Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Karon Posts: 751

Yes, I have just taken up a new hobby and - Eureka - I am as potty about it as bear making!

I went on a course with a textile artist called Gilda Baron and now I am hooked (in the literal sense!) on "dry felted textural landscapes".  With this art I have discovered I can push the boundaries of creativity, I have even found out that I can do simple embroidery (beyond doing a bear's nose that is!).

Please google "Gilda Baron" to have a look at the work of this wonderful lady and inspirational teacher.  She is AMAZING!!!

lulu sweet souls
canton, new york

Wow!!!!!  No wonder you're so excited...
Just beautiful! Where did you take the course?

:0)

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I love this art form! :dance: Have a wonderful time with it!

Becky

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I just looked at her work, wow,so beautiful. I can understand how exciting it must be to be learning.

Joanne

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

A shame the photos do not show the 3D effects. It sounds like a very interesting hobby indeed. you will learn a lot from it. Maybe it will give you new ideas to include into your teddy bear making... Enjoy, and please, think about showing us photos of what you have done!

bear_thumb

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

thondra rosenheim / bayern
Website

wow karen what a lovely art !
where do you learn ? from cd or a real class ?
show us photos ? bear_laugh
i want to know much more about it all bear_laugh

Karon Posts: 751

Hi Ladies, thanks for your responses.

It was an actual class that I did.  I admired her work for ages when I saw it at Stitch shows etc. so I spoke to her about it and discovered she was doing a course at a place called Rainbow Silks in the village of Great Missenden in Buckinghamshire, England.  I hope to be doing a week long summer school at Missenden Abbey this year, on it.

What I really love about it is that it has 'freed' me artistically.  I just just couldn't think beyond uniformity, if you know what I mean.  Just love the colours and textures.  My first attempts (at the course) were'nt that good, but I have almost finished one, which is a belated Christmas Present for my friend Sheri, (and is lovely in shades of lilac and purples) and then I hope to finish the other ones which will be a field of poppies.

There were only four of us (excluding Gilda) and EVERYONE was SO friendly and helpful.  One of the best courses I have EVER been on - and as some people know I am a course-a-holic! :crackup:

Karon

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Course-a-holic here, too! Last summer it was weaving a '2-Pie Basket, Viking Knitting and 2 [TWO!-The Panopticon]Franklin Habit (Knitting Courses) all in one weekend, then another weekend put on by Cloth, Paper, Scissors® (not into that one as much as I'm not into collage...but picked up some good jewelry techniques and wanted the lecture on Publishing) then one final weekend at Stitches Midwest with 7 classes in Advances Knitting - to-make-your-head-swim-they-were-to-die-for-with-all-of-the-top-designers-in-the-world-today(-with-2-more-Franklin's, though he lives right here in Chicago....!) Knitting is my first learned, could do it if I was blind, fall-back on, all-time favorite, textile format.

But your intensive day-long course sounds so good too - - why do the BEST ones always seem to be on the other side of the world???

Board footer