Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Sarah Sarian Miniature Bears
South Wales

Don't you just hate it when you have a picture in your head for a new pattern design but getting it from the 3D version in your mind down to a pattern version on paper is not quite coming together.

I wish I was a computer geek and could design a programme that did the pattern for you from a 3D picture.  Hey-ho, back to the sketching....

Sorry, just felt the need for a little rant...   bear_wacko  bear_wacko

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

For sure!  Oh, the frustration!

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Oh yes Sarah! You're in the right place to vent lol.... There's a couple of 'looks' I've been trying to get for years now, but they're still escaping me bear_cry  but I've got some cuties along the way bear_grin

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Perhaps you should take a look at some clothing pattern drafting books.  I'm doing a course in that at the moment, and it's fascinating looking at where darts and so on will have an effect, maybe that would help?  If you can find a copy in your local library, Metric Pattern Cutting by Winifred Aldrich might work.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Hi Katy,
I looked into the purchase of that book on Amazon Used books; it's about $35. It certainly does cover a lot of basic info on flat pattern drafting!! I would be really tempted to purchase a copy - except the section on pants and fitting is unbelievably small. At least that's how it looked from the Index and the small peek from the preview pages, and none of the trouble-shooting that other books have covered.
But for understanding how to fit clothing and how it all goes together, how different seaming affects the fit.... this book looks like one that many people would rely on for a standard 'bible' on their reference shelf.
Thx for the information!

Carlyle Bear Co. Carlyle Bear Co.
Ft Myers FL

bear_shocked They always look so perfect on paper - but then when you put them together argh!  Soooo frustrating.  I have wanted to take a pattern draping course for some time now, maybe I'll purchase the book mentioned instead!  Thanks for the info Katy!

Sarah Sarian Miniature Bears
South Wales

bear_original  Glad to read that I'm not alone. I think I've nearly got it now but only time (and stitching) will tell.

Thank you for the tip on the book Katy, will have to check it out.  bear_thumb

Elli Posts: 102

When I'm struggling with a difficult shape, the easiest way for me is to make a clay model and take the pattern from it. I tried it out a few times and where always delighted with the result.

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

My background is in dressmaking.  I sewed clothes for over 30 years before I started making dolls, bears and critters.  I think these skills helped me a lot when making patterns and transferring 3D ideas into 3D patterns.  I still sometimes refer back to my dressmaking books when I get stuck!  I also find it easier when I am making my prototypes over and over with corrections in between, to use good quality paper towels instead of fabric.  No need to turn them right side out, just sew, a little stuffing and throw away when the corrections are made and the pattern complete.  Less time and resources.

1343060147_img_1038.jpg

Beth Anne Beth Anne Bears
New River, AZ
tcfolk wrote:

My background is in dressmaking.  I sewed clothes for over 30 years before I started making dolls, bears and critters.  I think these skills helped me a lot when making patterns and transferring 3D ideas into 3D patterns.  I still sometimes refer back to my dressmaking books when I get stuck!  I also find it easier when I am making my prototypes over and over with corrections in between, to use good quality paper towels instead of fabric.  No need to turn them right side out, just sew, a little stuffing and throw away when the corrections are made and the pattern complete.  Less time and resources.

This is a great idea! Seeing something in 3D is always helpful. bear_thumb I was just venting on another thread about the problem of getting a pattern right to match what's in my head and then I went to the "library" section and found another good thread about designing patterns.

http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=2963

I especially like the post from matilda showing how to lay out a pattern with paper to check the dimensions. It's a 2D approach, so maybe not what others are looking for. There's also a link to Nancy Tillberg's online course called "Designing Teddy". It looks interesting, although I haven't done it.

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

Thanks Beth Anne. I like to use books.  They sit beside me on my table so I can refer to them constantly as I am doing the procedures.  Probably the best one I've ever run across for me is Teddy Bear Art by Jennifer Laing published in 1998 about pattern design for teddies.  I have gone thru it so many times. My copy has lots of highlighted text and has many, many notes in the margins.  Every time I start designing a new pattern, I run thru this book for a refresher.

Beth Anne Beth Anne Bears
New River, AZ
tcfolk wrote:

Thanks Beth Anne. I like to use books.  They sit beside me on my table so I can refer to them constantly as I am doing the procedures.  Probably the best one I've ever run across for me is Teddy Bear Art by Jennifer Laing published in 1998 about pattern design for teddies.  I have gone thru it so many times. My copy has lots of highlighted text and has many, many notes in the margins.  Every time I start designing a new pattern, I run thru this book for a refresher.

I love instruction books also!  bear_grin

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

I've done the same or similar, Thelma- - but didn't bother sewing.. I just used a stapler!

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

Oh boy, one step further - I'm going to try an elephant design in the near future, I can hardly wait to staple my paper towels - really great idea, Bobbie, Thanks!

Board footer