Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

Hi,
   This is Wally, my first time using a sewing machine. I am a hand sewer, usually. I didn't draw my pattern for a machine to leave a 1/4" seam allowance, but I have re drawn it that way. How much fur do I actually trim away so my fur doesn't get caught in the seams?  I am ready to cut out Wallys sister and her fur is 1/2" long synthetic.

Many thanks for the advice in advance!

Hugs,
        Jeannie B 1395096032_a_sewn_bear_12.jpg

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Ideally, you'll cut away all of the fur on the seam allowance. That being said, I'm very careful with synthetics because any bare spots along the seam can be very noticeable. (So trim just under 1/4", perhaps?)

Becky

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

When you are done sewing go through all the seams with a large needle and pull any fur that did get caught up to the back. Becky is right, it is better too little than too much especially with synthetic.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

I sometimes trim a 1/4" seam allowance. I use a mustash trimmer to shave the seam before I sew. Hand cutting took too long for my taste. I hand vacuum each piece of fur to get rid of the loose fuzzies with a hand held Dirt Devil vacuum. Hint: hold on tightly or you will find you will be digging your fur piece out of the bag.

Board footer