Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

daria_cher Minimishki
Moscow

Hi everyone!

I hope you can help me with my question.

I've noticed that some artist bears have "styled" fur i.e the pile, usually the eyebrows, has something brushed through it that makes the fur lie in a particular direction and stay there. Sort of like human hair styled with gel or hairspray.
I can only assume its very diluted glue, but I'm too scared to use it in case it leaves a residue and I'm not entirely sure what kind of glue to use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated  :rose:

Thank you in advance,

Daria

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Daria, I don't know of anyone who uses glue in the fur.

Maybe you could direct us to photos? It depends on the type of fur, but sometimes just brushing is enough. Other times, people might use a little water to make the fur damp (not totally wet). Then you can use some tape to hold the fur in place until it dries.

Becky

daria_cher Minimishki
Moscow

Hi Becky,

This is a photo of my Charlie Bear Sovereign. When he was new, the fur above his eyes (the "eyebrows") was a little stiffer than the rest of the fur and would lie more readily in the direction it is now. With time (and lots of cuddling) whatever product was used to make it stiffer has worn off and its now soft like the rest of his fur. It felt almost like a tiny bit of human hair gel or something of that sort.
Can this really be achieved with just water? That does sound alot safer and more pleasant than glue  bear_tongue bear_happy

1355831169_sov.jpg

I'm mostly looking to reach the same effect of eyebrows on plush bears. Sovereign's fur is quite long but when the pile is shorter, it's more difficult to get it to make those sweet charismatic eyebrows that I've seen some artists achieve. My main reason for doing this is that while I know how the fur is meant to look and I can brush it into place before displaying the bear, people who receive my bears might not position the fur the same way after taking them out of the packaging and the bear will miss out on those cute eyebrows I intended. Maybe I'm just being paranoid bear_happy I was just hoping there was a way to, at least initially, show the collector how the eyebrows are meant to look.

Daria

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Oh, that's interesting about your Charlie Bear, Daria. Sometimes hair products are used, and maybe that's what they did.

The water trick works well with mohair (just like it works with our own hair), but probably not as well with faux fur. Perhaps a water-based hairstyling gel, as you suggest?

Becky

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

For me the important thing is the direction the pile lies...that helps to create the shape you want without using products on the pile. I would be very careful using glue or even hair styling products on plush fabrics. I think they could be damaging to the pile. I think your Charlie Bear might have some shading over the eyes ...hence why the fabric seems  a different texture.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

If there was gel on it the cuddling may have softened it, but it would still be there.  If it is a little spritz of water should re-stiffen it.

daria_cher Minimishki
Moscow

Hmm, I'll try water on Sovereign, see what happens to him.

Thank you for your ideas! bear_flower

Board footer