Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Rich1988 aRTy Bears
Burton, Staffs

Hey

I think I've posted about this before but I'm now desperate.
I simply cannot get ladder stitch. It's the only thing about bear making that makes me want to cry !!

I'm taking it so slow, taking small stitches, pulling every two stitches to ensure its tight, squeezing the fabric together but once I'm finished tied off and thinking I'm in the clear I look in the middle and 3-4 stitches showing which have come loose and are showing stuffing etc.

What am I doing wrong? Could I be over stuffing? But if that's the case how do you get a hard stuff without ruining the chance of ladder stitch?
Once done it's actually not bad, quite smooth now, can't be felt that much but obviously stitching which isn't actually holding a bear together is no good

Any help would be greatly gratefully appreciated.... pretty please.
If any one can provide a photograph of them doing ladder stitch I would be over the moon.

How do any other new bear makers find ladder stitch?
For the more experienced, how long did it take you until you got the hang of ladder stitch?

Thanks.
Richard
x

enchantmentsart Feather Heart Creations
TX

I had the same issue when I started sewing. The ladder stitch or blind stitch was one thing I just couldn't get. They always looked "puffy" and did not hind well. It wasn't until I got some curved needles that I was able to do it right. One I started doing this stitch with a curved needle it was easy! I'll try to take some picture if I can. Also do you have any bear making books? Most books will show this stitch and I found that was a big help too.

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

I ladder stitch all my openings, and always have.  The best tips I can give you are:

1. take very small stitches
2. make sure you go straight across the opening to take the next stitch, don't go at an angle
3. regularly pull the thread to close the stitches over
4. don't overstuff, it shouldn't be difficult to get the 2 sides to meet.  You can always add a tiny bit of stuffing up under the stitches you've done when you're further down the opening if you feel you have a bit of a sutffing gap (depending on the size of the opening obviously!)

I usually use the invisible thread, which slides a lot more easily through the material when trying to tighten, but beware not to leave it too long before trying to tighten as it breaks if you pull really, really hard!

HTH

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I also use a curved needle for the ladder stitch, and even when I was just starting out, I didn't have any trouble with the stitch. (It DID take some practice to keep the stitch size even and to do as Katy suggests -- right angles.)

I use two strands of a heavy-duty thread for the job.

Becky

JanetB Posts: 112

If you google "Monicasattictreasures" and find the link to the free tutorials, one is about closing back seams using ladderstitch.  You have to email Monica and ask for that tutorial which is excellent with close-up photos and detailed instructions.  Hope this helps.  BTW I have noticed that some ladder-stitch instructions involve a "horizontal" stitch ie paralled with the back opening, whilst others show a taking a stitch in the opposite (cross-wise) direction.
Hope this helps. Jan

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Here's a previous discussion we had here long ago on the ladder stitch. Post #12 by Loretta Rock is very helpful. She has since passed away. She was a wonderful woman and very talented bear artist who never hesitated to share her knowledge.
http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=3584

Rich1988 aRTy Bears
Burton, Staffs

Fantastic. Thank you everyone.
Think I can see where I need to improve now and I think I was write in that part of it is overstuffing!
Bring on the next limb.
I have to admit though, have checked the legs I've done and part of it was my OCD kicking in as they're not bad. I redid 1 (out of 4) but other than that I'm quite happy... must stop stressing  bear_tongue
By the way, have ordered my curved needles from Bear Basics hehe.

Richard
x

JanetB Posts: 112

I'm about to restuff a teddy head for the third time in the quest for perfection and symmetry so I don't think your OCD is anything to worry about. bear_thumb

Rich1988 aRTy Bears
Burton, Staffs

Just to let you all know.... you're stars.
Bear Basic's curved needles, you're tips and I've just completed THE BEST ladder stitch ever. I'm so pleased, had to share.
Hope it wasn't just a fluke  bear_tongue

Richard
x

Board footer