Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Bears N Blooms Bears N Blooms
California

Hello Friends!

Please meet Tillie. She is my first attempt at making a mohair bear and I am giving her to my Mom as a Mother's day gift. I was sweating bullets but she turned out ok. I wrote down some things I need to work on for the next bear. I also do not like the sparse mohair but that is what they sent me with the kit. I tend to like more fur for the type of bears I create.  I have ordered my some more mohair and I have created my own pattern for all my future bears.

She is about 4" inches sitting and 7" inches long. Her face and paws are needle felted, she is 5-way cotter pin jointed and weighted with steel shot. I dyed the mohair myself -I created  a mottled affect with the color so you will notice shade variances. Her flowers are wet felted accented with pearls. Her collar is made of vintage cotton lace. I wanted to dress her differently but I simply ran out of time.

I hope she puts a smile on you face. :)

1368379335_tillie.jpg

California

Thank you Pink. bear_flower I don't mind the sparse mohair but it doesn't work for the look I am after. I really wanted a more fluffy bear. This was a good learning experience before dabbling into more expensive fur. I had fun doing it and I learned so much. I did take notes so I know what to watch for on the next bear.  I love the combination of sewing and felting!

To think, I have had this kit for over a year and I never wanted to start it because I was afraid of cotter pins. The cotter pins were the least of my worries and were actually easy to install. I learned to never let fear get in the way of creativity!

LittleButtonMeadow Button Meadow Bears
Devon
Website

Oh wow! What a beautiful bear. Make more, she is fab! Xx

California

Thank you Helen. That is a very sweet thing to say. I appreciate your comment, especially coming from a master bear crafter as yourself!  :love:

I have more on the way but a bit larger.  bear_thumb

Caroline D Posts: 150
Website

Such a gorgeous colour! I'm sure your mum loved her. I've yet to venture into mohair, not ready yet bear_cry

Caroline

SkaBeary Bears SkaBeary Bears
East Sussex
Website

Tillie is lovely, I don't really like sparse mohair either but, as you, I am learning and find the sparse better to work with than the longer hair.  Although the long hair looked great for the arms legs and body of the bear I was working on, I do not really like the face - scissor sculpturing needs a little more practice I think.  I am sure your mother was thrilled - well done!

Shani x

California

Thank you for the comments. Yes, my mom loved her and she wants me to make another one!

I got this bear as a kit but in my usual fashion, I changed a few things but since I was lacking time, I couldn't change a lot. I had no choice in the mohair that I got, so sparse it is! I am also addicted to dying fabric. I dyed Tillie in violet and I had another dying session last night with 3 other colors. LOL

I say do what you are comfortable with, Caroline. I tend to just jump in so I tried the mohair. I have since created my own pattern and I am working with a longer mohair bear now.  I find that the sparse was much harder to work with. This particular fur is so thin it wants to go in all different directions, especially around the seams.  I don't know, it just seems more fiddly to work with and it doesn't fluff up the way I need it to. I am having less issues with the long pile but I can imagine the scissor sculpting around the face can be challenging.

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

Wow! You need to make more x

customteddys Custom Teddys
Juneau, Alaska

Yes, she made me smile. I know what you mean about the sparser mohairs. I love working with a full, thick pile for the smaller bears. It gives them a lot of character. This little one you made is precious! I'm sure your Mom fell in love instantly  bear_wub

Board footer