Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

ScottBear scott's bears

HI  ok Penny (penny asked about the ribbon on my grand panda and the story behind it )
New tothe room I should pony up a good story to give yall an Idea who I am and some of the crazy and totaly clueless and silly things I can get myself into  lol lol ...
OK ..so on my first trip to japan to show at the tokyo teddybear show my travel partner Kelly D.and I wanted to find interesting trims for our bears and was told about this fantastic store by one of the other artists at the show. After about 3 different trains and a great lil woman who took pity on us and just walked us to the place we found the store . well it was worth it... IT WAS TEDDYBEAR ARTIST HEAVEN ...floor to ceiling of custom ribbon and trims ... OK so I have a bit of a reputation of being FRUGAL boarding on CHEEP soooo standing in the store I turned to kelly D. and said "FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE I AM GOING TO GET WHAT I LIKE AND NOT LOOK AT THE PRICE ".....words that will never come out of mouth ever again!!!! LOLLOL...It was heaven the greatest ribbon I have ever touched HAND DONE ENDLESS COLORS ENDLESS PATTERNS MY HEAD WAS DIZZY WITH THE CHOICE'S... and drunk with the possablity's for great bears that I would make with them ....After about 4-5 hours the lil lady took me too the counter to cut the ribbons and pay .....PLEASE remember that I only understand a very little japanese and just pointed and said 1 meter of this one and 2 meters of that one (like I was the queen of england) The ribbon cut and ready kelly and I went to pay (kelly was buying beads that day not ribbon) soo the li'l lady brings me my bill and I sign and as I looked down at the TOTAL (note it was in YEN and with the exchange rate the bill always freaks ya out a bit it's like a thousand yen to the dollar) KELLY started choking and for me the room started SPINNING  as she handed me my purchase's "IN THE SMALLEST BAG IN THE WORLD"  ......out side kelly did the math exchange rate...
!!! I HAD JUST SPENT $950.OO US DOLLARS !!! I thought I was gonna pass out kelly got some water for me (laughing mixed with true concern that I was gonna pass out in the middle of tokyo) Well to say the least that li'l bag of ribbon is and was the last time I ever through caution to the wind and not look at a price tag!!!
To this date I still have some left and when ever I do a bear with some of the ribbon my hand shake when I go to cut into it !!!! The "GRAND PANDA" that i placed up for all to look at was done with the famous JAPAN RIBBON and every millimeter of it was used!!!! that ribbon cost me over $100. a meter !!!
well that is the ribbon story !!! I have a few more but this one give ya a good idea how easily i can get myself into BIG trouble
BIG BEARHUG
SCOTT

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

GASP, CHOKE!!  Scott - - - oh my!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Wow, Scott!

I'd be torn between just keeping it tucked away safely, putting it on a bear and selling the bear for double the price just because of the ribbon (yeah, explain that to a customer!) and kicking myself repeatedly. I'd say you've used the ribbon quite well.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who would do something silly and crazy like that! Hee! Hee! Thanks for sharing your human idiosyncracies with us!

We love you that much more!  :hug:

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko
Ouch !!!
bear_shocked  bear_shocked  bear_shocked  bear_shocked  bear_shocked

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

...well Scott...it IS a tax write-off! bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh ..and how often are you going to be back to that store....well worth it I hope. bear_grin

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

$950!!!  bear_shocked  bear_shocked

Well, bravo to you, that you didn't actually pass out! I'm sure I would have been crying in the middle of Tokyo!

ScottBear scott's bears

WEll all in all the ribbon has made some of the best bear I have done yess its was well worth it in the long run !!!!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

COOL avatar Scott.!!!  Hey , have you posted your  self portrait in the photo gallery?  If not, please do so we can see you. :hug:

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

WOWZA!  :doh: Well, your bear is gorgeous so that is the good side :)

BY THE WAY.... WELCOME TO TEDDY TALK!! - I'm a little behind!

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Holy moly!!  Was that ribbon spun with 24kt gold thread?  And I thought French ribbon was expensive!! 

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

ScottBear scott's bears

ALETA funny you should say that YES one did !!! It truely was a once in a lifetime experance....and I got a great story out if it hahahahLOL

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

What a wonderful story, Scott. Thanks for sharing with us.
I am like you can't go past beautiful ribbons in shops, but have never spent that much.
Your Avatar Bear is lovely.

bear_original

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I love ribbon, too, and will now NEVER buy it without price checking again.  This was NEW ribbon?  I didn't think anything but vintage could go that high.  Criminies, man.

But you're right... great story.

Any chance Kelly D. is famous artist Kelly Dean?

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good grief Charlie Brown!!! what a story!!! bear_tongue
Kathy

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

oh my....I WOULD have had a heart attack!!! 

but how much more satisfying than spending that money on mundane things like car tyres or bills!

The panda is stupendous.

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

Sorry but I had a good chuckle.  I could just see myself in that situation and I would have passed out!!!

What a cute story!

Jane

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Great story Scott but, yikes!    $950  bear_shocked    Whew!    I'm breaking out in a sympathy sweat at the very thought! I'll bet you had a death grip on "THE SMALLEST BAG IN THE WORLD" the rest of the day!! lol
Good thing you've got a sense of humor and can laugh about it now!  :clap:

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I would die!
Funny how the one time you throw caution to the wind eh? LOL

Nice to meet you also, your aviator bear is awsome!

ScottBear scott's bears

Bonnie  Death Grip is soooooo right !!! I would NOT put it in my luggage on the flight back because I was fliped out that the airline would loose my luggage !!! darn bag did not leave my side for one second hahahah lololol     
BearHug
SCOTT

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Ha! I don't blame you!! I would have been the same way!

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

I would have hated to see the price in Yen, you would have fainted at that, come round, converted, then fainted once again.
bear_grin
Lynette

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Ha Ha Ha Ha  bear_laugh

I would'nt blame you if you never bought amother piece of ribbon Scott!!  But i get the feeling that you're the kinda guy who just would'nt be able to resist.

Thanks for telling the story - blimey, it's not often you can ask a man to do something and he does it  bear_tongue  of his own free will. he he he he

The ribbon is gorgeous though Scott, and if it was all hand done then i think it was a bargain at a $100 metre - i embroider and it would take me forever to stitch a metre(mainly cos i'd get bored)!

It's great to have you on board here at TT Scott - another man to add to our collection  bear_whistle

Penny  :hug:

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Hiya Scott, welcome to TT. Boy I would have run for the hills if I had been asked for $950 for ribbon. I could have a great holiday for that money.

Jane  bear_flower

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh  bear_laugh  What a great story, Scott! Welcome to TT--you're a great addition to the forum!

Eileen

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Arrrrrrrrrg! $950 just for some ribbons!!!!!
that ribbons had to be great for such an incredible price!
A man spending such an amount for ribbon must not be very common!
For sure Scott, you will have great stories for your friends and famillies.
By the way, the bear you made using this ribbon is fantastic!

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Board footer