Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

gugu"s teddies gugu;s teddies
durban

Hello Ladies
I have noticed some of the free patterns advise to increase by certain percentage
Yet when i measure pattern as is, the size seems as pattern states,when i increase pattern of course its bigger
Am i measureing correctly i measure pattern from top of head to bottom of leg. Oh boy does anyone understand what i am trying to say
Have a great weekend everyone thanks for help

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

You need to check whether seam allowance is included in the pattern or not if you are measuring up - if it is, then don't include whatever the amount the seam allowance is on your measurements - that might be making up the difference, as when the bear is sewn up, you will loose some of that height in the seams.

I think! To some extent the height of the finished bear will also be influenced by where it is jointed also.

gugu"s teddies gugu;s teddies
durban

Thanks Jaina
My problem is when artist says 13 inch bear patteren when copied is 13 inch yet they tell you increase pattern by 113% why is that would you know not all of them say that ,perhaps i should get hold of the artists concerned perhaps they can tell me why,at lease im mearureing correctly

Once again thaks you hava great teddy day
Paula

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

The 3 dimensional nature of a bear will shrink the height when it is made up. I learnt that when designing my own patterns, if you draw say an ankle a certain size, when it is stuffed it is smaller than when drawn because the stuffing pushes out the fur it gets narrower - likewise if you stuff a head it will get less tall because of the fabric being pushed out on the sides too.

Personally I don't worry if the bear isn't the height on the pattern, as each persons way of making will vary and affect the height.

Does that make more sense? bear_happy

Board footer