Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

blambert Posts: 5

has anyone attended this show in the past?

how would you describe it?

thanks,

bruce

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Hi Bruce,
I am not sure which show you mean.  Where did you find info on it and where is the show?  Are you talking about the old Linda Mullins show that is now the ABC Unlimited Productions San Diego show?
Donna

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Woo hoo?

Are you going to be a new member?  Or just dropping by for some info?  Either way, hello, glad to meet you.....I haven't heard of this show, but I think Shelli did something on shows, I'll go look seee and bring it back if I can find it.

OK here's what I did find?  From Donna:

[These are the ones I know of in the near future.  Reno, NV I know it is not California but it is not that far from you.  It is Oct. 29, I will not be attending that show because of the bear get together.   
Nov. 19 Golden Gate San Jose show.
Dec. 3 Golden Gate Marin Show.
Dec. 3 Pleasanton Hotel Pleasanton CA
Jan. 13-15 2006  ABC San Diego
Jan. 14 Crossroads Doll and Bear show Roseville, CA

I am sure there are more that I can't think of right now.  Will post as I think of them.]

dilu

actually the show i was wondering about is at this link

http://www.teddybearcastle.com/

it is titled the Teddy Bear Convention in Nevada City, CA April 7,8,9.

i'm interested to know whether it is worth going to.  i'm more interested in seeing unusual bears and supplies for making bears.

and if you don't think this show is worthwhile, what shows are worthwhile?

thanks,
bruce

Burbank, CA

The Nevada City is show is a great place to go for a wide selection of bears.  Dale from Intercal should be there with more mohair than you can imagine.  Darlene Bennett will be there representing Edinburgh.  She also does a bear making class if you are interested.  In the past, Sierra Meadows has been there with supplies.  Don't know if she will be there this year or not.  There are three good sized rooms full of bears and bear making supplies.  There should be needlefelting supplies and copic markers.  How far are you from Nevada City?  This one and the San Diego show are the ones that you don't want to miss.
Donna

thanks Donna for the great input!

we live in Washington state, so it's a few day trip to attend either show.....and it sounds like it would be well worth while!

There is a Doll and Teddy Bear show in Puyallup, WA, but from what i've read so far, it seems like it is mostly skewed toward dolls....

bruce

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hi Bruce.  I'm relatively new to the industry and haven't been to all that many shows, but I've both attended (once) and exhibited (once) at the Nevada City show, and will do so again this coming April.  There is a wide selection of all kinds of bears, plus, as Donna said, there are actual supplier TABLES... plus exhibitors with supplies of their own from which you can choose any number of bearmaking accoutrements (brushes, eyes, pins, joints, mohair, patterns, you name it!)

The venue in Nevada City is just beautiful; it's an old foundry with stone walls and beautiful lighting and vintage wood tools hung from the walls.  So visually, it's an especially pretty location.

The town of Nevada City gets entirely into the bear show every year; I think this is the 23rd annual show so it's been around for a very long time!  Merchants display teddies in their windows and everyone knows about the show at local hotels and restaurants. 

There's fine dining to be found and lots of pretty little walks up crooked streets, and I recall a particularly nice little book and coffee/tea spot with a little patio out front where a few moments respite were well spent.

All in all it makes for a charming, romantic, bear-filled, supply-gathering weekend.  And even though I'm not all that well travelled in terms of shows, I think you would be hard-pressed to find a more lovely venue.

The two years I went (2004, 2005) the show was almost entirely artist bears, with a very few manufactured ones thrown in, and a table or two for promoters, etc.  The selection is varied and you can find something from $20 to $500.

As for unusual bears... Lori Leeper (I think she goes by Lori Simon now... Donna, help me out)... was in attendence both times I visited the NC show.  She makes GLORIOUS real fur bears that are quite unlike most anything else you'll find.  "Big" names I've seen exhibiting over the two years I attended also include Joan Woessner (& son), Candy Taylor, Dorothy Stuhr, John Paul Port, Denis Shaw, Kathleen Wallace (Stier Bears -- Donna did I get her name right?), Karen O'Brien, Susan Arnot, Donna Butts, and a number of other award winning artists whose names I didn't know when I first attended and therefore didn't retain, but who brought their trophies and nominated pieces to the show for all to see!

It's a really great and friendly show and I just can't say enough about how much fun I had both visiting it, and actually doing it, from behind the scenes.

Hope this helps!  Come say hi if you end up attending!  I'm POTBELLY BEARS!

Burbank, CA

Hi Bruce,
I do the show in Roseville that is put on by the same promoter that does the Puyallup show.  You are correct, it is geared more towards dolls but there is a fair representation of bears at this one.  You could contact Dorothy and find out how many bears are at the show in Puyallup.  A show that is closer to you would be the Lincoln City, OR show in Oct.  There is also a Portland OR show.  I have not done the Portland show myself so can't give input on that one.  Dale from Intercal and a rep from Edinburgh should be at both of those shows.  Bev where are you?  Give Bruce some help with shows in the Washington area.   If you want info on the Lincoln City or Portland shows let me know and I will have the promoters send you info packets.
One of the things I love about the Nevada City show is the atmosphere of the area.  It is one of the shows that if you go you want to try to extend your stay to enjoy the area.   To me the Nevada City and the Lincoln City shows are the ones where you have a feeling of warm fuzzies from all the people attending.
Are you collector status or artist?
Donna

thanks for all the great input about the shows.....

i'm actually researching this for my wife who is a serious bear maker.......she's not been to a show in a long time but wants to go to a couple just to look and buy.....and i wanted to find a couple of great shows for her and surprise her with a trip to the shows.....

so now you can really see why all your great input is so appreciated!

thanks, bruce

Burbank, CA

Bruce,
Are you still hanging around?  I have been doing bears for 10 years, have I been around long enough to recognize your wife?  Tell us more, we promise not to spoil the surprise!  I recognize Lambert as someone who did sweaters for bears.  Several books.  Is that your wife?
Donna

Hi Donna,

no, the Lambert you are thinking of is a different person. 

i think i may have miss stated my wife's involvment with bears.....she's a serious bear maker, but only as a hobby....not as a business.....and she has a modest interest in collecting bears.

grins, bruce

Board footer