Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Robin Fourcrows Art and Photography
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Website

Hi everyone, I'm very new, and talked a bit over on the felting board...but never ventured out...but this was just too exciting for me to let go...

I just found my ancient little lamb that I would never part with as a child.  He's very fragile, almost fuzzless, and just as adorable as I remember him. 

I'd like to make a pattern of him to recreate, but I have no idea how to go about it without taking him apart. 

I'm not very good at sewing, and I hate my machine, but I know I could figure it out enough for one piece. 

Could anyone direct me to a site or to some information that could help me?  I would appreciate it more than you know!

Happy day to you all!

Robin  bear_flower

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Can you carefully take your dear little lamb's measurements  and transfer these measurements to a paper pattern?  If you find where the seams are in him and take those measurements to create each pattern piece you should be able to recreate your little guy.  You could also create a needlefelted lamb is you are more comfortable in that medium and then trasfer that to a pattern.  Drapping would work but I don't that I can explain how to do it.  Good Luck and I am happy for you that you found your lamb.
Donna

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original  I wish I could find my old bear and my raccoon Aroma!

Measuring is the best idea. You could also try draping too, and use one method as a check on the other.

Depending on the size of your lamb, I'd try tissue, paper towel, thin muslin--anything soft.

Step 1 would be to pin the pattern fabric to your lamb, separate pattern piece by separate pattern piece, pinning  darts (if any) and marking the seam line with pins first, then pencil, pen or chalk. You're not allowed to stretch the pattern fabric to fit the lamb--just to mark cutting lines and darts. When you remove the pattern fabric, you should have a usable pattern to transfer to firmer stock.

After you've done this for each separate piece of the lamb, I'd check lamb measurements against pattern measurements. Finally, it pays to make sure that matching/reversed pieces are identical. Sometimes I've needed to drape a bit twice to get it right.

Once you've got your pattern right, all you need to do is add seam allowances.

I hope this helps!

Eileen

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Website

Thank you Donna and Eileen so much!  bear_grin I played with it some yesterday, tracing around it and doing some sketches...it seems very basic, two sides, a gusset on the head and an underbody...I'm going to run out and get some cheap fabric today then I'll try both the measuring method and the draping method and see what I come up with.  I did order some mohair yesterday that seems to match him perfectly, so I'm excited about that. 

One more question if anyone has time...he's not very big, probably no more than 10" across and 8" high (he's upstairs and I'm too lazy to run up and get him to give you an exact number   bear_shocked   )  but do you recommend that I hand sew or machine sew?  My machine drives me crazy...it seems to have a mind of it's own with thin fabrics...with the tension changing as the bobbin runs out...I've never sewn any kind of thick material on it...maybe I should pick up some fur today too?  hmmmm...

By the way, Eileen, was your raccoon named Aroma, or did you have some kind of exotic perfume???   bear_tongue

I had forgotten all about my box of things in the attic...it also had a very old printed quilt with those cute animals from the 50's printed on it...along with a bevy of books...it was really very inspiring!  I'm thinking of doing some storybook animals from it...

ok, sorry, I tend to babble...thank you again, I appreciate it more than you'll know!   bear_flower
Robin

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

There is not a problem with your hand sewing your little lamb.  Use a backstitch on it.  If you would be more comfortable with using the machine, try some scraps of the mohair.  If you try using a synthetic to test your machine, it won't give you a true test.  Your machine will act differently with the synthetic than it will the mohair.  The mohair will be easier to sew.  One important thing is to have a new sharp needle in your machine.
We would love to see pictures of your lamb and your quilt.
Donna

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Website

Donna, I spent all day yesterday making tiny little bears, just to see if my stitches were still up to par.  I think I may just hand sew him.  That's a really good point about the machine... but I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to throw it out the window...

I had my Grandmothers ancient Singer for years, and loved it...then sprang for a new Brother and gave hers to my sister in law.  this thing gives me nothing but misery for anything but the most basic projects... 

I'd love to show you pics of both the quilt and the lamb...but my camera is in Boston with my DH for a couple of weeks...so as soon as he's back, I'll show you.  Ok?

bear_flower   Have a great day!

Board footer