Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Little Nan wrote:

I've messed around with the patterns I have but I'm trying to make a bear with a rounder head and shorter, softer muzzle, so I am wondering , do I just shorten the tradional type of muzzle or do I need to alter the shape completely ?
I have tried rounding off the muzzle but the section from the nose down to the chin is causing me big headaches !! I seem to get protruding chins and all sorts of shapes ! Help !

Hi, new member Nan! I'll get this thread started, but look forward to hearing from others as well.

First, the shape and size of the muzzle are determined by both the head gusset and the side-head pieces. If you want to shorten the muzzle, you'll need to shorten the nosey part of the head gusset AND the nosey part of the side head. Just remember: The length from the nose tip to the eye area need to be the same on both pieces if you want them to fit together correctly. (I use a piece of thread to measure since the gusset is curved.)

To get a rounder head, I sew darts across the head seams after the head pieces are all sewn together - in the areas where the ears will be attached.

Becky

Little Nan Posts: 233

Thanks for that info Becky !
I'll certainly give the darts a try ! bear_thumb

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

First, Welcome Nan - we're glad you jumped right in with some questions! We like those and you're likely to get several suggestions from different members, as we all work a little differently.

Me, too - shallow darts right at the top of the head on the side head pieces, going from that seam edge toward where the ears will be attached.
After the nap is brushed out and the ears are attached, the dart seam is never seen.
Just don't make it too wide a dart or you'll end up with a point that's hard to disguise.

Sometimes it helps to work this out in cheap muslin or other fabric first, realizing that if it looks pretty good this way after lightly stuffing to check the shaping, it's going to look even better in your bear fabric!

What size bears do you design? Minis? Smalls? Standard-sized? This will help us in our answers to you, as the solutions will differ slightly depending on the size of your teds.

Teddy Bear Menagerie Teddy Bear Menagerie

Hello,

Did you say you sew it together first, and THEN dart it? Or dart it first, and then sew the gusset and head pieces?

Thank you

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
TBM wrote:

Did you say you sew it together first, and THEN dart it? Or dart it first, and then sew the gusset and head pieces?

Hi, I sew the head together and then sew the darts. Once they're sewn, I snip each dart across the top to open it up and then release any stuck fur. (That way it's similar to any other seam once the head is turned right-side-out.)

I'm sure you could design a pattern with "matching" darts in the side heads and gusset, and then sew the darts first, and then carefully match them up as you sew the head together. But I think sewing the darts afterwards is easier, and once the head is together, I can see exactly where I want them, and how deep. etc.

Becky

allykat Fincastle Bears
Nürnberg

I am so glad this came up! I was hoping to do a 'round face' for my next bear (and first self-made pattern) and I was plotting out how to go about it. I'm a huge newbie to sewing in general so I was a little unclear about the darts, but I *think*I have it down after some googling. I'm going to try...

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I do the same thing to round the top of the head as Becky.  I sew all the pieces together,  then with the bear still inside out, and the muzzle facing me, I pull the cheeks for the bear out.  When I do that I can see exactly where the dart needs to go on either side across the top corners.  I then lay the piece  down flat and I pin.  I make sure that it is lined up perfectly straight on either side following the threads of the fabric.  That has saved me a whole bunch of time trying to get the ears even, because I can use the darts as a reference point. When I am done, I use a seam ripper to open the dart, and pull the fur to the other side.
I also use a traditional dart on either side of the side pieces down at the neck, up into the cheek area, it helps pull the cheeks out.

1361716638_head_004_thumb1.jpg

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Thanks for making the drawing, Joanne - It's always helpful to have a visual aid!

Becky

Board footer