Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

ScottBear scott's bears

Good luck to all the countrys that are hear on TT!! give a shout out to your teams by country..  As an olympic junky and a bear lover I always look for athletes holding  teddys for luck!!! I always find at least one.. always been a guy by the way (I love that ) !!! can you find a athlete from your country with a teddy ?
I SPY A TEDDY POST ONE IF YOU SEE ONE

BearHugs
SCOTT

ScottBear scott's bears

bear_sad no teddys !! first time !! maybe at the events ( I hope)
But what a great parade of ideas for dressing winter teddys !!! this is my list of likes please pipe up for your picks !!!!

BEST OVERALL OUTFIT: Canada !!! white muton HATS with flaps up or down with jackets embrioed with the year and maple leaf VERY VERY COOL
BEST HATS : CANADA just have to give to them very cool (would look great on a teddy)
BEST EARMUFF: Denmark flag red with white cross very cool
BEST SCARF : Latvia cream knit TRIPLE wrapped and tied very nice and kind of mod classic
BEST BOOTS : Denmark red with white fur trim and white fur at a sole very funky
BEST MITTENS : Sweden Flags on the palm (would make a great idea for a bear palm up ("talk to the mitten")lol
BEST HAT THAT WOULD MAKE A GREAT TEDDYBEAR : Mongolia fur fur and more fur was that some kind of fox ? with the tails as the ear flaps !
Most interesting designed hat : USA gathered and brimless with piping ! kind of sailor style would you not say done in three colors red white blue (wounder if they traded each other for the colors that whey wanted ) very cool collector item (need to check ebay to see how many make it to auction)
MOST MODERN FOWARD: ITALY shinny bronze micro fiber with silver fox trim
BEST CLASSIC DRESSED : SLOVENIA !! YEP SLOVENIA !!! cream crape quilted jackets with SAGE scarf's with matching gloves topped with contrasting snap caps for the men and knit hats done in a soft powered winter blue..the undershirts done in modern micro fiber with a great stand up collar

OK you New Zealanders have to tell me what your flagbearer was wearing as a cape !!!! was it feathers? a fur ? DUCK ! what was that !!! very very very cool!!!

OK did you see Sophia Loren carrying the olympic flag she MUST have a pack with the devil that woman is 71 years old and just STUNNING STUNNING !!!!
Hands up for pack with the devil .... bear_grin

BearHugs
SCOTT

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Hi Scott the ceremony was great wasn't it! I to admired the costuming wore by the athletes and yes that flagbearer's cape was fantastic. As for Sophia Loren how the heck does that woman do it, I feel there has been one heck of a lot of surgical help there but she does look amazing for her age. I am really looking forward to the games and like you Scott I will be planted in front of the screen watching...another junky here!
I'm watching out for that bear.
Scott have you checked your PMs recently?

Hugs Jane.  bear_thumb

ScottBear scott's bears

51_1_b.jpg6d_1_b.jpgOlympic Mascots have been a tradition since the 60's ...How many bears have been used as mascots ...Can you Name them?! 
POST POST POST
PS all the Artists from canada should be thinking about designing for your country  !! the olympic board from the host country always has an open contest to design the Mascots !! How great would that be to have one of your designs be the mascot for the next olympics!!!

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I remember the winter games of '88. THey were in my city and we did have 2 bears as our mascot. I had forgotten all about that.

And Scott, thanks for the reminder. Maybe I will submit an idea sometime.

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Hi Scott,

I never got to watch the opening ceremony of the Winter Olympic Games - It did not seem to
be showing on any of our Channels as far as I could see.
Hopefully we might get to see it on the news tonight.
About the Cloak that you saw our flag bearer carrying yes it is a:

Feather Cloak - Kahu huruhur

This is a Traditional garment of the Maori ( our indigenous people to NZ).
the feather cloak is a highly prized and a Family heirloom.
the base of the cloak was made from flax and then the feathers, which were usually feathers
from the kiwi or wood pigeon, were woven in to finish the cloak.
Hope this helps.

bear_original

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Just got your PM for more information on the KIWI.

Kiwi are a flightless, nocturnal bird and are the National symbol of NZ and it's people.
They are normally brown in colour and there are a few  albino ones.
Kiwi were threatened and could soon become extinct on NZ's mainland.
There have been kiwi recovery programmes set up to help protect them from predators.

bear_flower

Dilu Posts: 8,574

great topic Scott!

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Carolyn - the olympics were on tv1 in the morning and then again in the afternoon.  I missed both of them unfortunately.

Scott - glad that the kahu hururhuru caught your eye!  They truly are beautiful.  When I was at university I was fortunate enough to go "behind the scenes" at the museum and see drawers of rare kahu that were over 200 years old.  The "kahu" means cloak and "hurhuru" feathers.  Of all kahu huruhuru those most prized were "kahu kiwi" cloaks made from kiwi feathers - and the most prized feathers were those from albino kiwi.  I linked  a picture of one below for you

http://www.tepapa.govt.nz/TePapa/Englis … huKiwi.htm

I missed it too - Carolyn - they were on TV1 in the morning and a highlights was on from 4 till 6.  Wished i had seen it

ScottBear scott's bears

First bear sighting is in the Kiss & Cry of pair skating with the china team and is a sweet B&W PANDA  made by GUND !!

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

Scott, I missed it. We had visitors and I missed the skating. Hopefully my daughter has taped it all and I can catch up and spot the Panda too...although a little late.

Hugs Jane  bear_thumb

ScottBear scott's bears

bear_sad  In one of the most classyist moments in sports our MICHELLE KWAN has pulled out of the olympic games bear_sad her olympic gold dreams are over and my heart go out to her, few have ever represented the USA with such grace and pure class . So now as she sits in the "Kiss & Cry" of life I toss onto the ice that she ruled and graced Teddy after Teddy
                                               " When the Teddybears came raining down on me ,I was like, WOW love"
                                                                                                                Michelle Kwan after winning her 9th US title
Tossing Teddys with love and respect
SCOTT

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I'm just back from a weekend away with no Olympic time.  Why did Michelle pull out??? 

:(

I used to figure skate and don't track the sport like I used to but of course she is a sentimental favorite.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Strained groin muscle.  She didn't do well in her practice sessions.

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

bear_original
Scott, we have watched some of the Olympics, but I am needle felting so watching my fingers more than the TV screen, will have to tell hubby to watch for teddy's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lynette

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Scott, I whish i had read your post earlier.
Iwatched the halfpipe snowboard this afternoon. This was women finale.  Therewas one athlete who showed her bear mascot when it was her turn. Unfortunately, I cannot remember which one this was.
I remember I thought I would have loved to see one of my bears instead!

so ONE BEAR WITH A FEMALE SNOWBOARD ATHLETE.

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

ScottBear scott's bears

sophie ! I was driving to a fellow bearmakers house to pet and bear sit LOL AHH I missed it !! was he cute? manufacturd or old and well loved!! Boy that must be some cool bear to be going down that half pipe and spinning and twisting.
Do you remember what the womans name was or what country she was from?
BearHugs
Scott

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Well, Scott, the bear was very small and they did not show him well. all we could see is that he was dressed, about 6 inches tall. We could not even see his face.  bear_sad

And I am sorry, but I cannot remember who was the woman who showed it... bear_sad
Please, forgive me!

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

ScottBear scott's bears

I warched all the woman in the halfpipe snowboerding and  must have missed it
So few bears this year BUT I just found out one of the reasons !! most times I see bear is in ice skating WELL fans can only toss PLASTIC flowers No real ones ! and no other stuff can be tossed  a few have but I want onto a fan site and asked why so few bears and that what all the real hardcore Olympic nut's told me ...Funny thing that im not that bad but the folks on the line I found were real bad
well I am still on the hunt !
did anyone watch the china pairs skaters that fell WOW what guts she had to get back up and finnish !!!!
Bearhugs
scott

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

Yes Scott I saw the ice skating, boy is it awesome. I would love to be able to move like that and yes it did take guts to get up and finish  but thats what proffesional folks do. I'm just loving these games! I too was needle felting and stupidly trying to do two things at once that need my eyes focused on them...well you've guessed...I stabbed myself. It bled for at least half an hour because of the medication Warfarin that I'm on so it gave me lots of concentration time for the games.

Hugs Jane  bear_flower

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Kiki.jpgANOTHER BEAR!

Our French  snowboarder Karine Ruby, came this time again with some Kiki (the same as last time, according to the commentators).
She has not been lucky this year, as shame as this was her last Olympic games.

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

ScottBear scott's bears

What a sweet li"l guy !!! I have been house and pet sitting for a bear artist and she was very slow internet connection (very slow ) so I have not abanded this thread I just cant post with my normal speed and long winded self ...I have been watching every sec of the olympic's and for the first time in years and years I have only found the one you talked about !! what is going on with bears? we need to fix this for the next one in BC CN in 4 years ! we need to design one for the game and get it to the comity to be the Mascot !!! ok you CN artists start working!!!
BearHugs
Scott

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Shani-Davis.jpgThis pic of Shani Davis (American speedskater) was in today's paper.  He won a gold!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Now that's more like it! Way to go, Shani! Flaunt that bear!  bear_wub

Eileen

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Scott, I also love watching the Olympics. 

Sue Ann, you beat me to it.  I was going to mention Davis holding that bear.  I watched his race where he wond the gold and they showed him holding it up.  Then he carried the bear in another shot.

Board footer