Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

2catkiss LALand Bears
Oregon

Hi everyone  bear_flower
My wonderful swap partner Karon sent me several pieces of Sassy fabric and I have had SUCH fun working with it.  It has been a nice change, because I have been working with real fur for so long.
I am creating some little bears for the 4 seasons Challenge.

My question is, is there a trick when putting eyes on a mini when you use Sassy.  It seems to have a bit of give or "stretch" to it.  I am using the waxy string that pulls through the loop in the eye and tie in a knot below the chin, where the neck joint is.  I pull very, very tight and get the eye to sink in, but it ends up after a few minutes pulling up from under the neck and the eye sort of "eases" it's way back out a bit.  :doh:  I can't pull any tighter.

Any advice would be appreciated very much

Kind Regards
Lee Ann

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

Lee Ann,

I use Sassy Fabrics for my miniatures and I don't have any trouble with the eyes. I am attaching them differently as I set each eye to the opposite ear.

Hugs,

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

Perhaps needle sculpting the eye socket a little?

2catkiss LALand Bears
Oregon

Great tips...thank you both!
I will keep trying. Practice, practice, practice
I LOVE this fabric and the minis are so much fun to make.

Regards
Lee Ann

Karon Posts: 751

I can WAIT to see what you do with the fabric!

baildon bears Baildon bears
west yorkshire

Your eye placement is the same as my method, but I always do my eye sockets first in the same way as you insert the eyes, this takes pressure off your eye loops, I wonder if your problem maybe that the backing fabric is so much looser than what your used to, I would try making the gap between your ends that you tighten and tie off a bit bigger as close to neck as possible so as it is hidden. I hope this helps and I have understood your problem properly. Hannah

2catkiss LALand Bears
Oregon

Thank you Hannah
Yes, this makes alot of sense  :clap: I was pulling the ends through at the same time and knotting. I need to separate the ends a bit, and let more of the "neck" fabric "bear" :crackup:  the pressure of the tightness.
Hope I am understanding you correctly.
And doing a little eye socket work first is a great tip !

I have done 3 babies now, using this fabric...working on the 4th, for the Four Seasons Challenge.  Loving each one more than the last.  The fabric is wonderful, and so much easier to sew....

Thank you so much for answering
Regards
Lee Ann

baildon bears Baildon bears
west yorkshire

Good glad I could help, just to clarify I insert one eye bringing ends out inder neck then the other and I then pull both eyes in at same time to give you even depth. When I do my eye sockets i insert strong thread up though neck to eye position back through eye position through nose bridge to other eye position out and back in eye position and finally come out at neck and pull the ends in as tight as possible and tie off. This makes your nose shape more defined. Hannah

2catkiss LALand Bears
Oregon

ahh  yes.....Totally makes sense.
this will solve another problem I've had....I can sometimes get one eye perfect...but the other is slightly looser
So much to learn.... bear_original I have Baby #4 designed and cut out...I will look forward to trying this new technique very soon.

Thank you so much bear_flower

Board footer