Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Hi all,

I've got a bear I made out of thick white mohair, but I want to try something different... can I change him without deconstructing him? I'd be happy with just a tip dye but I can't airbrush...

Also, is there any way to reliably remove dye from an already dyed piece of mohair? I used a dye from Intercal that only sticks to natural fibres...

Thank you!

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

I had a bear that I dyed different colors in patches all over it.  I used pastel colors to match a hat I was going to put on her.  I used spent dye so that it was very weak color.  I just dabbed it on in random areas.  I did not want it to run together so I was light handed with the dye.  I did not rinse it for fear the dye would run.  I set it out in the sun to dry.  I rubbed it repeatedly to see if I could get any color off.  It was set.  A friend bought it so I get to see it regularly.  It has not faded or rubbed off and that was about 12 years ago.
I don't think I would submerge a finished, stuffed bear.  I know one artist who used silk dye and a toothbrush and just did the fiber.  You would need to be very careful around joints.  As long as you don't mind a mottled affect either method would work.
Donna

Board footer