Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Up until now, all my rovings were merino wool, but I had some NZ Corriagale (sp)    I surelyhave had difficulty with it.  It seems kinkier, and harder to get down to a super hard stage.

Is there a secret with this stuff?  Or do I just need to be more patient?

I was working on a leg and I actually had the stuff fall apart because I thought I could felt it a little harder and it disagreed.

Interested in all replies.....

I am glad I don't have very much of this type roving, mostly Merino, but it would be nice to know how to do it better.

dilu

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Ya know, Dilu, I stick with wool Batt becuase it works so well for me and I get the really firm smooth results I desire.  Sorry...I can't comment on your roving.

I can say that I have worked with some rovings and I find them to take much longer to felt down and they never really get that firm firm finish that I like.

What do you mean by wool Bat?

Is that like what I used to use in quilts?

dilu

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

What is the difference between roving and batt? I have always used wool roving... is batt easier to felt than roving???

I don't know, Kimmy, I hope someone will give us a link so we can look at it......Judiiiiiiiiii   where are youuuuuuuu?

I used bat for quilts, but I don't think thats what she is talking about......so I am lost

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

She is around here somewhere... JUDI come out come out wherever you are ... he he he  bear_tongue

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Thank you Judi for mentioning wool batt. I always thought I was a fault with my felting. Now I know I'm not.
So will have to get me some of that BATT.         
                                                                Matilda bear_thumb

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Dilu, I always use NZ Corriedale wool, I find it felts very quickly for me, I primarily use  36T or 40T needles to felt.

I have difficulties using Merino, what size needles are you using?

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I prefer using the batt as well. Luckily I live near a wool exchange and am able to get large quantities of the stuff very cheaply. It can be dyed in different colours as well.

Marion

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

I may be wrong but how I understand the difference between roving and batt is that Roving all lays in one direction.  The batt has the fibers going different directions to each other.  I can't remember where I read it, but it was recommended that if you were using roving to pull it apart and lay it in different directions then roll it all up into a ball before starting to felt.  By doing that you were making your own batt.
Donna

DSC01401.JPGDSC01402.JPGDSC01400.JPGHmmm, thats interesting Donna, I do mes my stuff up first before starting.

Only because Barbara Allen's book said to though.....I wouldn't have know otherwise.

Hi Karen, I start out using the biggest needles- which I think is 32-I just looked at it and I can't tell you what the number is.  It is a handle that has 5 needles in it and it gets the scut work out of the way realy fast; here's a some pics.

I love this tool- it makes short work of that boring time when you are just starting with a wad of wool

I have seen some of these that didn't have the ability to change the needles, I got this one because I can change the needles if one breaks

So I am still a little confused on batt- can someone point me in the right direction so I can see it?

dilu

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Dilly, I have one of those thingamabobbers to and lots and lots of needles!  When I first started felting, i broke needles all the time!

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Thanks Dilu, I have seen these gadgets before, I was wondering if they worked well. Thanks

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Roving, wool batt ... this is a new language to learn!

I've been hunting around and bothering friends for further info and from what I've garnered, it seems that there are few rules to needlecrafting!  In my hunt for wool batt (still hunting by the way!) I've been advised that polyester fibre will provide a good firm base too and that some felters prefer to use fleece in its virtually raw state, whilst others 'mess up' their roving and get started straight onto that ...

I had no idea that the possibilities were so broad with this craft!  I'm looking forward hugely to learning how to get started with Judi and for me, the results she achieves are stunning, so if that takes wool batt to get started with, then wool batt I shall find!  bear_happy

Yep Paula

It seems whatever we can come up with that works well.....works!  That is really neat because it does give you more latitude in what you do. 

My poor honey is going to make an armature for me, and I am going to pad and bulk it up with cotton batt left over from quilting.  Then cover that with the wool .....I think I will lightly felt the rovings in sheets, or larger pieces and then felt it to the cotton bat. and then......

haven't a clue.....quess I'll take it from there when I get there..... bear_grin

hmmmmm

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Felted-bears-012.jpgOh Hello!!!!

I only use wool Batt or Batting (Ithtink it is called Batt for short).  The roving, like Donna mentioned needs to be pulled apart and "reconfigured" if you will.  I stand by and swear by batt and have acheived allthe results you see from my work.  The Batt felts down beautifully and quickly and is not slppery or lumpy at all.  It also comes in a large variety of colors.

I start with a 32 single needle and work down to a 40 for the finishing details.

Paula, I have heard of people using poly stuffing...That is not something I would use.  I think it would interfere with my creative process.  Wool is so cheap I don't see the need to use the poly filling...plus I think poly filling is quite slippery and will not felt or fell the same as wool batt. I want my whole peice top be unifrom and know that it contains all natural fibers...just my personal feelings though.

Every needle felted piece I do is from wool batt.  That is not to say that other wools wouldn't work, but if something works for me, I tend to stick with it.

I hope this helps.

Kent
Website

Beautiful bears Judi!  I'm awestruck!

I must admit, I very much prefer the idea of working with natural fibre and even when knitting, prefer to use pure wool, so I understand what you are saying.  My problem at the moment is locating the batt here in the UK!  I'm wondering if perhaps it is called something different here ... I've looked at websites, but can't find anything listed specifically as batt!   bear_sad

Carrie has kindly offered to send me a sample from her own supply (she's my angel of the week!  bear_innocent ) so that is a terrific help.  I've also emailed a company she suggested called Wingham Wool here in the UK.  I've pleaded my ignorance - I'm sure they must supply what I need, but I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

One way or another, I will be ready, willing and able on the 9th!!  bear_happy

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Paula, I have registered with the class !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!just need to get hold of Nancy to give her my credit card details, I called last night but got her answering phone. Will try again today.
I have pens, needles, wool, but wool batt ???? not even going to try calling anyone here as being partially deaf and my hearing aids needing to be  adjusted,I cant hear on the telephone  so I suppose they will say , here is someone  that is "Batty", so will have to make do with what I have.
Judi if this is difficult I am going to come over and spank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, never mind learning something new, I should be making bears for Japan , doing my son's accounts and making clothes for my new grand child that is on its way, and never mind people waiting for some orders.
bear_original Lynette

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

LEO3portrait.jpgI did Judi's class. Highly recommend it. I did Leo here with roving. I messed all the srands into what I call fluff. Noone told me to do this ,it just seemed to make sense.
I love this bear, so am just posting him as an excuse to skite.hahahahah bear_grin

Kent
Website

He's so cute Matilda!  Love his colour too!  I'm really looking forward to getting started.  bear_thumb

Lynette, great to hear you've registered - I think we'll have a great time and I'm certain we're going to learn heaps!!  bear_original

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Luna_RESZ.jpgLUNA_CU02.jpgLyntte, you can come over anytime!!!  But if you do we will be needle felting for sure!!! It is very very addicting and very easy.  The hardest part about learning is getting used to the feel of what you need to do. When I first started I was clueless....I just took some wool and started poking with some very basic directions that came with my wool kit.  I got a feel over time of how to turn and squash and roll as I poked and turned, poked and turned.  I'll help you all every step of the way.

I just made another new bear that I am very pleased with.  I'll post her piccie here in a moment.
Luna is wearing a bracelet as a necklace that my dear sweet sister (now in heaven) made.

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Judi this bear is adorable, if I can achieve this one day I will come over and hug you, and forget about the spanking part.I am looking forward to learning this and it will be a new experience learning via the computer.
I still need to sort my visa payment out for this course. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hugs Lynette. bear_original
p.s. I think your sister is watching over my baby girl that was taken from me so many years ago

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Oh Lynette...you have lost a loved one too. :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  bear_wub

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Lynnette and Judi  :hug:   :hug:   :hug:

Board footer