Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

The receptionist at my work has an old teddy that she got as a baby.
She kept telling me how it had no eyes, so I offered to put new ones in. When she brought the teddy to work I was in love! I've never seen such a well loved bear before. I only hope one day some of mine look like that.  bear_rolleyes

But this poor thing needs some work, so I offered to do the eyes for free, or charge her to give the bear a day at the spa, and restore him. With the help of Donna, I felt I was able to tackle this job, concidering the bear is only about 55 yrs old.

So here is what she wrote me in response to my offer, ( keep in mind, I felt very weird charging her, but hate to do soo much work for free )

Sounds & looks like my Pooh bear is having a great time – sure hope I can convince him to come home eventually!   He’s been my bestest friend throughout the years, comforted me when I’d cry, listened to all my girly problems – he gives such great hugs.

How can I not give him back a full life in which he can see me again (& all his new buddies at your house – you included), be able to walk comfortably on new foot pads, lick honey from new paws?   He so deserves to have a makeover by the loving teddy bear creator that you are. 

Yes, let’s go for the whole package!  But don’t touch the stitches on his back please – my Mom sewed him up after my brother operated on him – guess he was sick – Pooh that is, then again guess my brother was a little sick operating on a bear without consent!   Any how Mom won’t be sewing ever again now that she’s sick – so I want/need to preserve those loving stitches of hers.

How sweet is that?? Makes me really love the fact that I make bears...........

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Heather, what a lovely note - doesn't that make your day!  I also hope that some of the babies I have made. give someone that kind of comfort.  Post a picture of him when he's done, so teddy can make his "new" debut - I'd love to see him.  Antiques bears are sooooo incredibly wonderful.

Hugs,

Brenda

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Heather,  bear_flower
Notes like that really tug and the heartstrings when they are so heartfelt.  Thank you for sharing it with us.

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

newbearland Christchurch, New Zealand

Heather that is so lovely - I would also love to see a photo (before and after the 'spa treatments' would be neat....but I realise maybe he is already part way through his make over)

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

Ohhh...that really does pull the heartstrings, doesn't it?  How wonderful that she has that bear............and how wonderful that you are now a part of Pooh's history Heather!   bear_wub

The story reminds me of a bear my mom has had since she was little.  He's in pretty sorry shape, but she loves him how he is.  He does still have his sight though, since mom gave him new eyes when she was still a kid.  They're mismatched buttons and a bit loose, but hey.. he can see!

bear_wub
Tracy

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Heather,
That is such a nice note from your co-worker.  When you do repairs or make a bear for someone out of grandma's old coat you are entering their lives in a way that changes you and makes you a better bearsmith.  I think it does something to your soul that is then passed on to your bears.  I know you will do a great job and your co-worker will be thrilled.  Have you ordered your eyes?  They were probably amber in color.  Does your co-worker have a picture of the bear in it's early days?  It might be good for you to see a picture of it before it was so loved.  Will this bear be passed down to the next generation?  Get a good picture before you start work and then one when you are finished.  I find the people enjoy having these.
Bear Hugs,
Donna

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

What a nice note!  Thanks for sharing it with us.   bear_original

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

That's why bears are so important in people's lives!!!!  They are simply our oldest and dearest friends..... bear_wub

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Oh what a sweet letter, sounds like a sweet gal!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Good Job!  You got to share a special moment with this lovely lady.  And her trust in you is outstanding.  I am glad that you are having this opportunity to pass along the true spirit of bearing.  And I thank you for sharing it with us.

dilu

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Heather what a very sweet note and thanks so much for sharing it with us.

hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Heather that's one to keep, the message that is not the bear. I would feel privileged to be able to help someone who loved their bear so much. How lovely to be appreciated for what you could do for the bear. Great, thanks for sharing with us.

hugs Jane  bear_flower

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Isn't that a wonderful letter.  It dooes show how special these bears are.  Love comes wrapped in all kinds of packages.

Heather, it's moments like this, with that letter, that are the most rewarding part of the bear biz.

I am going to quote Dr. Wayne Dyer again.  He says that if someone gave you $10.00 or a compliment.....ten years from now you would forget the ten bucks but you will always remember the compliment.  Words are very powerful.

Deb Upstate New York
psichick78 wrote:

How sweet is that?? Makes me really love the fact that I make bears...........

Sniffle, sniffle ... please pass the tissues ....

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

Now that is a Scrap book page waiting to happen.! What a nice letter and what great compliment to you!!! :hug:  bear_wub

nettie scotland
Website

That really was quite touching!!
I once stayed in a boarding house in Islington while doing a bear show in London.The landlady said we could stay for free if I could mend her baby.I took baby home (a chiltern hugmee) and patched him up for he.She was really pleased.
I didn't mention the fact that Baby had to go in the freezer for a week to kill his bugs!!!!

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

Heather - that is so sweet. I hope you get it framed with before and after pics for your bear room.
   :clap:
Marion

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thanks guys. It's fun to share moments like these with people who can really appreciate it.

I did take a before picture, and will take an after picture. I'm also trying to dig up info on this bear, as a suprise for her.

Donna, thanks for the eye color info. Just what I was wondering. Girl, you know your stuff!

I gave him a bath yesterday, with suds only. Boy, does that work well! Put suds on the bear, gently rub, then follow with a clean damp cloth. Amazing how much cleaner he looks.

I have to admit this is soo much fun.

I'll keep you guys posted,

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original  Heather, what a wonderful story! I'm so glad you shared it!

bear_laugh  I love your story too, Nettie--does the bear come out of the freezer in a bag full of bugs, or just full of dead bugs?

Eileen

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

I once stayed in a boarding house in Islington while doing a bear show in London..................I didn't mention the fact that Baby had to go in the freezer for a week to kill his bugs!!!!

Now Nettie, this is the second time you have dissed London, my home town and not only that, Islington is the borough i was born in - are you saying London is flea ridden?
bear_laugh   bear_tongue   bear_grin

Penny - the London fleabag  bear_wacko

Board footer