Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

SkaBeary Bears SkaBeary Bears
East Sussex
Website

I have decided on a name for my business creations.  I have called myself SkaBeary Bears - this is a collaboration of my initials and "bear" with a bit of a ring ....!
My 2nd bear is nearly finished BUT the head - I am terrified of the scissor sculpting.  I am so worried that I am gonna mess up.
This will be a 12" bear once the head is attached and I am really pleased with the way the torso has turned out.
I scissor sculpted the feet and appliqué'd the pads, i am actually quite pleased with the results for a first attempt at this, the first foot took me hours but the second was a lot quicker.  I did worry that I wouldn't get the same results for both feet though.  I have also cut the front part of the ears - again a bit of a build up to the face BUT the face is all I have left to do and am terrified of messing up the whole thing.
You are all probably going to agree that I am a bit potty using this type of fur (Husky) and attempting this type of sculpting this early on in my creations but I always start in the deep end and tread water towards the shallow - challenge is my middle name, but you may be right - has the head beaten me ....??? Nah, when I pluck up the courage to do something with it - we'll see ...!
Once the face & character appears, I will consider a name - for now my headless creation is yet to have identity!
I would really love your comments and any advice you can offer before I take the plunge.

1367988900_image.jpg
1367988926_image.jpg
1367988954_image.jpg

I have also added the first bear I made - this one was made from sparse mohair and although the same size looks a lot smaller because of the fur.  I actually love the cuddly, hairy bears more than the sparse ones - personal opinion!

1367988980_image.jpg

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Having used this fabric I know how hard it is to work with. One thing I will say is that as it's a knitted fabric you might find it stretches out of shape when you stuff..especially the head. I lined it with fusible cotton lining which stabilised it.

East Sussex
Website

Thanks Jenny, maybe i should get some of that then - i think I am going to need all the help I can get!!

Miser Miser Bears

If you have any bits of fabric left over, you could practice trimming it, just to get a feel of how it feels

East Sussex
Website

Thanks - I have tried that but because it is not padded it does not have the same "response".  Bull by the horns moment I think!

East Sussex
Website

1368041610_image.jpg
1368041651_image.jpg

OMG! I am not sure about this - thinks I am just about to cock it up .....!!!!!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I'd go ahead and clear places for the eyes and nose at this point and finish those. Once you have those features installed, you'll be sculpting a real face and watching as the bear's personality emerges. (That might make you bolder. bear_original )

Becky

East Sussex
Website

I am waiting for some new eyes to arrive, I only have 9 and 10s and they look too small so have ordered 12/14/16 to test which one.  I am thinking about making a polymer clay nose too (that will be a first too) so have decided not to do anything until those are ready.  Thank you for your advice as soon as I make a move on the face I will post some more photos, I am not sure i will become bolder until I have been doing it for years though .... Lol  bear_grin

East Sussex
Website

Eyes in, face sculpted (to a degree).  Nose and ears are yet to be placed.  This has taken me about 2 hours to do and i have a few more grey hairs. I think it is beginning to come together a little bit better than I thought though.  I think the ears are going to be too small though, i am rethinking them, and then to sew or clay the nose - ????

1368134494_image.jpg

Board footer