Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Carlyle Bear Co. Carlyle Bear Co.
Ft Myers FL

I have tried and tried and for the life of me I can't figure out how to make my paws (for the feet) wider! bear_wacko

I thought maybe making the foot deeper (hope that makes sense) that it would then five me a wider bear_flower  foot.  Not so.  Should I make my feet more shallow?

Any help would be appreciated.  I know that you can do a three part foot but I really don't want to do that if I don't have to. 

Tips anyone?

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Are you making the paw pads in the width that you want? If the foot circumference matches, that should give you a wide foot, no?

Becky

Ft Myers FL

No it doesn't work out that way when I'm doing it Becky. bear_whistle

The size of the foot determines the size of the paw pad for me.  I wish I could explain it better.  When you go to sew the paw pad in the foot only stretches so far to each side.  Does that make sense?  I don't want a longer paw just a wider one.  It could be a bit longer if it would help though.

I just can't seem to wrap my mind around it.  I wish EBearz University would offer a class on that design aspect.  Maybe a mini class.

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

Its more in the shape of the paw pad. You make the bottom narrow and the top wider if that makes sense? Think of a pear upside down. That way the top of the foot looks wide;  especially compared to the bottom.

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

If you design the bottom edge of the foot with a curve instead of straight across you will be able to incorporate a wider foot pad.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I hadn't thought of that, Linda. Thanks for the tip!

Lisa, if the foot won't "stretch" any farther from side to side, it sounds as if the circumference might be too small?

Becky

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

I agree with Linda it works best if you curve the foot, then the wider foot pad in the foot will balance it out and make it flat when it's finished.

Ft Myers FL

Linda thank you!!  I knew someone would understand what I was asking.   :hug:

I will give it a try on my next bear.  It makes perfect sense!  I don't design my footpads to make my paws - I design the leg with the foot and then insert the footpads.  This may be different from others but it is what I learned from the old teddy bear making books I bought from Alibris years ago and it works for me.  I get nice "equal" feet that way.

Thanks again for the help!

Geralye Belper, Derbyshire

If you are widening the footpad, and curving the bottom of the foot out, you may also need to make the foot deeper to allow for spread, depending on how wide you go, otherwise your bear may end up with a very flat foot  bear_shocked

cheers,
G

Board footer