the whole "Hope Study" though. However it would give us all a first hand look at what is involved with raising and releasing a bear cub so all wouldn't be totally lost I guess.

I'm sure Lynn and Sue are at just as much of a loss here. We just have to wait....... hate that...... I'm not a patient person!

Northern MN.
Website

Actually there are other tracking options, but expensive and also I think they are trying to not be too invasive.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

That's why I said that a collar is "their only tracking option". Of course there are other options out there. Perhaps in the future......

Northern MN.
Website

Oh, I see. I guess I misunderstood you.

Anyhoo...off to work, and still thinking of taking a drive that way...maybe if I bring Fleur ( my girlie bear) with me Hope will spy her and come over and give her a BIG SNUGGLY HUG!!!!! Everyone knows teddies can bring out miricles!!!   Hugs, Susan. bear_wub

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

The update for tonight on our bears is very troubling.  It seems as though Lily has abandoned Hope and the researchers are weighing 4 options about what to do with our baby bear.  They are leaning toward letting her survive (or not) on her own, supplementing with the special formula.  Although she was alive earlier in the day, nobody has seen her recently so . . . . . . we wait.   bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Yes, I just read all that too. bear_noexpression
I don't know what to think. I wanna know what Lily's deal is. She's not even looking for Hope by the sounds of things. She seemed to be so pleased to see Hope again when they were reunited but it doesn't seem to take much for her to run off and leave her again. Something seems "off" to me. But then again... I'm not a bear.
So yes, we wait.......................... bear_ermm

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

I agree, I think something is really wrong with Lily, does not seem like she would leave Hope again :(
So sad, I hope and pray that things will work out  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I agree that something might be "off." Our beloved Lily seems (from my human point of view) to have a screw loose. She's overly concerned about her mother June being nearby, and under-concerned about her cub. As soon as Hope is out of sight, she's also out of mind -- permanently, it seems.

I'm very fond of both bears and have learned a lot. For that I'm grateful.

Becky

puca bears puca bears

Roller coaster still gong on! I read an article yesterday that said that 3yo bears are not the best mothers.........they DO seem to lose interest and abandon their cubs - ROTTEN for poor little Hope.And from the latest update it seems that some of the female bears are swapping their territories.........maybe the boys have gone off somewhere to get ready to watch the World Cup?
Fingers crossed today - hoping that the trail cameras have spotted Hope, and that it IS her eating the food.............my nerves won't take much more.
huggies
Maria

puca bears puca bears

GOODnews time!!!!!!! :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:
Latest (mini) update........"Hope is alive and looking good"
That little cub is amazing! :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

Board footer