Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Hi Girls

Do you get bored?

I'm bored

Can there be anything worse than being bored when you have three zillion other things that you could be getting on with?

I am well known for my remarkably short attention span (me Mum used to say it was due my superior intelligence - but there you go, we all know what Mums are like and mine was border line scary in her undying belief that her one and only child was the next Einstein, Mozart, Dr Suess etc etc) so was just wondering if anyone else out there got bored for NO APPARENT reason?

Or is it just me?

Penny - lying on the sofa making deep sighing noises whilst picking the fluff balls off of the elbows of her cardigan and flicking them on the floor

bear_wacko   bear_sad   bear_tongue

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Penny I get bored to the point of screaming some days.  It's at it's worst when the weather is dismal.  I'm not so bad when the sun comes out.

Bear making can be excrutiatingly boring, lonely and isolating - that's why TT is such a tonic!

Paula - just about to escape to the supermarket, purely for escaping's sake.  bear_cry

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I'm surprised at the two of you...bored....when you both make such fabulous bears. Penny, your recent needlefelted bear was absolutely fantastic and Paula, what can I say. Now come on, the both of you, get out those patterns and start creating!

Marion

.................Nah Won't - i'm havin a sulk as well now............... bear_tongue

....................i dunno bout making another bear, but i have just noticed a half full (see how positive i am - i could have said half empty) bottle of Baileys at the back of the fridge........................is there a good movie on TCM i wonder..............................maybe a DVD...........................???

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

LOL!!!

Well, I don't know about "bored" but I do have a short attention span and seems like when I think of something I want to do... I drop what I'm doing and do the new thing.   bear_whistle

Unfortunately when I don't take control of this... bearmaking suffers (as in doesn't get done) and thus so does the bank account :doh:

I seem to like to do research... as in looking things up on the internet and learning.  I love working on my web pages, making candles, playing with my photographs...hmm....seems like they are all in the creative area LOL!

I guess I could say I get "bored" with one thing and want to try another... but I never seem to be bored cause I ALWAYS find "another thing" to do LOL!

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

I'm just like you, Laura Lynn ! :hug: (no candle for me, but the rest is exactly the same bear_original )
I'm happy to find someone I can relate to ! bear_original bear_original

my boredom is that i don't want to do ANYTHING at ALL - weird

feeling all floppy and ughguhguh - think greasy skinned teenager  bear_ermm

cant be bothered to do anything - could it be love i wonder? But no.........i grew out of that a long time ago ha ha

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Bear making can be excrutiatingly boring, lonely and isolating - that's why TT is such a tonic!

I don't know if I really get bored, as I always have a ton of things to do - but I DO get in moods where whatever I decide to do is not really what I FEEL like doing, yet I can't figure out what it is exactly what I WANT to do.

I do have a short attention span and seems like when I think of something I want to do... I drop what I'm doing and do the new thing.

my boredom is that i don't want to do ANYTHING at ALL - weird

You mean I'm not really in a state of depression???? This is NORMAL??? Yippee!!!  :dance:

Oh yeah, I get sooooo bored and just plain fed up of the walls of my house!

So, the last two days I left! I had no place to go but I dragged my arse out and ya know what? I had fun... went to shops I hadn't been to in a while, treated myself to a yummy lunch the first day, met mom for lunch at our favorite cafe the second. When I got home a actually did some of those things I find boring and mundane.... like bear making.  bear_grin  And it didn't hurt too much!!

But today is drizzly and cold out and I'm finding my jammies and coffee more exciting than anything else.

I guess nothing lasts forever!  ******* SIGH ********

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I definitely get bored easily - I have two half finished bears in my work room and have already drafted a pattern for a third!  I go into one room for a reason, spot something else and I'm gone!  Then there are days I want to do nothing at all but vegetate - oh for one of those days!!!!  I've got 32 boxes packed in my living room already and I'm only "thinning out" LOL!  I didn't know we had so much junk!!  Enjoy your movie, Penny  - TCM the same one we get Turner Classic Movies?  It's hubby's favourite!! 

hugs,

Brenda

Dilu Posts: 8,574

OK,

you guys can say you have short attention spans, however,

to develoup the styles and character your bears have you demonstrate dedication and concentration.....

So maybe you're having a blah day.....that's different...

Hey Pen, isn't George coming for dinner?  Get a move on......

and how come you haven't made a bear that looks like George?

I think we would all love to see this.....

could be a real challange though,

hmmmm, might not be doable.....

hmmmmm, I wonder if she really could....

hmmmmmmm :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

bear_tongue

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

thumperantiques wrote:

.....I've got 32 boxes packed in my living room already and I'm only "thinning out" LOL!  I didn't know we had so much junk!! ...  hugs,  Brenda

Hey there Brenda I was just thinking about you today and your packing!  We go in 5 days... just wrapping up stuff here.  Hope all goes well with you!!   :hug:

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

I'm never bored when it comes to bears!  I do, however, go through times when I only want to design or I only want to sew.  I'm going through one of those times now.  I've been sewing bear parts like a mad woman!!  Have I finished anything?  No.   bear_sad   Pinning, sewing, pinning, sewing, first stuffing, jointing......then hanging on a peg......seven of them so far.   bear_shocked   This started about the time all the nominations for the Golden Teddy were coming out.   I'm wondering what sort of bizarre behavior will come around the time the TOBY's are announced!!  bear_wacko

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

nettie scotland
Website

I get days when I only want to make bear heads.I love making heads !!Do you think there could be a market for only heads???I hate sewing up bodies and stuffing.
I like finishing of and ageing though.I have no option but to keep at it but sometimes I just have to put the body aside and make a head again,then at least I am still working.
I take of an hour each day to look for bear stuff and read teddy talk then back to yukky bodies!!!!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

All Bear wrote:

Amen!  Amen!  Amen!  Amen!  Amen!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

nettie wrote:

I love making heads !!Do you think there could be a market for only heads???I hate sewing up bodies and stuffing.

We are kindred souls, truly.

I don't distress my bears but I enjoy the equivalent; painting and shading them.  Ahhhhhhhhh....... bliss.

bear_original

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

In fact, to work all day and night, the method for me would be to take a new piece of mohair and to cut into it each time I do not concentrate on my work (and want to go on the Internet)... Gosh, I should make a BIG order at Intercal ! bear_original bear_original bear_original I love beginning new bears bear_original.

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Penny I think you need a good dose of the sun ..... get your self one of those ray lamps and lay under that with your Baileys and think of nice thoughts (George) .. I get times when I just loose my insperation to do anything ... so what do I do go out and spend .......

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I have to admit, I don't get bored. I'm at work all the time, then my friends wanted to hang out, my family etc.

I find instead of boredom , I feel guilt. Always thinking I should be more productive. Even when bear making, I know I could be doing a million other things. But then again, bear making is soo relaxing and creative, that without it. I don't know if I could handle regular 40 hrs a week job.

krystolla Fuzzbutt Bears
Columbus Ohio

Bored? Not so much. At least, not at home. At work, when I'm stuck in a meeting thinking about how I could be home sewing my latest creation . . . definitely bored. At home I mostly feel guilty about not feeling like doing anything but it's not the same as bored where I can't do anything. I rather enjoy chances to do nothing, actually, even if my "nothing" has to be wrestled away from all the impatient "somethings".

My mother used to say the same thing about boredom being a sign of intelligence . . . actually, the ongoing fight with boredom as a child was probably what led to the bears now. My mother's solution to "I'm bored" was "There's beads, glue, paper, scissors, sparkles, felt -- go make something!" Little did she know . . .

Dilu Posts: 8,574

krystolla said;

"There's beads, glue, paper, scissors, sparkles, felt -- go make something!" Little did she know . . .

yep, mine too, and now the hubs says it......he walks in and if Im not on the computer or actually working on something he gets worried.....Whats the matter?  Are you OK, what do you need.....uh everything?  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

bear_tongue

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Remember what our parents used to say when we said 'I'm borrrred'. 'Bored? I'll find you something to do. Go tidy your room!' AHHH bear_laugh

Its the time of year Penny. Its been cold with no sun and we are all cutting back on things that make us feel good. Chocolate, crisps, sweets, its enough to send us loopy.

I had to laugh at Nettie too, I've started to just do heads and then the bodies, I've had some new fabrics and you get too many bears you want to do at the same time.

Hang in there Penny! :hug:

Irene Irenours-bears
France

I don't get bored and i would hate to bear_sad  . that's why i always do something. the only moment i don't do anything it's when i'm sitting bihind my computer and read the messages on TT. I'm fell real guilty if i don't do anything, like i have always to proof to myself and to my family that i'm productive. In all my chilwood in Africa, i use to walk to school 8 kms far from my home and after the school, there was always a work to do.In the school free days, i had to work at field. After this time, having 4 childs and anybody than my husband to help me didn't allow me to have much fun and relax.My childdrens are not like me, they can sleep 22 hours a day bear_grin then they eat and play on computer . Doing nothing is like i lost my time bear_cry Love to all bear_wub

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Well you have all hit the nail on the head for me too!  BORED!  I sometimes can't stand to even finsh a bear once the head is done.  That's the best part..the rest is a chore.

My biggest problem is I get so bored that I will go in various direction on a dime.  I never run out of ideas..just not enough time and mohair.  ...and I loath housework.

TT is my connectionto the outside world.  It's the first place I come to every morining. bear_wub

krystolla Fuzzbutt Bears
Columbus Ohio
Judi wrote:

Well you have all hit the nail on the head for me too!  BORED!  I sometimes can't stand to even finsh a bear once the head is done.  That's the best part..the rest is a chore.

I always do the heads last, I feel too guilty if there's a finished teddy head sitting there wonder where his body is . . .

I go through moods though. Sometimes I really want to be doing the end part of assembling and finished the bear but othertimes I want to be just doing the meditative handsewing . . . it's so relaxing. Other times I want to be working on a new pattern or combination of fabrics.

Right now I'm feeling under the weather so having a bear cut out to sew would be really nice but the only bear I have going at the moment needs the stuffing and jointing treatment. I guess I need to stop lolling about on the couch with the computer and get myself up and crafting! I have tons of ideas . . . that part is *always* fun.

-- Erika
Fuzzbutt Bears

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Read a lovely quote yesterday; can't remember who said it.  But it applies.  It read:

"The cure for boredom is curiosity.

There is no cure for curiosity."

bear_original

Board footer