Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Deb Upstate New York

attic-south-end.jpgattic-north-end.jpgOkay guys ...

The attic needed to be insulated, and while we were at it, we decided to finish it off into a sewing loft/studio.  End to end, it's 31 feet.  On the picture labeled North End, the work area from the white box on the West side, to the wall on the East, and from the North wall to the stairs, is 12' x 13'. 

I think it's in this area I want to set up sewing machines and work counters/tables.  I don't really want to work with my back to the stairs, so I'll set up to face the stairs ... somehow.

On the South end, I want to build a light closet.  Lots of storage space on that end.  The area labeled West will have access, and some of this (not all) can be used for storage. 

There is obviously ZERO natural light, so am looking for your suggestions for lighting, and work layout.  I just am at a loss.  I got home from work, hubby had the contractor here, and he'll be here to start laying out electric Thursday.  I have to be prepared with instruction on where to put outlets, etc.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Any way you can put skylights in the roof??  What a fantastic work area you will have - I'm reeeeaaalllyy jealous!  If you can't install skylights, I would have lots of bright, overhead lighting.

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

Wow Deb! That will be wonderful! You will have lots of room and storage space in there. I would use florescent lights with the bulbs that give you the full spectrum light, they show the natural colors just as if you were outside. As for how many outlets, I would have them put  outlets all the way around, every 6 - 8 feet and then you can move your stuff anywhere that you want it. bear_original  bear_original Oh, I am so happy for you! that will be so much fun to organize!...and so nice to work in when it is done!

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

How lucky are you ,what a great place to hang out huddy will never see you now bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

What a wonderful sewing area to have .... I think if you put up plenty of lighting it should be OK or even a sky light above where your going to have the machine...

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

Wow Nice bear_whistle
I think the Flourescent is the way to go.
Kathy

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Wow, what a great space! Lucky girl! bear_thumb

Skylights would be awesome, flourescent the next best thing.

The best advice I can give is to put in about twice as many outlets as you think you need. I always seem to need one more spot to plug something in.

Don't forget to show us what it looks like when it is done! bear_original

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I love the idea of skylights, but if that can't be done what about using some 'natural light' bulbs?  They are sold in craft stores here.  Would they be helpful?  (By the way, I've never used any so I'm just grabbing at straws here!)  bear_original

Deb Upstate New York

Skylights not an option (just now).

What's full spectrum lighting Terrie?

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

i don't know what full spectrum lighting is but in Australia we have light bulbs called daylight lights and it is really just like daylight.  they are really fantastic.
I would have an l shape desk come off of the North wall so that you can walk behind it and face the stairs while designing and be side on while sewing (or vice versa).
The L shape wopuldn't look out of place coming off of the back wall if you don't want it to one side.  a lot like an office set up. You could then also have open shelves or cupboards in the low eaves so you can set everything out and not waste that space at all.

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

Deb, I would look into the daylight bulbs, unless you have worked under flourescent bulbs before.  This is just a personal experience, but I don't do well under Flourescent lighting.  I don't know how to explain what it does to me, but I get terrible headaches and feel just plain yucky.  I also don't like the cast that flourescent puts on things, sort of a 'too bright blueish'.  I have a real aversion to those bulbs  bear_cry

If you have worked under them before and don't have the same reaction that I do...then they are a very cost efficient way to light.  Many people do just fine with them.
I too, love the sky lights.  I would have a roof full of them, if given the choice.  My house would look like one giant bubble!!
Nancy

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

Oh, forgot to mention...you can use parabolic (not sure of the spelling here) lighting.  That is flourescent with a grid over it that seems to block the brightness and make them more acceptable and a lot nicer to work under.
Nancy

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

Deb, Full spectrum lights are the same as daylight bulbs or natural light bulbs, I guess that it is just another name for them. I agree with Bonnie, put in twice as many outlets as you think that you will need, it seems like you just never have enough.

Deb Upstate New York
whiteforestbears wrote:

WOW!! That is going to be so awesome!!!!  Jealous over here! I'm working on the kitchen table!!!

I've done my kitchen table time, believe me!  Family is tired of bear fur balls in their soup!  :hug:

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I have a sewing room all set up for my machines and supplies but since I hand sew my bears I work in lazy-girl chair with a couple of lamps with the daylight bulbs. I was surprised at the difference they made.

Marion

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I usually use sodium lights, like the kind used for greenhouses.  They're brilliant for getting the natural daylight colours.  The one 'drawback' is that they do throw heat.  For living on the Oregon coast where it seemed 40* to 50*F year round, this was actually a bonus and seemed to drop our heating bill.  But if you live where the temps spike into the 90*s or 100*s you'll bake! 

One thing I would suggest, no matter the lighting is to paint the walls white so as to reflect as much light as possible.  If you feel cramped at all, or in need of a view, posters of landscapes on the walls, and mirrors will make it seem much roomer. 

As for the electrical outlets...yes, put them everywhere!!!  I find it so frustrating to have to run extension cords everywhere because the plugs are in inconvienent places. 

:hug:  I'm so happy for you getting your very own sewing room!!  :hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Deb,
Leave room for me!  bear_laugh

I like the idea of an L shaped desk/work table if you can manage it.

If you plan to have your work area face the stairway then I'm thinking your table won't be up against a wall? What about putting an outlet in the floor where your table will be? I'd give anything to have an outlet or even a strip of outles in my floor. I have all those awful cords and the silly pwer strip that I always get my feet tangled up in!

Outlets EVERYWHERE!!! What ever the code is, do at least that many!!

I have an outlet in my closet for the dustbuster and other rechargeables. Very handy.

I agree with the others on lighting. Have as much as possible. I'm afraid you'll start feeling like you are in a cave over time if it's not 'bright as day' in there!!! Mounted ceiling lights would be ideal... That would leave no dark corners. And little to no shadows on your workspace. You may still want a light or two on your worktable.

Will you have a photo shoot area?

What color are you painting the walls?

Ooo, I'm so excited for you!!!!!

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon
Daphne wrote:

Ooo, I'm so excited for you!!!!!

Me too...have fun making this your own!!!

Shantell

Stephanie Sassy Bears & Fabrics
Aurora, Colorado

What I would give for my own studio! You are soooo lucky!
I like all sorts of lights. My 'fabric room' has flourouescent (both cool white & warm white) and incancescent fixtures. It's amazing how colors change with the lighting. Sometimes, I walk around with swatches to each different lighting source to see if they still match. No one kind gives perfect light, so I mix them all in the same room.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

How fun Deb!  I agree with Sue Ann...Skylights...if at all possible.  They give wonderful natural light. 

If you go to Home Depot they have every kind of light imaginable.  I am sure they could set you up very nicely.  Good luck!

Deb Upstate New York

untitled.JPGL shape like this?  Looks strange on this picture, but there's lots of room.

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Yep something like that.  You can move the L desk to whereever you wish if you can get power in the floor.
glad you knew what I meant sometimes I really am not too clear on the ideas.

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

I am so jealous....I have one tiny living room and even though there's just me, there's still not enough space. 

One thing I would suggest in terms of storage is to have some very shallow and wide drawers  near the top of your desk (kind of like mini map cabinet drawers if you know  what they are)  Then you can put your most used tools in there in a single layer.  If you line it with felt or a surface that has a grip on it, then they will stay in their spaces and there is no more fishing around in a deep drawer, where no matter how tidy you are, things get tangled up.

Deb Upstate New York

Thank you for all the great ideas.  Took a trip to Lowe's Home Improvement last night and found an entire line of "daylight" bulbs.  They also are available in fluorescent. 

Melissa ... I know exactly what you mean by long shallow drawers.  Great idea.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original  Deb, what a fantastic space!! Where's that green-with-envy smilie??

L-shaped desks are great. Be sure to get yourself a chair with wheels!

Eileen

Board footer