Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

SilverClaw Posts: 39
Website

Hi there

In the near future I will be embarking on my first (of many I hope) artist bear and after some research on my own I've come across some questions I can't find answers to.

I've come to artist bears with a background in animal Art Dolls and experience in plush toys and clothing and so I'm confident enough to draft my own pattern. The finished bear will look something like this in its shape. 4r49wn.jpg

I was basically wondering what type of joints would work best for a bear of this size? I was hoping to use cotterpin joints but was unsure of the size/sizes I would need and also if they would be suitable for a bear this size.

I'm also a little confused as to how to use the cotterpins, do I need any specific tools? I have some tools from jewellery making and I am an artist so I have lots of various implements lying around. The sort of tightness I'm looking for is similar to those on Charlie Bears, sort of floppy but able to sit. I would also like the head to be somewhat floppy, which I think I would need to use a wobble joint for?

Should I invest in some doll needles for the eyes and needle sculpting?

When weighting the bear, how heavy should I be looking at? I definitely want the bear to have a better "feel" to it but was unsure how much of the weighting pellets to buy.

And finally, is there any books you could recommend? I;m looking for a general sort of book with techniques and tips rather that one with prescribed patterns.

Thanks in advance and sorry if I've repeated anything thats been asked several times over.

Miser Miser Bears

All questions are welcome here! There are several types of joints you can use, my favorite are the plastic safety joints because they are so easy to use! The cotter pins can be tricky but a happy medium are the nut and bolt joints like these:

https://www.mohairbearmakingsupplies.co … olt-joints

For glass eyes I have to use a really long doll needle to get through the thickness of the head. I love my pair of surgical scissors too, they are really sharp and have pointed ends which is great for cutting through fabric and sculpting fur. The weighting i use steel shot its pretty cheap and does the job just fine although one word of warning, if you spill the bag onto a wooden floor you will never recover them all, they bounce everywhere!!   bear_wacko

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Cotter pin joints can certainly give you the looseness you want, and I wouldn't use anything different for the head unless you want it to REALLY wobble. I use needle-nose pliers to turn down the sides of the pin. The trick with cotter pins--and this takes some practice--is getting all of them anywhere near the same degree of tightness. The nuts and bolts give you much more control, but you do need socket wrenches for those.

In the library here, you can find lots of archived posts on jointing. I'd also recommend this (or a similar) book before you get started: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/310788672970?lpid=82

Your drawing looks adorable, by the way!

Becky

Website

Thanks Heather and Becky.

I will definitely be investing in some long doll needles and possibly some surgical scissors. Is there a particular brand or size you would recommend?

And thanks for the link to the book. I will definitely look into getting it. Does anyone have any experiences of this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Teddy-Bear-Stud … gy_b_img_z

and Becky, thank you for the cdrawig compliment, i drew it quite quickly, just to give people an idea of what sort of shape i will be aiming at

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Ted Menten's book is one of the most recommended favorites. It should give you all of the basics plus good design strategies.

Feel free to ask more questions as you go. bear_original

Becky

Website

I've got both books on order now, to arrrive on monday. I got so excited I paid for the one day delivery option so it should come on monday.
I can't wait to get started and I will definitely keep you guys posted on my progress.

Miser Miser Bears

I see from your facebook page you are no stranger to crafting things! I look forward to seeing your progress  bear_grin

Boogaloo Bears Boogaloo Bears
united kingdom

Hi and welcome

I can't wait to see your bears! You will make loads of great friends here,  everyone is like a big family of bear nuts! bear_whistle

Hugs
Lisa x

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Cotter pin joints will indeed give you that floppy feel, but on a bear that size may become *too* floppy over time... I'd go for bolt joints on a bear that large, knowing that once you tighten them, that's how they will stay- just don't tighten them fully, leave them a touch on the loose side. Bolts give you so much control. If you're using cotter pins tho ( I'd still use them in the head ) you can use pliers to turn them ( I much prefer pliers to the special turner tools, I could never get those to work! Lol)
   For weighting, that's personal choice- some artists make their bears massively heavy... You're best to order some and see how it feels when you put it in your bear;)
     Needles are so handy you're Never going to regret buying a large assortment- and best of all they aren't expensive!:)  a good long sturdy needle makes sculpting and eye setting *so* much simpler, and on that big bear, you will be sure to need a really long needle to get through that head!:)
     Enjoy your experimenting and I look forward to seeing your results! Good luck:)

Website

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. My books arrived yesterday and they were exactly what I needed, a practical guide to techniques and handy hints and tips about designing a teddy pattern.

I've got a couple of other art projects to finish up, a chihuahua art doll, another art doll and two cloaks, but then I will be able to get to work on the teddy bears. I cant wait.

Board footer