Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Deb Upstate New York

Have you ever used, or heard of anyone using a disappearing ink pen as a guide for airbrushing.  Specifically, if I'm looking to just airbrush some narrow areas, but don't have a great "eye" for a straight line with the airbrush yet, could I lightly draw a line on, then airbrush over?

One of two things will happen I think.  Either I'll end up with a blank area, or the ink will disappear, and WHALLLA!

Guess I could just try it and see.  Hmm ... have you ever been typing ... and realized as you were several sentences in, that finding the answer might be easier than pounding all these keys?

Oh well, the question is all typed up now ...

Here goes ...

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

While we are on this topic, I hope you don’t mind me jumping onto your post… I would like to know about this also but, since we are talking about airbrushing..

Judi, can you give me some pointers on brands of airbrushes, types of paint to use in them… etc…

I cannot afford top of the line (I don’t really know what they run other than seeing them in ACMoore).

I would like to eventually start airbrushing but my hubby said to ask you before I purchase anything bear_original

Deb Upstate New York

Not at all ... unless of course she misses my question! 
bear_grin

This isn't the kind she has, but I read reviews extensively before I made a choice.  I bought a Badger "Anthem", Model 155.  They have a website (badger-airbrush) I think.  I tried to post the link, but couldn't.  Hmm?  Anyway, it wasn't terribly expensive and works great (very easy).  There is also a chart of all their airbrushes on the site that was useful in choosing.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

The problem with disappearing ink- the air dissappearing kind:

The ink is purple and I have had it not disappear when it got wet-
Also when it got too hot-if I was ironing.....

so the caveat would be:  Try It First on a scrap

I'm talking about the funny purple ink pens from the fabric stores.

Now what about the blue ones?

Also from the fabric stores?  They are meant to erase when they get wet.  So perhaps when you swoop across them and the ink erases it wouldn't matter because you already know that was your line?

If either works I hope us know....It is a really great idea for those of us who, like you, like me, don't have an eye for things like that.

patiently looking forward to answers.....

dilu

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

SP_SergeiRESZ.jpgDeb, I wish I could help you on the dissapearing ink thing, but I have never heard of it.  If you need a guide I would suggest using a very light marker or even pencil.  WHen I airbruhsed my tiger, Sergei, I "mapped" out all the stripes first with a black marker...using it very very lightly.  Of course you alread know that you don't want to see any markings on your finished peice.

The best advice I can give here is to practice , practice, practice on scraps first.  You need to really get to know your airbrush and how it will take orders from you while you paint.

Kimmy, there are so many airbrushes available.  I learned on a single action Paasche H airbrush.  I also use a dual or double action.  I recommend a single action for begginers.
Single action:  A single action airbrush require only one movement, depressing a top located button,  to get air and paint flow coming from the airbrush.
Daul or double action: This requires two movemnets to paint.  One, depressing the top button for air flow, and Two, pulling back the button for paint flow.

Both work great.

I also have a badger airbrush, which I used to paint Sergie.  The tips of the airbrush are made of soft brass and can bend easily.  If this happens you will be unsuccessful with painting and will need a new tip.  The dual action airbrushed have a very long needle which bends even easier then the single action.

Paints
Almost any meduim can be used with airbrushing.  The best medium I have found is good old acrylics.  HIGH QUALITY ARTIST PAINTS are a must! These comes in several forms.  I like Createx airbrush ready paints.  Even though they claim to be "airbrush ready" I still water them down.

Thicker liquid acrylics need to be watered down before they will flow smoothly through an airbrush.  I like Liqutex Concentrate and Golden Brand.  I would stay away from "craft" paint as the quality is not as pure as proper artist paints.  The ones I mentioned are also light fast which means they will not fade in the light.  This is very important to maintain the integrity of your finished peice.  The biggest obstacle with airbrushing is getting the paint to flow smoothly through the airbrush.  Prepareing the paints, mixing them properly and even straining them is really important for successful airbrushing.

I used Golden Brand piants to airbrush Sergei.  You cannot feel  that he is airbrushed.  ALl you can feel is the mohair.  The piants are very soft and flexible.

I hope this helps.  Please ask more questions.  I am always happy to help.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Oh Judi, you are always there for us!! We love you!!!

You are our airbrushing QUEEN! And I'm soo happy to be able to pick your brain.  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Deb Upstate New York

Thank you so much Judi.  Your posts are always helpful.  I've used both Golden and Liquitex paints.  I used a single action brush for awhile, then bought the double.  I haven't used it too much for bears ... just different things over the years.  I even put food coloring in and lightly sprayed a cake once; turned out great!

I do think I need a new needle though.  I don't think they're terribly costly, thankfully.

I am going to do some testing with my disappearing ink pen; will let you know.

Thanks again!
:hug:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

It makes me feel so good to be helpful. :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:
Let us know how your ink works Deb, and Heather...have you given it a try yet?

Here's another idea:  Buy teddy bears fropm garage sales or cheap ones from Walmart and practice on them.  You will have nothing to lose and everything to gain.  It will also make you more daring to try on a bear other than one you took hours to create from expensive mohair.  Confession time:  It took me a loooooong time to get over my fear of airbrushing-and-possibly-ruining-my-hard-work before I got the nerve to try it....and I have been airbrsuhing for 22 years!  So I give those of you new to this art heap and heaps of credit.  I know it is no easy task in the beginng...but well worth the effort, I assure you.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Thankyou Judi, making a topic' interesting' as usual!!!!. I just luv your bears.
Ever thought of making a chook ,like sueanne? hahahah

Matilda :dance:

Board footer