Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Mimzy5edit.jpg

With revisions of course..... they want the belly button to be bolder for instance.
He's going to email me later today with rest of the revisions.

Both bunnies I've made have been taken to give to Rhiannon Leigh Wryn who will be playing the role of the 5 yr. old girl. She gets to keep them. Sorry, Brenda!!

Although I like the first one as it's more of an artist bear in my opinion, the second one goes together so much quicker, the material I can get locally and I'll be a lot less challenged by the whole thing.

I want to make more of the first bunny..... in alpaca.... with eyes set MY way, etc. So if any one wants MY interpretation of Mimzy order now!!! I already have a list if you can believe it!! Mom is at the top as that was her favorite!! Guess the Easter Bunny will have no problem filling Easter baskets this year!!!

Thank you all once again for going through this process with me! It's been fun to share it with you!! We're not done yet so I'll continue to give you updates until you tell me to 'STOP ALREADY'!!!!

:hug:
Daphne

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Yeah - well done Daphne  bear_thumb

You can rest a bit now, kick your shoes off, have a nap, possibly a glass of something..........then get going on all those orders you have for Mimzy!!!!!!!!

Penny  bear_flower

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Very cute and an excellent choice, methinks.

How many do you have to create for the movie?

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

I am so proud of you Daphne! Do you realize your bear will be in a movie? Millions of people will wtch him and lots will say: we want the same bunny!!!!!!

:dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Hey, I think I have another half yard of that brown synthetic if you need it for all those orders  bear_grin

Lucky little girl to get both original bunnies! 
Cheers,
Kelly

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:clap:  :clap: Congratulations Mimsy II  :clap:  :clap:   It does rather fit the bill better, as it looks more of a 'toy' than Mimsy I....but I still think both buns are adorable!!  What a lucky little girl to get both buns as a momento of the movie  bear_wub   Being a five year old, I'm sure your bunnies will not lack for love  bear_wub

It does sound like you'll be a busy little bear ..or is that bunny?.. maker for the next few months  bear_grin   Yes yes, updates PLEASE!!!!  bear_grin

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Big, huge congrats, Daphne . . . I think they made the right choice for the movie prop.  I really liked the other one, too, but it did look more complicated.  You're in the big time now, my friend . . . that is soooooooooo COOL!!!

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

Glad they choose MimsyII for the movie - she/he/it does look more like a child's toy! I sure both will be treasured by the actress. bear_wub

Marion

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Daphne

wow - can you really believe that your little bunny is going to be stealing hearts on the big screen???? That's great.  I'm so glad that the slightly easier option is happening for you.  I love both Mimsy's but this one does really look like a bunny that could go through everything with a kid.

I think you'll enjoy bunny number one when you get to play around with it on your terms and change things to your own specifications.

Penny's right - kick back for a while and look after yourself!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

:dance:  bear_flower  YES!

Absolutely the right choice--both bunnies are gorgeous, but I think MimzyII has the magical-toy look. Mimsy I already looks alive!

Thanks for sharing all this excitement with us, Daphne.  :hug:

Eileen

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

The reality of all this has not sunk in yet.
I'm not quite comprehending that the bunny I make will be in a movie for the world to see.

My sweet husband, who has heard all of my negative thoughts about my bears and work, all the times I've said I'm going to quit doing this.... all the shows I've come home from, disappointed in sales, and my on going gripes about being at home ALL THE TIME gave me the "I told you so!" "Isn't it all worth it now?" speech. But he pointed out that my website, photos, putting myself 'out there' and continuing to pursue my dreams are what brought me to this point. That not giving up can really pay off. He's right.

I'm not going to brag about my bear making skills or popularity in the bear world as I know my work leaves a lot of room for improvement and prior to Teddy Talk I kept to myself, doing shows was about it for contact with the bear industry. I think in this instance I was simply in the right place at the right time with the right look. Had the Prop Master been more knowledgeable of the bear industry and all of the talented artists out there I know for certain he would have picked someone else.

So, I'm not sure the reality of this amazing opportunity will ever sink in completely. Maybe sometime in 2007 when the movie comes out and is a hit and I can say to someone I over hear talking about the movie at the grocery store that I made Mimzy... then MAYBE it'll sink it!

The moral to my story...... ..Don't give up!!!! The bear industry is up and down, often it gets discouraging. But persevere!!! Not everyone will get this opportunity but you WILL reap the rewards you deserve for your work in one way or another.

Daphne

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Daphne, I am so happy for you! I loved both Mimzy's But I do think this one looks RIGHT for the movie. If you are serious about a list, I would love to order one. Add me to your list.
Sonya

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Daphne we are all so proud of you and love the winning Mimsy 11 - so very cute. The other was
equally cute and how lucky the little girl is to be the owner of such wonderful creations.
Hope that you can now relax a little as it has been a very stressful few weeks for you.
Thanks for sharing the tale of the Mimsy Bunnies we have enjoyed it so much.

Hugs
Carolyn

bear_flower

lbbears Wind Lake. Wisconsin

Absolutely the right choice--both bunnies are gorgeous, but I think MimzyII has the magical-toy look. Mimsy I already looks alive!

I agree with Eileen.  I loved them both, but MimzyII really caught my eye.  She looks like a  magical bunny a child would carry around everywhere, could not go to sleep without, etc  and kept with her to show her children. 

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:
Laurie

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Daphne, we will all be waiting impatiently for the movie to come to the box office and then we'll all be standing in line (and we are not even movie goers LOL).  Inside the theatre, the ushers will have to ask us to stop chattering as we point to the screen and say "I saw Mimzy when she was being born"! 

I googled the movie and found a picture of the little girl who was cast in the movie and she is adorable.  She will look absolutely perfect with Mimzy, even though we all know that Mimzy is the star! 

Hugs,

Brenda

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Ahhh there's our Daph, making her mark in the movies!  Congrats you incredable thing you!

I love the bunnies and am glad they choose the easier one since you aparently have to do several.....

We are all so very proud of you!  And so Happy for you! 

:hug:  :hug:  bear_wub

dilu

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Daphne... good for you I am so happy for you.
How marvellous.
Can't wait till the movie comes out!

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

Daphne, I'm so pleased for you! And I'm happy for you that they've chosen the easier one! Thank you so much for sharing this with us. It's been a lot of fun. I've told several people I know about your movie-bunny! I'm truly excited for you. And please do continue to share the process!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Yup... gotta do 6 more... that's the magic number.

But as I got the preliminary list of changes it's not going to be easy after all as they now want the white parts not painted but separate insets of white fur. I can't find that shaggy felt in white around here. Never mind all the extra time it takes to do the inserts... they are all curvy pieces that have to be sewn by hand. Sorry but this is really becoming more of a head ache then it's worth. Perhaps I should stop sharing all the nasty details at this point before I have you all hating the movie.

Oh and a credit line in the movie... it's up to the producer, there are no guaruntees. He didn't sound too encouraging though.

I have absolutely no rights to ANYTHING ever, other than the checks they send for the bunnies I make.

Not sure if I'm getting the raw end of this deal or not.......

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

http://www.kuninfelt.com/wheretobuy/index.htm

I am unsure whether this may be of any assistance to you..... but Ihope it can head you in the right direction.

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

I liked that Bunny best too!  It looked more like a childs toy and I could imagine it being carried around everywhere.  How totally exciting for you Daphne!!  You have so much work ahead of you!!!  And orders on top of it  :clap:  yipee  :dance:   Your hubby is so right!!!  Dreams are there for a reason..you just have to follow them  bear_wub   You are and will be a star dear Daphne and I hope you revel in every minute of it  :dance:  :dance:  Thanks for letting us come alone for the ride   bear_flower
Big Hug Sarah :hug:

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Daphne, I love both of the bunnies but I can see why they have chosen Mimzy number two. It looks more like a lovable toy bunny and his features will show up so well in the film. I can see it now, lots of Mimzy things in the shop when the film comes out and reproductions of your bunnie everywhere. Yay! girl your bunnie will be famous and we can boast that we now the very clever lady who made the original. Now how cool is that!

Hooray for daphne and Mimzy the famous to be pair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hugs Jane.  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

lovely Daff

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Sonya - Just to be clear, it's Bunny 1 who didn't NOT get selected to be in the movie that I'm going to be maaking some more of. I can't make and sell any of the bunny they chose for the movie as I must respect the copyright laws... I'd want someone to do the same for me. Just let me know that you want one of the furry Bunny 1.

Bronwen - Thanks! That is the company that supplies these parts with shaggy felt and they are even in the same state that I live in. However, the stores that carry their plush felt seem to be out of white or don't carry white and the company doesn't sell at retail directly. I don't need a whole bolt of it either so can't even do a wholesale order thru them. I'm going to keep searching for a store that has it though. There must be someone.

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Hi Daphne,

I think it's awesome that a Backroad Bunny is going to be in the on the silver screen! :dance: How great for you! You're very modest, but you are very talented and hardworking and you deserve this!! :clap:  Truly! (I meand the good stuff of course, not the headaches! bear_rolleyes )
Even if you don't have rights to the bunny, surely you can put a plug on your website about one of your creations being in the movies?

And, hey, if these bunnies are going to be more work than originally agreed upon, tell them you need more money for them! Sewing on all those pieces is a lot more work as opposed to painting them.

I'm sorry I can't help with the material, I wish I could. bear_sad

Hang in there! You may be feeling frustrated now but when they're all done, you'll be glad! I wish I could help! :hug:

hugs,

Board footer