Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

S5300018.JPGHere is my recent attempt at a mini... I don't like how she turned out  bear_sad  Sheesh, she was a pain to make! I need to perfect my mini skills.. Kims, Stephanie, Amanda, I dont know how you do it!

She is under 3" sitting and a bit under 3 1/2" standing... Ok, back to bigger bears and needlefelting  bear_laugh  bear_laugh

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Well, I admire anyone who tries to make something that small . . . you'll notice that I will never be doing it!!  Well done, Kim!

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

IMG_0575.JPGDon't give up Kim. I made one from a similar fabric and I cursed every stitch of the way. The fabric was such hard work. Why do you think I use Sassy long pile, it sews like a dream. I also had their thin needles and even their thread sews up better. The grid backing does not fray and the limbs turn easily with my forcepts. Heres the bear I made, which I still have. If you send me your address I'll post you some short pile fabric so you can see how easy it is to use.  :hug:

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I havent tried sassy long pile yet... I did order some but I didnt order any sassy long pile...

sockerplinga Sundsvall
Website

She is lovley!!  bear_original  A real cutie I think!!

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Good job Kim....I love his bright nose! He is cute ...

Amanda..Thanks for the info. on Sassay long pile fabrics....I am going to order some but I didnt know about the thread and the thin needles she has making the work go easier......I am willing to try anything . Kim is a brave girl !!!....Winney

duff Deedle Bears
Dallas

Hi Kim!   

Great little bear, don't be so hard on yourself!  It is like learning bear making all over.  I am doing the opposite of you for the swap and doing a larger bear (just like learning bear making all over!)   

I agree with Amanda,  try the Sassy Fabric.    I too have sewn with a fabric that looks very similar to your little guy and was not 100% pleased with it.   I try to stick to the vintage long pile UV or Sassy fabric.   

I personally sew my little guys/gals with a beading needle and Gutermann Insivible tread.   Took me a bear or two to find the right tension with the invisible thread.    My first bears were with thread and I was always breaking it   bear_angry    drove me crazy.   The beading needle is nice, thin but long enough to really hold on to.   I would try a few more at your current size, (if you still have the heart to) then if you feel like it try down sizing to around 3 inches, 2.75inches,2.5 inches etc...   But I really think if you want to try a few more go with the Sassy Fabric.   

If you want to try the vintage UV, let me know I have a piece I could spare.  Once you sew with it, it is hard to ever want to use anything else.  But again, Sassy's comes in real close.

Duff

Dilu Posts: 8,574

kIM, SHE IS CUUUUTE....DON'T PUT HER DOWN, SHE'LL GET A COMPLEX.

Try the sassy long pile smoked or non smoked its a great fabric for minis....and if you are doing2-3" you can get 3 out of one piece....well depending on the style and shapes....maybe factor in 2 out of one piece....not too bad

:hug:

dilu

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I have some mini fabric that the gal who was selling it on ebay "claimed" it was vintage upholstry velvet... I got it and it wasnt bear_sad 

I want to make more minis  not for another bear or two though.. I have had my frustration with this one LOL...

iamjan Posts: 21

I think she's adorable.  :clap:  I have to agree that having the fabric from Sassy makes a world of difference.  My first mini was from what I thought was upholstery velvet, but who knows.  Then based on what I read here I ordered fabric and thread and needes from Sassy and it is so much better to work with!!!

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Kim Bee!  Quit being so hard on yourself!  Sheesh!   bear_wub  You know, PA isn't all that far away from Ohio... if you keep putting yourself down... I think that I WILL run over there and knock some sense into you Kimmy!   bear_smile

Your bear is great, you silly thing you!  :hug:

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

clare14 Country Bears
England

Awww Kim, your bear's cute!!   bear_wub   And I LOVE LOVE LOVE your new Avatar, sooo pretty!!   Just like you!!!

I am having a bad 'bear' day today  bear_cry  bear_whistle    Know how you're feeling - I'll be screaming before long!!!   bear_laugh

Deb Upstate New York

Clare with the new avatar!  CUTE!

I won't even try a mini Kim, so looks good to me!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania
WildThyme wrote:

Kim Bee!  Quit being so hard on yourself!  Sheesh!   bear_wub  You know, PA isn't all that far away from Ohio... if you keep putting yourself down... I think that I WILL run over there and knock some sense into you Kimmy!   bear_smile

Your bear is great, you silly thing you!  :hug:

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

LMAO!!! I think she looks like Alf!!! HA HA!  I like the body but not her head or face.. I just figured I would do something fun with her face since I knew I didnt like the head LOL... She is looking at me now oh so sad LOL...

Minis are FRUSTRATING!

Thank you Clare  :hug:   

Deb.. you should try it just once!!!

Hudson, Ohio

I really need to go down the basement and search through my kids' stuffed animal bins and find my first ever fabric bear... a mini... and even made from a pattern just so you girls can see.  I don't want to say that it is "atrociously awful"... simply because I do know that we all have to start somewhere... I am not heartless enough to throw her away, but I secretly keep hoping that she will become permanently lost.  What the kids have done to her in the past couple of years have just added to her misery! 
When you are "Downsizing" and you really get to the point where it's absolutely frustrating... the first few bears are really about getting those teenie tiny sewing skills into shape.  THEN you work on asthetic appeal later on!  That's certainly the way I did at least.   

Kimmy Bee.... I truly think that you have a secret fascination with Alf...   bear_wub  didn't you have another bear early on that you thought resembled Alf too?   bear_tongue   On a really tiny one, that longer pile shaggy fabric can be difficult to work with at first... at least as far as determining the shapes and lines that you want to see in your bears.  Seriously Kim, I think that's all that it is.  Try another wee little one in a shorter, less shaggy pile so that you can work out the basic form that you want.  Then try the shaggy stuff again.  That would be my advice....  She is WAY better than my first attempt at a very small one Kim!  Way better!

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals
http://www.picturetrail.com/bastadolls

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

She isn't  my first mini attempt.. she is about my third but she is my first mini with a longer type fabric... Maybe I should have lined her first but I thought that would make turning very difficult... hmmm...

thank you Kim, I will try more, I am just not going to for a while LMAO

Hudson, Ohio

Oh, Kim....I know she's not your first mini ...  I was in no way implying that she looked like a first.... I didn't mean to give that impression.... Isn't she a bit smaller in scale though than the ones you were doing before?  She's WAY better than my third or fourth, or fifth mini too. I kept my first ever mini, but 2-10 are at the bottom of a landfill somewhere!  bear_grin    bear_wub  bear_wub

Kim basta
Wild Thyme Originals

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I know you werent saying that, Kim LOL... I need to make the gusset shorter and the head rounder but I have to do some more figuring with that one LOL

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Hey Kim,

Yes, you need to stop being so hard on yourself! I TOLD you!! LOL  All this miniature bear making stuff is a precise thing.  Eventually, you'll tinker with the pattern til it's 'just right' and you'll be on your way! 

You have no idea how many heads I had laying around with no eyes or anything when I first started because I just didn't like how they turned out.   Our shelf unit in the breakfast nook started to look like something out of a b class teddy bear headhunter movie.  I got the hint and finally chucked them all when my husband started finding all of my pins scattered about and used the heads for pin cushions.

Kimberly W.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania
BearBottoms wrote:

Hey Kim,

Yes, you need to stop being so hard on yourself! I TOLD you!! LOL  All this miniature bear making stuff is a precise thing.  Eventually, you'll tinker with the pattern til it's 'just right' and you'll be on your way! 

You have no idea how many heads I had laying around with no eyes or anything when I first started because I just didn't like how they turned out.   Our shelf unit in the breakfast nook started to look like something out of a b class teddy bear headhunter movie.  I got the hint and finally chucked them all when my husband started finding all of my pins scattered about and used the heads for pin cushions.

Kimberly W.

HA!!! I know in my head what I want the head to look like and I sketch sketch sketch but I just can't seem to get the roundness and the puffiness I am after... like your heads.. My patterns I usually draw have a longer "snoot" to them...

Board footer