Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

last night, we had our neighborhood picnic, the last one of the year. I was talking with some folks about my dog who escaped the yard for 9 hours Sunday night during a thunder storm....I think we will lock his doggie door at night from now on. Here are the stories:

Last winter, we had a family of 5 red fox that denned across the street. I saw one fox a few times, didn't know there were 5 of them!

A month or so ago, my neighbor, 2 doors up the street, saw a Panther in his back yard! (New York State says there are no Panthers in the area... but when asked if someone could shoot it, they said "umm, I wouldn't do that")

This past week, another neighbor was out riding his bicycle, about 2 miles from the house, when a bear came out of the woods. Jay saw the bear out of the corner of his eye, the bear did not see him, until the bear's nose brushed Jay's leg, then he turned tail and went back into the woods.

I want to see these wild critters.......................and I want to keep the dog safe.....................all I have is a woodchuck living under my deck.

Ellen

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

LOL you should not wish so hard to see a bear or a panther  bear_grin There have been a lot of panther sightings in Australia but scientists are now starting to think they're just really, really big feral cats.

Great stories love the finishing line about the woodchuck lol ~ it's great  bear_grin

Coraleen DallyMay Teddies
Secunda, South Africa

Its probably a bit scary but for me, it would be wonderful to have so much wildlife around where I lived  bear_wub  bear_flower

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

I want to live where you do!

Coraleen DallyMay Teddies
Secunda, South Africa

I'd even be happy with just the woodchuck  bear_flower

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub I love the stories, here's one from NJ, we had a neighborhood chicken that has hung around from at least last fall. A week or so ago the hen disappeared.  We have now seen a neighborhood fox, so we all know where the hen went. 
She was so cute, even layed 8 eggs in my yard one day.  The lady accross the street always fed that chicken.  She has seen the fox also.  There is a small strip of woods that runs behind the houses and there is so much wildlife there it isn't funny.
My daughter has seen at least 12 deer, also racoons, a possum died in my yard last week.  Good ole city dwellers in New Jersey.
Hugs Pat bear_flower

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

We have lots of rabbits around us, tons of coyotes. too many friggin squirrels, a fox in the neighbourhood, where he has had a den for a few years and this summer one of my daughter's friends, who lives rurally, has had a cougar around for much of the summer.  Apparently he also likes the abundance or rabbits - he's been seen playing with them when he's not hungry,  like a cat with a mouse.   What can you do, we all have to eat.  We've always been told cougars are extinct in Ontario, but there have been more and more sightings the last few years and now the MNR says Ontario  has a population of about 600 cougars.

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

Pat, I know right where you live. My Great-Grandmother lived in Edison (beofre it was Edison, actually it was Bonhamtown) and my Mom was born there, well, at Raritan arsenal, which is no longer in existence! My Great-Grandmother's place was actually where they built the NJTurnpike, I can remember being there while the road was going in, and going into the woods.........but it is a big city now, amazing that critters stay around!

Ellen

HeidiBears florida

Here in Florida I've run into many alligators when walking my dog, some even as large as 8 feet laying in the open or swimming around in the local ponds right next to the park. We also have a few wild boar, once one of them came from the woods and was running around my neighborhood chasing people (they have large tusks and a bad temper which makes them very dangerous.) Florida also has a ton of sandhill cranes which are giant 5 feet tall birds that like to lounge in the roads and not budge until you get out of your car and shoo them  bear_grin . and we also do have some bears, although I have never seen one, my friend had a large black bear walk right up to her screen glass door and look in!!!  bear_shocked

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota
HeidiBears florida

To funny !!!! :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Board footer