Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Rich1988 aRTy Bears
Burton, Staffs

Hey Everyone

I'm off at the moment with the questions aren't I?  bear_tongue

So, at the moment I'm working on a big polar bear, where the neck edge is a simply gather stitch on both the head and the body... simply enough. However, now that I've come to joint I've noticed I can't get the joint close together to connect because the gathers on both the neck and body are keeping it pushed apart. This means you can get you hand right in the middle of the neck/head which is obviously not what I was going for.
Does anyone have any help? How can I get around this? How can I get the joint tighter? How does everyone else avoid this?

Thanks.
Richard
x

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Are you trying to use cotter pin or nut and bolt joints?  I tend to use nut and bolt because you can tighten them down a lot more than cotter pins (well, I can anyway!)  Also have you trimmed the pile right back round there?  That helps joints stay tighter too (useful to trim back on the other joints too btw)

Pat Klein Faux Paw Bears
Tallahassee, Florida

I never use the gather method because my furs are too thick and it would never tighten down...so I started using a cap on the head...you could try this...clear off a circle around the joint and stitch into place (I use my ladder stitch and works fine) and trim the fur around the joint for a tighter fit....you can do the same if you still don't have enough clearance with the body....or dart the body up to the top and simply close it at top depending upon your design...I've also done that.  Currently I'm using the capped end for both head and body and loven' it...I can actually give my bears "NECKS!"

Hope this makes sense....

Pat

Board footer