Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

This bear will be presented at next weekend's Teddybär Total show in Münster.

"The TEDDYBÄR TOTAL-visitors can look forward to another, very special highlight: an innovative teddy-robot. It was created by the bear maker Terumi Yoshikawa and the robot engineer Naoko Hikima. The robot named Ikuma is 50 centimeter tall and weighs 2.6 kilogram. It is composed of various high-tech-materials. The bear itself is made of mohair, acrylic, polyester and glass eyes. Ikuma can walk and perform various movement sequences. 20 servo motors make this possible. It is controlled via a programmable wireless controller, which has been designed specifically for the new robot teddy. The bear maker will introduce Ikuma on the TEDDYBÄR TOTAL at their booth with the number E-5. "

Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … JmWhrAxFGs

I would really like to hear what you think about it.  bear_thumb

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Ummm - guess it's very innovative, but I don't really see a valid use for Teddy robots.  At the beginning of the video, my thought was that it looked like a person in a bear suit moving around.  But it didn't take very long for the movements to become 'robotic' . . . stiff and programed.  I suppose it could function as a cute toy.

Janesjollybears JanesJollyBears
Ft.Lauderdale

Cute! I would definately buy that and put it amongst my "regular" bears soley to see the look on my dogs faces when it began to move! LOL!! They would hit the ceiling!!! bear_laugh

BlackmoonBear Sacred Bear Studios
Saint Petersburg, Florida

SueAnn,  actually there are several models of robotic interactive stuffed animals already in use as therapy tools for geriatric patients who can benefit from the constant physical interaction and company they provide.
there is even a large robotic teddy that takes your blood pressure and vital signs when you hug him!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Ah - didn't know that, Chris.  Well, guess there are some redeeming qualities about teddy robots.  Progress in science is rapidly speeding away from me, leaving me coughing in the dust!

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I bought my grand-daughter a puppy at Christmas that does all sorts of moves, barks, walks, wags its tail ...it was about £40 ...and it is, I think, more sophisticated in its mechanisms than this bear. So unfortunately I think this has been done many times before...maybe not as an artist bear design though. He does look a bit like a person dressed as a bear though...
I think it's a thing some collectors would love though.

allykat Fincastle Bears
Nürnberg

I am about to date myself big time. Also maybe offend everyone horribly with the following confession...

Until I decided I wanted to learn to make them, the only Teddy bear I cared about ever in my WHOLE LIFE was Teddy Ruxpin. Oh my God, I think Teddy was my first true love or something. I was NUTS about him. For that reason I am 100% supportive of robotic teddy bears.

I think a lot of it is WHY it's robotic, though. I don't care for things that just growl or whatever and I didn't when I was a kid, either. Teddy Ruxpin was pretty innovative at the time, and even in hindsight (and having recently gone on a trip down nostalgia lane thanks to Youtube's having the entire cartoon series uploaded...) I can honestly say that the stories attached to TR were pretty great. He wasn't just a story tellin' bear, he was a GOOD story tellin' bear.

Ok, I'm done with my barely related Teddy Ruxpin love fest. I think it's neat to see robotics combined with some of the more lovely teddy bear making techniques. I loved Ruxpin but he was somewhat less than lovely in reality. I have sometimes thought of making a (non robotic) tribute to him for myself, a little less boxy than the original.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

He's not very appealing to me, and I don't really grasp the meaning (?) of all of the movements.

On the other hand, he might be a lot of fun for kids to play with, or as Blackmoon mentions, as a therapy device.

Becky

Us Bears Pennsylvania

He knocked over his Bear brother.  How rude!
bear_happy  bear_happy

He's cute and I think the design is innovative but still in the Uncanny Valley.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley
This refers to a gap in credulity as mechanical things become more realistic and human-like.  Up to a point, we marvel at how real the animated Teddy Bear acts but, past a certain point, we are no longer amused and think he looks fake.  Basically the Bear is too real to be cute but not real enough to be believable.

I think his best moves are the "salute" and kicking the soccer ball.  His shuffling walk is kind of cute and Teddy Bear-like but still too mechanical looking.

I think this is a good start but it still needs work.
Probably some computer control to add a little artificial intelligence in his movement.  Possibly some inverse kinematics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse_kinematics

BeeBears BeeBears
Guben
Website

I will have a look on Ikuma, when I have a bit spare time in Münster.
The programming is more interessting for me and I am looking forward to see it in real life..

We just see it as a toy but Chris is right, there are several different types in the human care involved.
I have seen one which looked like a baby seal and it took all relevant vital sign of the person who gave it a cuddle.
If I had the choice between a normal blood pressure monitor or to cuddle a baby seal - I would take the seal  bear_thumb

customteddys Custom Teddys
Juneau, Alaska

I thought he was cute, too, but he wouldn't fit in too well in my house. All the teddies get up and play around at night when the humans are asleep and I fear he would be left in the dust.  bear_grin

Us Bears Pennsylvania

I know exactly what you mean! Every once in a while, I'll see a little, brown streak go zipping by, out of the corner of my eye.

Miser Miser Bears

My teds rampage around the house anyway! Personally, i think a robot teddy takes away a certain charm, not leaving much for the imagination to ponder over. Also, I cant imagine he would be very cuddly!

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

Thank you for all your comments.  :thumbsup:
I posted it here, because seeing the video made me feel a bit uncomfortable.
Apart from the comments of Chris about bears being used as therapy tools for geriatric patients (which I fully endorse), I really don't see the attraction for "arctophiles".
Remember that this bear will be presented at one of the largest teddy bear shows in Europe: so their target audience is clearly the teddy bear collectors.   :/

When I want my bears to move from the couch to the dining table to bed (which is what they do most  bear_laugh ), I will pick them up, give them a big hug, and take them myself.
Somehow this teddy doesn't seem to invite hugging.  :(

I will try to get a look at him tomorrow, but I doubt if I will steal my heart (as so many other teddies have done).  bear_happy

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Have a wonderful time at the show, Peter!

Becky

Fairybear Wagga Wagga

It's kinda cute, sort of like those "Fur Real Friends" they have - like the walking dog and pony but far more sophisticated.

Board footer