Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Janesjollybears JanesJollyBears
Ft.Lauderdale

Hi Everyone! Would anybody know if Avanti bears ( Jockline - made in Italy) are rare or collectible? Some I see on Ebay are decently priced, yet others are WAY out of my price range! Was just curious & couldn't find anything on the topic on Google. I just adopted 2 baby brown 1986 cubs from Ebay ( LOVE AT 1ST SIGHT!!) Had to have for my Hug, and was just wondering?   Jane :)

Here's my two new little guys!

1366560778_1986_vintage_jockline_bears.jpg

BlackmoonBear Sacred Bear Studios
Saint Petersburg, Florida

Those two are and adorable pair!
Lets see.....Avanti bears aren't rare in general, they were a popular premium brand in the 80's, however, the largest examples can be worth a modest sum, especially the semi-reaslistic bears like yours.

remember, just because some avantis are being listed for outrageous sums doesn't mean they'll sell for anywhere near the asking price.

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

Wow, they are gorgeous, Jane.  :love:
Admittedly I had never heard of Avanti Bears (you learn something every day  bear_happy ), but I don't think they were made in Italy.
Apparently they were made in Korea, so this probably means that they are not very valuable.
I saw one of these bears on e-bay for $ 382 and I think that this is a rip-off.   bear_angry

Jenbee Barnetby Bears
England
Website

I must say i haven't heard of those bears myself, but wow they are really lovely.

Us Bears Pennsylvania

I think people just don't consider what things actually are before they post them on eBay, thinking they'll get a million dollars for whatever they want to sell.

Avanti are nice Bears.  They are better than the average but they are certainly not at the level of Steiff.  They are a nice, mid-level collectible.
They would be a good thing for a kid who wanted to start a collection to have.  Nice enough to be stand-outs in a collection but not so expensive as to break a kid's piggy bank.

About pricing...
I could have an original, mint condition Honus Wagner baseball card.  (That's the one that Wayne Gretzky paid $2,000,000 for.)  I could say that my card is worth $2 million.  Since a famous person like Gretzky paid $2M for his, mine ought to be worth at least that much.  Right?  Well, maybe so but, unless I can find some chump willing to part with 2 million clams, I'm stuck with just a piece of pasteboard.  Nothing more.

Bear collecting for value is just the same way.  A Bear is only worth what somebody is willing to pay.
That's why we collect because we love the Bear.  The money is only secondary.  Maybe not even third.

Ft.Lauderdale

Thankyou ALL so much! Was curious because the seller said these are numbered 1096 and 1097. But not sure out of how many? I myself tend to collect large or Huge bears, so I immediately fell in love with a  couple of Big realistic polar bears that I see on Ebay, but the seller wants $600 &  $650 each for them! Which of course I cannot afford bear_sad These two babies, ( not very big, but certainly not small ) I was able to get for $40 , I just LOVE them & am excited for their arrival!!!  bear_wub

I recently contacted a seller on a huge bear for the shipping cost, and the seller came back with an OUTRAGEOUS amount!! Yes the bear was really big, and I purchase big bears on Ebay & I know that shipping has gone up, but it was a bit ridiculous! So of course no sale was made. But then Luckily, another one popped up on Ebay and I was able to adopt her with reasonable shipping cost. So hopefully in the future these two particular polars will "pop" up again at a more reasonable price & I'll be able to adopt them.

So lesson learned!  Thank you all again! Much appreciated!!! bear_original

Ft.Lauderdale

Holy Cow..............Speediest shipping ever!!! They are home already & I ................LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!! Need just a bit of TLC ( A nice bath & nose restoration ) but other than that, just adorable!!! They have the most beautiful eye color too! I will not hesitate at all to buy more Vintage Avanti bears........Beautifully made & just precious!!! bear_wub

1366667765_002.jpg   1366667781_003.jpg

Hey Jane,

Congrats on aquiring a FineToy panda- they're getting hard to find. She's one of my favorite bears.
She'll be a much better cuddler if you carefully separate cubby from her, she can still hold him just fine if you sit him on her leg and tuck him into her arm.

Ft.Lauderdale

Hi Chris! How are you? Thanks so much!!! I absolutely LOVE HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Her fur is absolutely the softest fur I've ever felt on a manufactured bear!!!! I have 2 of these now, I tried recently to acquire another one, but like I said in the other post, the seller wanted way too much to ship..........$128 from California. She never relisted him. I was happy to get this gal with her baby! Will do that for sure! Baby needs a bit o' detailing too! How I wish these were still being made for the Costco company!!!  bear_original

Hi Jane!
It sure is a shame....when Fiesta killed the FineToy brand all those wonderful designs went away....aside from the panda and polar bear there was a big sitting raccoon based on the panda design, a grizzly bear twice the size of the panda, as well as three different versions of a very sweet lifesized laying raccoon.

Say, you wouldn't mind giving me the contact nfo of that seller if you have it? even at that price I wouldn't mind going after another.

*hugs*~BMB

Ft.Lauderdale

Hi Chris!  It is a shame! They are absolutely gorgeous bears!!!!!!!! Boy I'de love to see the grizzly by them! Or own it! Even better! One day hopefully! That's what I love about Ebay!  Here's the link to the seller
that was selling the Panda, he or she literally told me that it was almost to big to ship. But then he listed it again & it went unsold. At the time, I just couldn't afford it. Hope you have some luck with the seller and you'll be able to adopt her & her babies!   bear_original Great Big Bear Hugs !!!!  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … 1191132778

Well, here ya go Jane-

This is my beloved "Bruno"
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/ … /bruno.jpg
He's ultra rare,I believe they were only sold on the company website. i only have the one even though I've been looking for more for years :(

This is the raccoon they did
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/ … jasper.jpg
I'm lucky to have two, again, very rare.

here are a couple of huge polar bears they did, I think these were sold through costco as well, I pick up extras on ebay every now and again
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/ … /mogul.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/ … igsnow.jpg

Oh, and thanks for the info, I'll follow up on that....I doubt I'll pay what she's asking for shipping, since she's obviously "padding the bill"  but I'm a good sharp negotiator, after we get past the B.S. about the shipping I'm sure I can come up with an offer that will make her a profit.

Ft.Lauderdale

Chris............Your killin' me!!!!!!!!!!! Bruno is to die for!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Have to HAVE!!!!!!! bear_original All of them are just FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!! The polars are GREAT too!!! You just made me appreciate having the pandas even more!!! Fortune & her baby cookie are my Fav's in my hug right now, and hopefully I'll be able to come across more in the future on Ebay. I fleamarketed it today in this hot Florida sun, no luck with bears but got a really good sunburn! LOL!!!  I know you will be able to talk the seller into a good deal! She seams to be in excellent condition too!

Thanks so much for sharing your photo's!!! Gotta go wipe the drool off now!!! bear_original   Big bear Hugs!  Jane  bear_original

hey Jane....

here's some info for you-
I contacted the seller, she is still trying to sell the bear (has her listed on CL) but she didn't relist on ebay due to her account being suspended for nonpayment of fees. Apparently ditto for her PP account. (her ebay rating is 95% out of 150 transactions:  not stellar, mine is 100% out of 473 without breaking a sweat)

I may still take the risk of doing business, but I'm going to put the thumbscrews to this one, since the ball is very much in my court...payment will still be via paypal (by physical check) and I'm going to drive her way down on price....will let you know how this goes.

I did just strike a deal with a friend for one of the FineToy polar bears (go me!) for a decent price- not trying to poach your bears or anything, but if you ever want to trade a polar bear for a panda let me know!

Ft.Lauderdale

Hi Chris,

Ok, so that's why the insane shipping fee! Makes sense now. But that's her problem, she really shouldn't be charging the buyer/customer to make up for her not paying her Ebay fees, ya know? After hearing that I'de tread lightly! But hope all works out & you'll be able to get that bear home to you where she belongs!   bear_thumb

Thankyou for the offer to trade & will "absolutely" think about it! Just a tad attached to the pandas right now, They are my Fav's!!!!! Poach my bears, never crossed my mind! You're funny!!! bear_grin  Let me know what happens, in the meantime, should I come across any that I cannot afford, (hopefully I'll be able to afford!) I will email you right away!  Bear Hugs!!! Jane bear_original

LOL, yeah, the only reason I'm offering is that I have a polar bear still on her way in the mail to me, so I haven't gotten attached to her yet  ^.^

oh, I have to brag a bit about this- got a Douglas "Super Jake" on ebay for $62!!!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261206546081
Can't wait to hold him, DCT bears are wonderful bear_original

Ft.Lauderdale

That bear was on my watch list!!!! Love him!!!!!!! He's awesome!!! So happy he has a great new home!!! Enjoy him!!!!!!!! That was a great price!!! I recently adopted this big guy, he's a lying down bear, no tags look familiar to you? http://www.ebay.com/itm/300868050724?ss … 1439.l2649 & check out that price!!! Gotta love Ebay!!!  bear_original

It's scary how similar our tasts in bears are....I have that bear, he's a Krisha "Playful Plush". I've been trying to get a second one for years, I'm amazed I missed him!
I'd trade the FT polar bear for him in a heartbeat.

We should trade wish lists sometime, we could be on the lookout for each other.

Ft.Lauderdale

I just can't help it!!! I am hooked on the big bears!!!! I figure, I have a big enough house, so why not! Even if my place were small, it wouldn't stop me bear_original & Absolutely! Warning...........my list is long!!!!! bear_grin  I have my eye on a few right now, but really want this big guy in the future! Just LOVE THAT FACE & his whole personality that he's letting off! Wonderful!!!!
1367332264_kodiak_bear.jpg

Welcome to the dark side!  ;)

yup, that's the Manhattan Toy/ Carousel  "smoking grizzly"  I have two of these guys myself.....they've been making them off and on for 30 years. Last time I checked they were still available on the manhattan toy website, but at a very high price. They show up on ebay every now and then, and can be had for about $100 including shipping.

a word of warning though, the stuffing is awful, it's that horrible shredded yellow furniture foam, you'll want to restuff him, and it will be extremely messy (definitely do it outside)
I restuffed both of mine with hi loft fiberfill, and they are wonderfully cuddly.

Miser Miser Bears

Woah guys, check out this guy! Isnt he absalutley gorgeous If only I had a bigger house >_<

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/giant-gorgeou … 2a2c4d0714

$T2eC16V,!ygE9s7HI7S7BRf,VKS!Og~~60_12.JPG

Hi Heather, I have one of these giant E&J polar bears as well, I may have to try to get the seller to ship somehow if no one in the UK buys him.

Ft.Lauderdale

Will definately have to wait til I find him on Ebay, not paying $289, especially now knowing that he needs restuffing! But he's a HAVE TO HAVE for me!!!

Heather...............That bear is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gotta add that one to my wish list!!! Did ya catch that one Chris bear_happy Ok so that 2 that you know I want! bear_grin

Miser Miser Bears

I am so tempted to bid on him, but i would have to ask her for postage ( I imagine it will be a lot due to his size ) and well....I have no idea where in my tiny house I could put him  bear_wacko

Sure thing Jane, I'll watch out for a Manhattan Grizzly for you.....it's a shame though, I recently passed up two of them at decent prices on ebay, since I'm happy with the two I already have.
Won't be too long though before another one shows up, they're relatively common.

He really is worth the trouble of restuffing, btw, for such a gruff looking bear he has a surprisingly gentle feel to him.

Board footer