Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Deb Upstate New York

Anyone know what, if any, differences there are between the "academic" and "commercial" version of Dreamweaver 8, other than about $200?

If none, I may send my son up to his college bookstore!

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

Usually the academic and commercial versions are the same. They sell it cheaper to students and teachers, etc.
Is Dreamweaver a photo program?

Marion

Deb Upstate New York

Nope; it's web development.  bear_happy

It didn't sound like any difference, but thought I'd check.  You ladies (and gents) know everything!  The college bookstore has it in stock, so will have one of the kids pick up a copy.  Probably be outdated by the time I get around to installing and using it though!

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Hi Deb,

Academic and commercial versions are usually the exact same product.  Sometimes there are restrictions such as 'no upgrade pricing' or 'no technical support' with an academic version.  But the big difference is that any academic version of software is technically intended only for teachers and students, and usually specifies "educational use only".  The catch there is that it is only supposed to be used for learning, while commercial use of the product tends to be prohibited.  I checked Macromedia's site (the maker of Dreamweaver), here is their info on the subject:

http://www.macromedia.com/resources/education/store/

Hope this helps?
Kelly

Deb Upstate New York

Thanks Kelly.  Actually I found a used copy of the academic version, that can't be regisitered.  It's not what they wanted and are selling it!  I won't be able to get upgrades anyway but at a steal, I don't really care.  bear_grin

Board footer