Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Caroline D Posts: 150
Website

This is Bork. So called because he didn't really turn out quite right. But he's quite cute, and my first proper attempt at a real fur bear. He's made from a Bisam mink (musquash) coat I bought from ebay. He looks better than he feels, I didn't quite get the neck joint in right and it feels bumpy at the top of his body,  and his head wobbles more than it should, plus it's kind of tipped back. But I quite like the way his pads turned out, tried painting them on with markers for the first time. But the markers also seemed to make his ears feel kind of frizzy, not sure why. Also my first attempt deep muzzle trimming and that didn't come out as smooth as I'd like, couldn't seem to get rid of the  choppiness texture and I didn't want to trim him down to nothing!  Anyway, it's all about learning.
1373089612_bork_1.jpg

1373089635_bork_2.jpg

1373089653_bork_3.jpg

Caroline

customteddys Custom Teddys
Juneau, Alaska

Bork... what a cute name for a cute bear and as your first attempt working with real fur. I am impressed. Real fur takes time to master.. The choppiness happens with real fur and takes time and practice. Thanks for sharing!! bear_wub

student bearmaker Northern Ireland

I think he's great,lovely feet and such a sweet expression and I bet he feels silky soft.
I have only made 6 bears so far in mohair and alpaca and I struggle with scissor sculpting but I found this video link on Ebearz helpful http://www.ebearz.com/Agora/tiki-downlo … p?fileId=8
Symmetry is my problem but I find a small eyebrow razor useful to skim the ends with for a smoother finish and it is easier to control the amount removed.
I have my late mother-in-law's mink jacket but I need loads more bear making experience before I would be confident enough to cut it up.
Remember the saying " success teaches you nothing"!
Well done you  bear_thumb .

Fairybear Wagga Wagga

bear_laugh love the name  bear_wub  the bear!

Board footer