Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I don't have a problem with figuring out the direction of the nap, however, I always seem to have one side of my muzzle with thicker fur directly under the center of the nose.  I wish my camera had a macro feature so I could show a photo of what I mean.  No matter how carefully I pluck the seams both inside and out I always seems to be a bit thicker on one side.  What am I doing wrong? 

I am really trying to concentrate on symmetry.  Thanks for any tips!!!

Shantell

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Hi Shantell

If I'm understanding you correctly, I think your fabric is "roostering" - it tends to do it on one side much more than another - and it's where mohair going in two diff directions meet each other at the seam.  Even though you pick out your seams, this will happen unless you trim your seams.  If you want to be really persnickity, on the side that will rooster, you need to trim back the seam allowance slightly more on one of the pieces.

Normally, roostering is most apparent on curved seams, I used to consitantly get them along the curve of the forehead...and they become really obvious the smaller the bear.  Funnily enough, roostering can be harder to get rid of on sparse mohair than the dense stuff.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Shantell..I think I know what you mean...I had it a few times...which is why I try to be meticulous about trimming the head seams thoroughly before I sew...it's so annoying because no matter what you do it is impossible to pluck it out.

One thing I would say though is that I found it is so important to make sure the seam under the nose is stitched flat open when you attach the head gusset at the nose, otherwise you get a kind of raising of one side taking place which kind of bunches the pile up on the lower side..in simple terms the seam will have a step in it on one side if it's not stitched open evenly. You could try adding a couple of extra millimetres seam allowance so it's easier to keep open when you sew.....

You probably already do all this anyway but it's just a thought....

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio
melissa wrote:

If I'm understanding you correctly, I think your fabric is "roostering" - it tends to do it on one side much more than another - and it's where mohair going in two diff directions meet each other at the seam.

I've never heard it called that, but I know exactly what you mean by that!!!!!  Thanks for letting us know that there is a term for it!  I know that I used ro have this problem more often when I wasn't trimming the fur from the seam allowence before sewing.  Much less of a problem now that I trim away.... I think it can be more noticeable in a fur that is darker or lighter than it's backing.... like some of the mohairs, or even real furs are..... 

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Good question!

I've had this issue as well when I was being lazy and didn't trim my seams 1st.

Glad I'm not the only one!

Willamette Valley Oregon

Thanks...I'm going to try trimming the muzzle area a little more...but terrifies me that I'll have some kind of muscle spasm and then they'll be "hairless lips"...  bear_wub

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Well, that works, too!  I often trim my bear muzzles down to the quick, or even pluck the fur out entirely.  It just requires a firmly stuffed muzzle tip, or it looks all... bendy!

Willamette Valley Oregon
Shelli wrote:

pluck the fur out entirely.  It just requires a firmly stuffed muzzle tip, or it looks all... bendy!

I hadn't even thought of that....hmmmm...I'll try both and see what works for me.

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Roostering...I gotch there ! Thats what those little hairs do if you dont trim off the seams , I even use to get it around the sole pads,paw pads, on the face...dont like it so I trim, trim , trim or pluck it out ...er not cluck , he, he,
The other problem of the sem showing thru the fabric like a step...or looking " bendy " use to drive me nuts...yes trim or pluck the hairs out then stuff really firm. I found the problem to be worse on English mohair as the weave on the backing is looser and appears to be a tiny bit thinner...also worse on thicker furs.......Winney

Board footer