Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

bear_flower Hello, as a self-taught bear maker, I haven't much experience with courses, so would be interested to know what you think about them please.  For example, what makes for a good course and what would you consider a fair price to pay?  What are the pros and cons?

All opinions gratefully received!

Thanks!  bear_original

teeeej Brisbane

I have done both online bear making courses and in person workshops. I work full time so I can't get to as many in person workshops as I would like to. Online workshops are good because I don't have to travel anywhere to do it and you can work at your own pace and in your own time. It also allowed me to do workshops with artists in other countries I would never get a chance to meet otherwise. A good course needs to have lots of pictures with clear explanations. They don't need to involve a whole bear either. Courses on certain techniques are great as well.

The cons of course are that you don't get the same personal interaction with the teacher or other students.

I have paid between $30 and $60 for online workshops depending on the length of time and difficulty of the project.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I did an Online course Paula. It was ok but i did mIss the hands on input. I think it ought to have an interactive aspect to it. Maybe Skype etc for it to work well. I would prefer a book if its just a case of reading and looking at photos.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I've taken two online courses, and I liked the fact that there was a timeline and a deadline for completing the work. It made for a nice, manageable challenge that I actually did (rather than putting it off indefinitely). In addition to the tutorials (photo and video) and pattern, there was a photo album and a discussion board for sharing with the other participants (no matter what time zone they might live in). I think the cost was around $60.

I already know that you do terrific photo tutorials, and for me it's a huge bonus that your writing skills are excellent, so I encourage you and I'll likely be on your list of enrollees. bear_flower

Becky

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

I've done a few online courses, and video based ones like Craftsy does is a great style, you get someone physically showing you how to do things, but you can pause it whenever you like to take notes, and, of course, replay as often as you like.  As Becky says, a photo album type feature and group discussion whether on google groups, a notice board style, and/or live chats at certain times, is also a bonus when you have questions.

Kent
Website

These comments are really helpful, thank you so much for your advice!  I really appreciate it and am making notes as the thread evolves!  bear_tongue  :thumbsup::rose:

Plum Cottage Bears Plum Cottage Bears
Long Beach, CA

Plum Cottage Bears Cute Animal Ambassador

I have taken both online and face-to-face classes.  Of the two, I have gotten more out of the face-to-face group classes than I have the online classes.  There used to be a teddy bear convention near where I live once a year.  At that time I wasn't good enough to exhibit at their sale, but I went yearly for the bear making instruction.  Later, I went to courses given by well-known artists at Edinburgh Imports (when they were based in Newbury Park, California).  When I had a shop, I had artists come to give classes, and taught bear making myself.  Now there are no face-to-face classes given in my area.  The only alternative is online classes.  I have had varying success with those classes.  In the past I taught distance learning computer classes for a graduate program out of New York City.  I am used to communicating online, but given a choice, I would still take a face-to-face group class.

Kent
Website

I am interested in the concept of online courses, because they aren't limited by locality.  As you've mentioned, the opportunity to have a point of contact with the tutor is appealing, as it's something books can't offer.  I don't think it's an 'either/or' situation ... online classes, face-to-face tutoring and learning from books are all useful ways of passing on skills.

Board footer