Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Roxanne Bear Paws by Roxanne
Odessa, Tx

Sometimes I think about changing my direction of teddy bear making. Not to remove myself from it, but maybe a change of designs and approachability.
Since my accident, I was not able to keep up with the ongoing struggle to have a teddy available on a regular basis. When you can not keep up, your collectors just move on or loose interest. Which is totally understandable.  My bears involve much attention to detail. I don't know if I have slipped away from this because of the pain and difficulty that I experience while I am making my bear. I do know that I give it my best effort that I have to make my teddies. And now, when I do have a bear available, it just dose not move like they use to. Or it does not move at all. Which really make me think twice about what I am doing. Because lets face it, besides th fact of making a teddy bear that brings a smile to everyones face, it is a business for me too. Who knows, maybe it has a lot to do with the state of the economy right now. But I do know that I see some other artists that are still making sales. Mostly because I believe that they have kept on producing their work and doing all that needs to be done to have a successful business. I do hold them in the highest reguards and consider them friends.
With that said, I have been drawing up a new style/design for a teddy bear. It falls along the line of the plush meets doll design. I plan on adding as much detail as I possibly can muster up! Without the struggle and pain I previously would receive.
I'll try and report back as often as possible on my new way of tackling this situation.
I am looking forward to using my ideas and creating adorable stuffed  fuzzy, furry, teddies <3

HeidiBears florida

A change in a new direction might just be what you need…. Experimenting with different techniques and ideas is always fun, and can really be an enjoyable experience.  And no matter what direction your teddy bears take remember that you have a lot of experience from making past bears already under your belt so even if your bears look different they will still be a work of art. When you look at the gallery here on teddytalk you see tons of different looking unique bears, everyone’s opinion of what the “perfect  bear† is, is different.. And we all strive for some ideal image that for some may never even reach that goal.. (that’s the beauty of art, there is always room to improve and its all about perspective) and yet when they see other peoples bears they fall in love and it looks just like that bear they dreamed of (perhaps it is because you are not critiquing every little detail like you might do to your own but rather viewing the piece as a whole).  Sometimes changes can be scary especially large ones when you spend so many hours sweating over every little detail in a pattern, but I find it helps if you put it aside for a day and then come back and look at it, sometimes a bear or a pattern can look different in the light of a new day. Either way I believe that only good things will come from experimenting, don’t be afraid to try new things and just have fun with it! It is your creation, your work of art, and you can make it any way you want… you  will come up with something that is unique and special.. just what the customers are after !  bear_grin

Roxanne Bear Paws by Roxanne
Odessa, Tx

Thank you so much for your wonderful suggestions Miss Heidi!
That was beautifully stated. I appreciate the encouragement  :hug:

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I think that business is business and those of us that depend on income must do what we need to do to make money.  If you feel the time has come to make a change than it has.  Trust your intuition.  If the path is right than it will open up for you.  I do believe that and I live by that. 

I think your new idea sounds like it might just be the thing.  There are so many doll lovers out there and they seem to be growing rapidly.  A cross over "hybrid" may open a whole new world of collectors.

Why not try,
Joanne

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Whilst bear making is a business for you and you need to make money, you also need to be happy - a miserable bear maker will eventually make miserable bears!  It sounds like a great idea for a new direction, good luck with it, Cookie and I will keep everything crossed for you  bear_original

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub Gee Roxanne, I did not realize that was you on FB.  I checked out your website, and believe me your bears are beyond compare.  they are fabulous designs and should have no problem selling.  Perhaps it is the economy, I myself hesitate to purchase these days.  As for a new design, that sounds great also, it may be the pinch you need to get your mojo back.  You have a lot on your plate, beisdes the bears, the store, new house,  your accident.  So I am sure that all this will come together in the future.  Life is what you make out of it, so take that step and try something new, what have you got to lose?
I hope this helps a little,
Hugs Pat bear_flower

cobblestonecreations Cobblestone Creations
Maine
Website

Judith-Chamberlainsm.jpgHi Roxanne,

I'm rather new to TT, and still a bit shy about posting, but when I read this I just had to add my two cents.

Over the years I have expanded into many areas.  After starting out with my tiny three inch dressed mice, I have also done larger animals. dollhouse minis, larger doll clothes and now my fashion bears.  Not only have these changes pushed me to explore and develop new techniques, they have also had the added benefit of growing my customer base.  While someone may have found me through my doll clothes, they end up being some of my best buyers for my mice.  And others who found me through my mice have commissioned me to dress their dollhouse dolls, etc.

Imho, change is what keeps us happily creating.  And I can personally vouch for how much fun it is to combine the bear/doll concept.  It took me quite a while to design my Cobblestone Court fashion bear pattern, but it has turned out to be my favorite ~ and now I get to explore all the different periods of fashion and develop the clothing patterns for them.  bear_wub 

Go for it!

Hoping things start looking up for you soon!   :hug:
laura

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

I'm looking forward to seeing your new direction!  I loved your style of bears already, but it will be great to see what else you design.   bear_thumb  bear_thumb   :hug:

PeachtreeCottage Peachtree Cottage
Georgia
Website

Follow your heart.

By that I mean....what do you look forward to working on?  What keeps calling to you?  what can you not wait to try?  etc.

That's what you should do...go with your heart and work on that.  It will show in your work and give whatever you make that 'special something'

/miniteddyhugs

Board footer