Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Everyone
I have to costume an oriental teddy bear and don't know where to look for patterns to do this. As she is a girl I would like to do the traditional robe with the obi etc. She is 18". Can anyone help?
Hugs
Gail

Website

Oops I should mention that the bear is a panda so the clothes would be Chinese
Thanks
Gail

Best Dressed Bears Best Dressed Bears
Melbourne

Hi Gail,
When I am going to make a costume that needs to  represent a special theme I go on the internet. I look up the word that best explains the costume, and I look at the images and then see if there is a website that has a basic pattern of the costume. Then if that doesnt work I will go to the library.
I did make a Japenese bear a couple of years ago and from memory most of their outfits are created out of rectangles. I did borrow a book from the local library  which did help me, it showed how the costume was made and how it was worn.
When I create a costume I try to break it down into shapes first....generally most items of clothing are square and rectangles and then I pin them onto the bear. I treat the bear costumes just like adult clothing so I give the bears a fitting just like I would to an adult. The bears generally dont complain when they are pinned NOT LIKE HUMANs!!!....hehehehe.
I then take the garment off the bear make adjustments and put it back again and make more adjustments.
I very rarely make an actual pattern for my costumes.....( I tend to create new ones every time) I would probably save myself a lot of time if I did have a ruff drafted pattern but this  is just how I have made clothing for the last 20 odd years.
I hope some of this is of help to you.... I am still learning how to explain how I create costumes.... so much of it is just stuff going on in my brain....YIKES which can be a scary sometimes hehehehehe
Please keep me posted on how you go with the costume you are very welcome to email if you need any help.
Bear hugs and smiles
Kerrie :hug:  bear_original

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Hiya Gail. I made some Japanese costumed bears a while ago. I found all I needed through internet searches.

ThreeLittleMaidsTheMikado.jpg

I don't know if this image will help.

Hugs Jane  bear_flower

Website

Thanks for your help- TTalkers are the BEST!!!!
Hugs
Gail

Board footer