Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I've seen several references to felting in the washing machine and I have absolutely no idea what anyone is talking about.  Would someone please explain this to me so I don't feel quite so clueless?

Thanks!!!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

If you throw something that's 100% wool into the washing machine, like a sweater, it will "felt"... meaning that the fibers, due to heat and friction/pressure, will meld together, much like the "felt" you are used to buying at the craft store.  That's not a woven or knitted fabric... it's just a bunch of fibers, mashed together.

I've been doing some reading on this and am not an expert, but from what I've been able to ascertain, felting occurs when water (usually hot water) is used, combined with pressure, and sometimes heat, and often also, soap (like soap flakes or detergent), to "felt" wool fibers together.

I tried this recently with a cheapie sweater I bought at Salvation Army.  Threw it in the washer with LOTS of detergent (DREFT flakes, the more pure the better, I read)... and it shrunk to about 1/2 its size (which was fine and expected) and has become "felted."  This means I can literally cut out the sweater like a regular fabric, without worry about fraying (tho I expect it to, just a little), and then I can sew it up like a regular fabric, too, without special knowledge re: how to connect knitted pieces, etc.  I'm hoping to make some cute little home-spun looking felted clothes for my bears in this way!

Have fun!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Great info, Shelli!  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

Willamette Valley Oregon

Thanks Shelli.  I had no clue what that meant.  Now I wish I would have saved of few of those shrunken sweaters   bear_grin

lbbears Wind Lake. Wisconsin

I did this by accident with my daughters wool sweater, somehow it got mixed in with the hot cycle.  Needless to say she was not a happy camper, but I loved the result bear_grin 

Oh by the way make sure you put something over your hose that runs into your wash basin when the water runs out to catch all the fuzz, my husband was not a happy camper with this mess

Laurie

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Aleta

I make the gollies out of worsted wool, 100%  I always throw it in the washer on hot and then the dryer.  My goal is to felt, or shrink up as much as possible.  I use Ivory soap flakes, because that just is  what I happen to have,  i don't use woolite, cuz that seems counter-intuitive  bear_grin

Then when i sew and stuff there is the little bit of stretch...give....which is what I want.

because I am using yardage there isn't any distortion....after I dry it and clip off the loose, frayed threads on either end....well i am good to go in gollyland.

i have also gotton old pendleton shirts and felted them up, but not as much, in this case no soap, and then used them in a wool quilt.....kind of the homespun look.  it is also supposed to be warmer....but it was a gift so I can't ascertain if the warmer part is true.....but it seems like it would be.

Shelli
  i love your idea of little clothing pieces made from your felted sweaters.....

Oh, when i do the yardage i loose about 6" in length and about 6" in width.....which is a lot to loose..... bear_original

dilu

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Great tips here...I have a geay angora sweater I got at the 2nd hand store..I was going to pull it apart with softner in the water.. then  knit a small bear out of it. Hmmm, may try this now..why do the work knitting it allover again ?
May try both..sounds real fun.........Winney

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

KNITTED_FELTEDwhiteBear.jpgKNITTED_FELTEDbrownBear2.jpgShelli, you described it perfectly.  Just add a bit more, the heat opens up the scales on the fibers so the grab together.  It is a really neat and fun process but you must use 100% real wool.  Some white/bleached wools will not felt.  I found this out the hard way , by knitting an dentire rabbit..HUGE...then tried to felt it.  I found out from a specialty yarn shop that the wool I was using was bleached so  that is why it didn't work.

Here are a couple of photos of bears I have made from wool.  I knitted them with large needles and then feltied them in the washer.  I used a combination of wool mixed with a mohair yarn.  When I took these out of the washer they were so incredibly fuzzy and had shrunk down almost half the original size and was very thick.

After taking them out of the washer they need to be reshaped by hand, then laid out to air dry.  It takes a few days.  Then I put them together, jointed, just like my other bears.

It is fun fun fun!

Willamette Valley Oregon

Judi,

What absolutely adorable bears....I want one.  I love them!!!  I am constantly amazed at your creativity and talent.  I would never have dreamed of doing something like felting in this way. 

Very cool indeed...

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Thanks Shantell bear_wub   I just love knitties..especially fuzzy ones.   If you would like any of these patterns I would be happy to share them with you.  ....or anyone else too. bear_original

Board footer