Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Deb Upstate New York

Somehow, don't ask how cuz I don't know ... but somehow the upstairs studio project has tricked down the stairs. 

Last week we had the hall carpeting and the hardwood floor that was in the entrance ripped out and put down 3/4" hardwood (oak, 2-1/4" planks).  The wood that was there was wide and very light and we just didn't like it.  Could have refinished and stained it ... but what are the chances it would have then matched the hall.

ANYWAY ... now Dave wants to do the bedrooms.  I found some engineered hardwood that is nearly identical in color to what we just put in the hall and am thinking of putting that in the bedrooms BECAUSE although the cost of the flooring is about the same (in the ballpark), I could save a small fortune in labor because engineered flooring we can install.

From all I've read, a good engineered hardwood flooring even out performs hardwood, and finish guarantees are excellent.  My thinking is the bedrooms aren't high traffic areas, and theoretically, I shouldn't EVER have to have them refinished, and therefore, don't need to put down regular 3/4".

What's your experience with the engineered stuff?

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I like my wall to wall carpet... the dust bunnies don't roll all over the place!!! In fact, I don't even see 'em so it must be really clean under the bed even tho' I haven't vacuumed under there since.........   bear_tongue

Sorry, Debbie Dear... I'm no help!

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Deb. I'm  not sure what you mean by engineered hardwood - is that what Canadians call laminate like Pergo?  If it is it's great.  We did our main floor a couple of years ago and I love it.  It stands up really well. 

Hugs,

Brenda

Meri Bears (UK) West Sussex, England

Hi Deb

You are usually onto a winner with engineered wood. It is also known as real wood in the UK. My husband and I have a Wood flooring business and engineered wood is extremely popular for it's finish and cost compared to soild wood.

Engineered Board is a flooring product manufactured with real wood and gives the finished effect of a solid wood floor.
The board is made up of 3 main parts:

1. Hardwood surface layer (approx 3.6-4mm, products vary) coated with multi-layers of high quality finish (usually acrylic or similar lacquer)
2. Middle or core layer (usually hardwood, or occasionally softwood, products vary)
3. Base veneer (usually plywood)

Engineered boards are hardwearing and depending on the product specifications may also be sanded and re-sealed up to 2 or 3 times if required, in the same way as a solid wood floor. 

The chances of you wearing through the top layer of wood when the product is installed in a home are very unlikely.

We have installed it through most of our home now, except the bedrooms and I love it.

Hope this helps witha little extra info

:hug:

Deb Upstate New York

KATE ~  Whoohoo!  Thank you SO much! :dance:  :hug: 

It amazes me how sometimes how you might just take a chance posting something here, but SOMEONE always has the answer.  Love it.  Actually the cost to purchase is about the same as the 3/4" solid hardwood we purchased.  But installation cost of the hardwood is very high, and would be a killer.  I (we) can install the engineered (floating style) myself and save a bunch.

BRENDA ~  Pergo is a brand of laminate flooring that isn't real wood at all ... normally.  They do, however, have a small line of engineered flooring.  The only place I've seen it is at Lowe's Home Improvement, so I'm wondering if they make it only for Lowe's.  Hmm?

DAPHNE ~ Hubby has bad allergies and asthma.  No matter how much I clean, stuff gets trapped in the carpet and won't come out.  I have to (unfortunately) SEE my dirt.
bear_sad

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

I love the wood floors too. We had just done our bedroom in our old house before we moved. we really want to do it in our new house soon. Like yours Deb my husband has a terrible time with carpet, plus with the pets I am vaccuuming all the time. what a pain.
kathy

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Thanks for the explanation, guys -  you're right Deb, we should soon all be geniuses as we all know a bit about everything LOL!  I didn't know about engineered hardwood.  We put Pergo down a couple of years ago, because we knew we were going to be moving and didn't want to sink a bundle into this house, and we could lay it ourselves.  Didn't know there was another option!

Hugs,

Brenda

Board footer