Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

I have just done my first skin bear ..I used a lamb skin... I did a new design but the hips of the Bear are huge and I don't like it at all is this a factor with using skin??? I have not had this problem with any of my other bears..... well I have never noticed it as much as this one.... I have taken the legs off again and I will try to use a larger disc to see if that helps but I am sure I used the largest one I could get in..... any suggestions ladies

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Hi Patsy

It could partly be the use of the skin rather than mohair - even though mohair doesn't have a lot of give in it - it does stretch a little - especially on areas like the tummy where the lower part can be on a curve on the grain of the fabric - meaning it stretches more.   Using the biggest possible disc size will help.

I'm not sure what shape your leg is - but you could try narrowing the width of the curve at the top of the legs if you make more of these bears in the future. 

Anyway - I'm sure it's not as bad as you think!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original  Patsy,

You could try solving the problem with a bit of careful needlesculpting around the disk area. Fur won't stand many holes, so you'd have to experiment with some pinching and squeezing beforehand. The only other remedy I can think of is to undo a seam and remove some of the hip stuffing--I wish it were that simple for humans!

Eileen

Board footer