Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I am so happy for you....this will be fabulous.....

were it me I would want:

(if I couldn't have skylights or more windows)  tons of florescent lights but use the full spectrum bulbs, besides ceiling high lights flooding the place I would want spot lights that are easy to use and are stationary.

pre-create a really well light area for picture taking so that yu don't have to struggle with lights and light tents etc.

outlets everywhere  more than tyou think you will ever need

shelving that is adjustable to fit  rubbermade and sterilite boxes.  The clear boxes so yu can see whats in the box before you take it off the shelf

hanging cupboards so that my mohair can hang on skirt hangers...(no fold lines and you can go through what you have without having to drag out big containers with closet doors to keep out the dust etc.....

easy to clean shelving also with cupboard doors so that everything can be closed off from view and kept dust free

open shelving for collecting....gotta have inspiration

good quality office chair with wheels

drawers for storing small tools etc that you need by the machine

ventilation-heat wont be a problem but airconditioning?

comfy chair for doing hand work

portable lights to move around

music/movies whatever to keep you company

wow.....makes me want to go in my own room and get busy

good luck!  I hope you get everything you need and want!

hugs

dilu

I don't know what you are like Deb, but

I seem to expand to fit the sapce I have- ( not physically but collectively as in what I collect - stash) 

so create 2X the amount of storage as you think you will need.  Its easier to do it now rather than later.

I have 13-15 foot ceilings- so I have shelving going up that high for boxes of fiberfill, quilt batts, etc.

I also included  book shelves-wanted places for books, TB&F and TBR as well as books I have and books that are coming to live here.

If I had the room I would have included a printer/copier- but it had to stay in the office

I also had really deep shelves for the extra extra large rubbermade totes for yarns, interfacings etc.  Stuff I don't use alot but need to have protected and readily available

I plan on someday getting a fancy lable maker so I can label everything

Also you probably want to keep things together, paints, laces, buttons etc

When/if you do decide to have storage boxes/totes buy more than you think you will need and get different sizes..... am amazed how handy the half-shoe-box sizes are as well as shoebox size and the 2 sizes larger...

they are all so handy for all sorts of things

I would like to get organized enough that different sized discs have their own boxes etc.....I would like......

Deb Upstate New York

Dilu ~

I very much favor smaller containers (what you called shoe box size).  If the container/drawer, whatever is too big ... I might as well just toss all in one large tote!

I am definitely planning a photo area, and am presently driving Shelli nuts with questions!  bear_innocent

I definitely have a plan for a comfy chair, stereo and tv.  My own get-away.

What I think I'm looking forward to most ... is not having to take care of everything and lose time and concentration when I need to set the table for dinner!

Sounds like you're formulating a plan of your own ....  bear_grin   :hug:

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

Man do I know what you mean, My family keeps looking at the table and wondering if it is ever going to be set for dinner again. I have a big mess going on it for two days now.  Poor kids. I'll clean it off today.
It would be so nice * snif * to have a sewing room again *snif* . Our other house was much larger and I had my own room.  bear_cry I miss it. It is so nice to just leave the mess and close the door, then be able to go back and start sewing right were you left off. On the Bright side my oldest daughter has 1 1/2 years before she heads off to college. I already have plans for her room! bear_original  bear_grin  bear_tongue
Deb , Your attic room will be such a haven for you! What a lucky girl.
Hugs,
Kathy

Deb Upstate New York

attic-south-end-2.jpgattic-north-end-2.jpgUpdate:

Wow!!! it is really comming along! WoooHooo!!!!  i am so excited for you Deb!!!!!

I still remember watching the progress of my room.....Give your hubby great big gollyslobber hug and kiss for helping you realize your studio dream!

bear_wub  :hug:

dilu

Deb Upstate New York

Yeah, it's coming, but I'm starting to get anxious.  And honestly people ... how DO carpenters work in such a mess?  I don't get it.  The guy who is doing this job, also helped with another addition we did, and we really like him a lot, but man ... he sure can make a mess.  I understand that's the nature of the "beast" though, and that's typical.

:dance:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wonderful, Deb . . . it'll be done in no time!  You are sooooo gonna love having your own space to work in.  A REAL studio!!  Yahoo!

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

It looks so awesome.
My room has 3 functions office/library/bear studio but over the next year we will be redesigning it.
I'm looking forward to it.  Makes me green when I see you with it .

kimkc Australia

That is the coolest thing ever bear_cool
I'd definately install more storage space than you think you'll need, same with electrical outlets, and also work space

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Wow, great progress Deb! You'll have your own bear haven before you know it! Hurray! :dance:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original  Deb,

Depending on how much head-room you need to get to your storage, you could move that storage area further left, right into the rafters, as built-in shelves or drawers, and still leave yourself floor-space to stand near them.

Eileen

Deb Upstate New York
Eileen wrote:

Depending on how much head-room you need to get to your storage, you could move that storage area further left ...

That was my thinking too!  And we talked at length about it.  The big open space in the wall at the top of the stairs will be a door to storage behind the wall.  The space back there, is above the kitchen though, and there are canister lights that I didn't want to completely and permanently cover.  Still, the width of the remaining room for work is about 13 feet. I'll have to try to get back up there to measure.  The air is so bad up there with dust and insulation and all that it's kicked the ol' asthma and allergies into overdrive.  I can't tell where my cold leaves off and allergies and asthma start this time.  Maybe if I'd stay out of the attic I could figure it out.

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Hi Deb,

How very lucky that you have your very own little Bear room.
Now all you will need is a maid to do all the housekeeping because once you get up
there will be hard to get you away from making Bears.
It is looking really great and I am sure when the dust settles your allergies will
go away. It is always like that when  building and doing alterations.
Best of luck with everything and we look forward to seeing the Attic studio's progression.

Deb Upstate New York
Carolyn Green wrote:

Now all you will need is a maid to do all the housekeeping because once you get up
there will be hard to get you away from making Bears.

Funny funny girl!  :hug:

Deb Upstate New York

Frame_20060123_04.JPGFrame_20060123_03.JPGFrame_20060123_01.JPGDetails starting to take shape!

````````````````````I love that you are posting update pictures.  It is fun to see your new dream space come to life!

Wonderful!

dilu

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

WOOHOO!!!   :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

It's looking really good!

Board footer