Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I didn't want this to get buried in the NEW AVATARS thread that Judi wrote elsewhere, so I've copied and pasted a portion of my last post there, here, for your review.

What do you think?  I'm proposing something verrrrrrrrrrrry casual, with no prizes, no favorites!, hopefully no one posting, "This one sucks; that one rules!" about the outcomes ... just something fun that we photo-editing tinkerers can play around with.  And maybe something to inspire those among you who've been wanting to take the plunge but have yet to get your feet wet in a photo editing exercise of your own!

Thoughts, people???

I'm away for the next day or so; will check into your replies when I return.

-----------------------------------------------------------

We should have an exercise like they do in the scrapbook magazines.  Start everyone off with the very same image, and some digital elements like bows or stripes, and a palette of colors, and then see what everyone comes up with!  I wouldn't want it to be a contest or a competition, or in any way something that pits one person against another, or results in people saying, "I like HERS better than HIS," etc.  But it might be a fun exercise, since it is so much fun to play around with these things (avatar designs), and check out all the new ones.    I know Penny, Julia, Sonya, and Hayley, off the top of my head, are tinkering a bit with one photo editing program or another.

Let me know if there's any interest in this and I can maybe throw together a fun little exercise for us to play around with, and then share results!

beartoes Hannabears
Texas

Shelli, this sounds very intriguing and if participating in an exercise like this would help me learn how to dress up my painfully plain avatar (I just finished changing photos on mine but it's still glaringly lacking in imagination), I love the idea!!

Karen Cwayna ~ Hannabears

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

I have my computer reved and ready to go, Shelli!

I want to learn some of this soooooo bad.  I really think I could have a fun time, if I just knew how to get started....i.e. what size to make it, brushes etc.

Nancy

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Oh, I just posted in Judis thread..

Yes, I'm in!!

I would love to try!!

Julia :hug:  :hug:  :dance:

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Well, I'll try-we all know that I have no problem looking goofy and sharing the good...the bad....and the ugly....woo hoo.

But I haven't a clue how to start.......sigh

find a book...read.....sheesh.....gurgle  gurgle gurgle.....treading water here!  bear_grin

dilu

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Count me in Shelli, it would force me to start using my new Photo Elements program
Hugs
Gail

Lhearn Critters Creations
Alberta
Website

Shelli,  I would love to do what you all are doing with you pics.  How much experience do you have to have to join in?  I am down loading photoshop elements 4 trial run to see if I like it for a month. bear_ermm

Lynn

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Can we ask for help anywhere?
Or is this something we hav to figure out for ourselves? Because i am absolutely terrible  bear_rolleyes

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Shelli! That is the most awesome offer! I have photo elements 3 and can edit a picture for clarity and over all looks but I don't even know how to put a frame on!! I have this wonderful program and no idea how to use it. I would love to learn more!!! Thank you!!

Many Hugs Louise

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Me too! count me in
Sonya

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Just posted on the other thread Shelli and would love to join in bear_original  Think it will be lots of fun :dance:
xo Sarah

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Sounds good to me Shelli. I'll join in the fun. When do we get started?

Hugs Jane  bear_flower

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original  Me too! (Jumping up and down, at least in spirit!) I'd love to learn more about this stuff.  bear_wacko

Eileen

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

I would love to but i wouldn't know how

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

I'd love to try too!

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

Me too! On a post awhile ago, Penny commented that her photo program made her lose the will to live bear_grin  bear_grin  and that is exactly the way that I feel!
Now look at her go, Penny your avatars are awesome! Maybe if I was forced to use it I could muddle through.

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Shelli, Me Too, I think it would be good for all of us to give it a go at least. Where and When??  Hugs Rita xxx

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I need to learn more too!!! like how to get rid of a background and put a new one in!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Sounds like  great idea.  I will enjoy seeing what you all come up with ...I'm not even going there myslef...toooooo many bears waiting to be born for me right now.

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

bear_rolleyes Shelli must have been thinking about me, as she knows if anyone needs HELP it is me, so I will get involved time permitting.
Japan show is around the corner and bears have to be finished.

bear_original
Lynette

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Sounds interesting. I'm in.

Estelle Estelles canal bears and Tod Teddies
Todmorden West Yorkshire

sounds like fun  I'll have a go  bear_original

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

This does sound like fun. I'll give it a go too. I need to work on this sort of thing anyway! bear_thumb

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hi all; just back from San Francisco.  I'm delighted to see so much interest in what I hope will be a fun little exercise.  If you're like me (and Penny, and Hayley, and Lisa, and so many other people!) you'll probably find that once you begin to play around with your photo editing program, it's hard to stop.

I was imagining this as more a do-it-yourself project, than a teacher/student kind of thing.  Of course, please ask questions if you have them!  But since we all use different programs, and have differing amounts of experience, with different backgrounds, it's probably best for each person to learn his or her own program at his or her own pace.  Stuffing too much information into your head at one time on this stuff leads to nothing more than headaches, self loathing, and chocolate binges.  Trust me... I know.

I'm going to grab some royalty-free clipart and make up a palette and some sizing requirements and then I'll post them here at TT.  You will be able to download them from here for yourself, by right-clicking each image and then clicking SAVE AS, saving the files to your hard drive.  After that, it's just a matter of opening those files in your image editing program, and finding a way to combine them to create a new and unique design!

Everything will be in .jpg format so it should be accessible to all.  The file sizes will be small, optimized for the web, and at 72dpi, so they should be quick to view and download even for our dialup visitors.

I'll set a timeframe, maybe two weeks or so?, during which you can tinker and work.  And then we can start a new thread to post and showcase the new designs!

Sound good...?

Will get busy on this asap...

bear_original

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

I am up for a challenge too.  :clap:

Board footer