Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

junior-web.jpgThis is Junior. I have had an accident with him so wish to put him in an egg shell. More like hatching out of an egg shell actually. I have no idea where to start. I am thinking fabric........ I thought little shell on his head and sitting in the bigger piece of shell. Has anyone done anything like this. Any suggestions will be a great help.

Thanks in advance, Matilda.

No hurry ,he is for my Hug. By the way, he's a parrot hatchling.

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

How about an ostrich shell?
Sonya

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Matilda he is lovely ........ what  about needlefelting an egg ??

taralee teds Taralee Teds
south australia

How big is he, cos I have a real ostrich egg (empty) Id be happy to give you! Let me know if that would help, I can cut it for you too if you like.
They are fairly big though so it may not help!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original What a sweet little hatchling, Matilda!!

How about a sort of stiff or quilted fabric, or maybe felt?

To shape the eggshell, you could piece the segments something like of the crown of a baseball cap, but cut narrower segments-- six of these () cut in half horizontally. As for the halves, you could make the top smaller than the bottom, and use a jagged horizontal line instead of a straight one.

I've totally confused myself.  bear_wacko I hope this makes sense to someone!

Eileen

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

How about paper mache????

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

VERY imgaginative, Matilda!!  Love your ideas!

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Matilda,
I have made egg shells using fimo or sculpty clay.  You can make them any size you want.  I used foil to make the base.  Then you can color them if you want.  You make the little shell for the head at the same time.
Donna

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Hmmm ...since this is in the Needle Felting catagory...how about getting a styrofoam egg for a base..and needle felt an egg on it...then cut as desired...so this cute little kritter can sit in & have a hat too...just what comes to mind here.....make sense? I am not sure I explained this the way I visualize it in my head...lololol...Junior is sooo cute!!!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Ahhh, I was going to suggest polymer clay too, but it seems like there are several good ideas.  Let us know what you decide...and post pictures. :hug:

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Matilda, have you heard of timtex?  google it.  also check out the timtex bowls that are being made.  and this is how;

http://www.quiltbus.com/bowls.htm

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_quilting_in … 44,00.html

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl … tle=timtex

tim tex is the stuff that stiffens the bill of baseball caps.

you adhere your fabric to it with double sided iron on fabric bonding that comes in sheets or yardage.

I am betting that you could comeup with an egg using these products....I'll try to find some for you and some books too......

ok that should get you started if your interested.....

hugs

dilu

dilu

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Wow, great idea Dilu! :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Dilu beat me to it!!

There are great books on using timtex to make boxes, gift bags, bowls. With a little creativity you could make a reallt cool egg... using some fun fabric that compliment his fur.

I didn't try Dilu's links to see what she lead you to but here 's a link to the books and Timtex, all on one page:

http://softexpressions.com/software/boo … icBowl.php

WA

WOW Thankyou everyone. The amount of ideas.!!!! bear_thumb
Kerynn thankyou for the offer of an egg. I did actually give that one some thought when Sonya mentioned it.
I also thought about needle felting it but for the life of me I couldnt figure how to make a frame to work it on. 'Styrofoam egg' brilliant!    Dilu and Daphne, thankyou some much for the 'timetex 'links. I had no idea this stuff existed. I have placed it on my suppliy list.
Junior is 6 inches standing and 4 sitting. He isnt finished , I still have to give him toe nails. and a few pin feathers.
Unfortunately when I had to resew the back closing the mohair just came away in my hand. Didnt half give me a fright.  The pic doesnt do him justice either, poor wee thing just is not photogenic. He's so funny and cute in the 'flesh' so to speak.
I would love to put him in an  ostrich egg but also would like to do more critter hatchlings in the future. So will not take you up on your generous offer Kerynn at this time.. Thankyou though. Your very kind. ...but if all else fails............

I think what I will do, is try the needle felting, now that I have a base it can be felted on AND When I get the 'timetex' I will give that ago.
The sculpy isnt a good choice for me. I'm not good with my hands that way ,unfortunately.
Thankyou again for all your imput. Genuinely appreciated.
bear_thumb  bear_flower  bear_thumb Matilda

Wow so many really great ideas.....I can't wait to see what you do.....hurryhurryhurryhurry

no pressure though  bear_innocent

bear_flower

WA

Right , this is what I'm going to try first.......I'm going to follow Eileens instructions first. I'll shape it on the styrofoam as Charlotte recomended and then needle felt over the top. The needlefelting will camoflage the seam lines. It is the seam lines which I wish to avoid.  and I thought I could needlefelt coloured spots on it as well.

This egg is what you would call a TEAM effort.  bear_thumb  Matilda bear_thumb
PS: I forgot to log off the other day. So if you think I live here, No, it was just a sleep over.hahahahah

A sleepover!  How funny. 
:dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:
dilu

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Doodle-Doos-for-TT.jpgThis may be too little, too late, Matilda . . . but I made a "broken egg" for my Doodle Doos vignette.  I cut apart a paper mache egg (you can get several sizes), then painted the pieces.  The largest size I've seen is 9 inches, measured around the largest end.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Sue Ann, you are the chicken making queen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Sue Ann, what a great idea!  And your vignette is adorable too

bear_tongue

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Sue Ann , is that the Rooster that was nominated for  golden Teddy for 2005?  He is marvelous :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:   Love the whole scene too.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

The whole scene was nominated for a 2004 Golden Teddy in the Tableaux Category.  A different rooster was nominated in 2005.  Thanks for the nice comments, everybody . . . I do enjoy making the chicks!

WA

OOOHHHH SUEANN!!!!!!! they are just gorgeous. I just LOVE your CHOOKS!!
Thankyou for posting them again. !!!They are SPECTACULAR bear_thumb

Are you saying  you bought the eggs, pre-made?  Will have to check out 'Spotlight' (our resident craft & fabric store) to see what they offer. The school holidays are starting again soon. A friend of mine baby sits her grandchildren. I just may give them a project to keep them busy. hahah

I've just had another loooong look at your chook family, and its the way you have them posed for a family portrait that appeals to me the most.  I now know what all those photography tips I have read mean. "engage the eyes" I just LOVE your CHOOKs. or did I just say that already? hah
spotya  Matilda :dance:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Yes, Matilda . . . I bought the eggs at Hobby Lobby (craft store chain), but I know there are several online craft stores that carry them, too.  I'll get back to you with some links.   Glad you like those chooks!!

http://www.craftcatalog.com//merchant.i … 715&step=2

http://www.craft-supplies-online.com/pr … ?catID=122

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Sue Ann the vingette is adorable ...... I love the whole scene ......my kitchen has a chook theme .......

Board footer