Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I don't know what to say . . . this is horrible news, but Hope is missing.  Lily and Faith are still together.  Of course, the fear is that bear hunting season is still going strong.  The DNR, however, hasn't had a bear registered since before Hope was discovered gone, so we should all still be optimistic.  I so want to be, but this is heartbreaking.   bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I hear you, Sue Ann.  :hug: I'm Hope-ing for the best, though. More than once last year Hope and Lily were separated in the fall for a few days at a time. She might very well be fine, and that's what I'm going to believe...

Becky

Natascha LeftyBears by Natascha Sabo
Remchingen

This is so sad, I keep praying that everything is fine and Hope is still alive.
I wish I could go into the woods myself and help looking for Hope, but it's too far away from Germany, so I have to keep praying.

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Hi Sue-Ann,

I felt my stomach turn over when I read the update this morning.  But, I am hopeful that our dear Hope is maybe making her own little den for herself this year as it did seem that she was eagerly have a practice session at her digging techniques the other day.  From some of the posts on the update, I rather get the impression that Lily has been giving Hope some nips to the ankles and other signs as if to say "time for us to part" sort of thing. 

So I think we should all stay optimistic, in the hope that she is actually doing something that she should be doing naturally at some stage, and that is building a little life of her own in her own little den.  She's proved time and time again that she is a little fighter so I'm praying that she's out there somewhere having a whale of a time. (I've got everything crossed).

Hugs to all,

Marilyn x bear_flower

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

It doesn't look good for Hope . . . that's about all I can manage to say at the moment.  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I am crying tonight SueAnn.  And sadly i am removing my Lily bookmarks.  I just can't do it anymore.  I truly loved her.

Joanne

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

I so understand, Joanne.  There are hearts broken all over the world and I believe there will be many that will not want to continue following the research.  Such a sad waste of a precious life.

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

Can someone explain this post to me? I am worried now too but have no idea what you're talking about.... could someone explain?

Natascha LeftyBears by Natascha Sabo
Remchingen

I think at the moment none of us is able to speak about what happened, but we shouldn't give up following the researchers.
Instead, we should try to get a law that forbids bear hunting completely!!!!!
I know, I shouldn't talk about wanting to change the laws of a country where I don't life, but I love Hope really and so much wanted to see how her life went on, the first time she was falling in love, when she was having her own cubs and now all this might never happen. (I'm still hoping she will appear again ).
And I can't imagine that there is any real need for bear hunting in the US. I mean, people there won't starve and i don't think they will be forced to walk around naked without bear hunting, also, you have many other sports like basketball or baseball, so why shoot innocent animals wo just want to survive?

suejennings TeddyBuys
Kent
Website

Such bleak news.  Too sad for words.

Hugs to all

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Aww, so sorry to hear this  bear_cry

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

I've only just read last night's update and now typing through tears.  Why is it that precious things are always taken from us.  I'm still trying to be a little optimistic still, but it's getting difficult.

Keep praying for our little playmate, all's not lost yet.

Extra big hugs to all of the bear fans.

Marilyn xx

puca bears puca bears

Dire, isn't it - and desperately sad.................but I am clinging to the thought that she may have gone off and made herself a den. I also know, having been there, that it would be well-nigh impossible for the researchers to explore every nook and cranny, looking for an uncollared bear.
As for banning bear hunting?............seems to me there is such a lot involved. It's part of the culture, and hunting brings in a lot of money to the area. The DNR say they have to manage populations - how much of that is tied into the fact that hunting brings in revenue for  THEM, I don't know.  There also seem to be a long-standing antipathy between the DNR and Lynn.  I DO think that Lynn's approach of EDUCATING people into the ways of bears is slowly paying off - but it is going to be a long fight, I fear.
Meanwhile we just keep waiting and hoping for some good news.....it's very hard bear_cry

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA
Gabriele~GJOYfulBears wrote:

Can someone explain this post to me? I am worried now too but have no idea what you're talking about.... could someone explain?

Dear Gabrielle,

Last year a bear named Lily gave birth for the first time ever live in a den where there was a camera.  Thousands of people all over the world watched it live.  We followed her and her new baby Hope through the den cam and then through daily updates from the researchers.  Her mother abandoned her in the spring of her first year and she was kept alive with the help of the researchers.  The world rooted for her and cheered when she was finally reunited with her mother Lily. 

The bears where special collars that are decorated with brightly colored ribbons during the hunting season so that the hunters know they are research bears.  The bears allow the collars to placed by the researchers.  Because of Hope's tough childhood she is not trusting and would not allow a collar.

So it now seems that the most loved bear has been taken by a hunter.  He could not have known without a collar. 
There even was a $5,000 reward posted if no radio collared bears were killed during hunting season.  Sadly that money will be paid.

As far as hunting, I do think that the DNR is correct that the wildlife population needs to me managed.  I do not believe that this statement has anything to do with money.  There is just not enough unoccupied land left to left the population take care of itself. 

Many of us here followed and loved her.  Maria went to Minnesota and met the researchers and the bears.  For me she is the bear whose pictures sit next to me as I sew. 

If she is really gone she will be sorely missed.

Joanne

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I'm reminded that with animals or with people, even a short life can be a very valuable life.

Among the many things I've learned from this whole experience, I know not to give up hope yet. Doc and Sue may get a confirmation that Hope is gone, or they may stumble across her new den. Either way, I'm grateful for our bear family and for all the people they have rallied to care about them.

Hugs,
Becky

susana fung hong kong

watering eyes, seems can't do anything but Hope  :pray:

Dawn J Hugs Unlimited
West Yorkshire
Website

Having recently spent a week in Romania fund-raising for rescued bears, I have been behind with reading about Lily and Hope. Having just spent time with these magificent animals, I just cannot believe the mentality of these people that would want to hurt them or kill them. I am devastated and beyond angry.

I'm sorry, but I cannot think of a single defence for anyone that goes out hunting any animal.

Hope was a very special bear, however, we should not forget all the other wonderful bears that we have not had the pleasure to watch closely who are also hunted every year by cowardly people who cannot make themselves feel good without hurting others.

Please, please please do anything you can to stop these horrible people causing so much suffering in the name of sport.
bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

Joanne thank you so much for replying to my question. I did not see your reply sooner as I get lost here a lot and freak out about where I've ended up so I just get out of the forum and re-load it again lol. Thanks so much for your reply, I can now see why Hope meant to so much to all of you and I hope that none of you will give up in trying to save these bears. Another member also sent me a link to the site and I saw photos of Hope, she was beautiful indeed.

I do have to say I honestly, with all my heart, believe that hunting feeling like a necessity for humans is coming to an end. We are out-growing this, however slow and prolonged it may feel to on-lookers, the Human race as a whole is going a good direction not a bad one. I hope everyone tries to remember this when things like this happen to make you feel down. Hope brought such happiness and inspiration to so many lives, don't forget what she taught you all and remember that there are more bears in need of help too.

I'd also like to say approaching hunters with some understanding, empathy and if you can't manage empathy than sympathy, is a good thing to practice. The hunter who killed Hope sounds to me like a good and honest hunter who did not mean to shoot Hope and who does not do so for sport but for the quality of meat etc. It may be hard to hear, but at least she was not left to waste like so many heartless hunters do. From what information you have been given I hope you all try to visualize that Hope left this life painlessly and with thanks given to her by the hunter who took her life. Hope taught you all so much....

Board footer