Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

...in more ways than you could possible realize... HA HA HA  bear_innocent   bear_innocent

I'm wanting to place a new mohair order....that's not new but I can't decide which LOOK I should be working on...so I'm coming to you for your opinion.

Should I work on bears that look like this?  Big colorful eyes, fluffy fur....

Dumpling.jpg

This is DUMPLING!!!

or more like this one?  A little more towards the traditional look, smaller black peepers and perhaps some vintage accessories...

Tucker.jpg

This is TUCKER!!!

What do you ladies/gents think?  I'm in a quandary (is that a word)...where's my dictionary?

I'm also in a mood...perhaps I should be out digging in the dirt?!   bear_wacko

TTFN

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Both bears are gorgeous. Personally, I like the chubbier type bears like dumpling, but traditional bears are beautiful too. Its really a matter of personal taste. What I do love is the curly type mohair and that's not so traditional, is it? Oh, I know, buy twice as much and get both types of mohair and lots of different eyes  bear_tongue  bear_innocent

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Oh Shantell,  bear_flower
You know where my vote is going be.   bear_tongue I'm all about the traditional look.

Warmest hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

carsoncreations Carson Creations
Macomb, IL
Website

Shantell,

Both bears are wonderful.  I tend to make more traditional bears, but it's fun to make something different every once in a while.

Go with what makes YOU happy.  If you are making a bear you enjoy, it shows through the eyes of the bear.   Wonderful "hug me" ..."take me home" type of gaze from those beautiful eyes.    Or make both ... they are great !!!

Hugs,

Wanda

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Either bear will be snapped up by a new owner, so its truly down to what YOU want to play with.  If you're truly in a quandry, perhaps try a mohair that you normally wouldn't select for a style and look completely different??   bear_grin   Then again, maybe you should just go play in the dirt and come back later....I'm no help am I?  But I think both bears are equally cute  bear_wub

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

How about one of your pudgy dumplings with black eyes?  Why not combine the two  bear_original  I love the little pudgy ones bear_original

Pipa UK

Oh dumpling has to get my vote bear_happy

ScottBear scott's bears

Split the difference and do both !! Use a trick that I like to do BUY a longer pile MATTE mohair that will give you the ratty wellloved trad look and then if you want fluffy mod guy ..Take a FORK(yes a fork) and firmly place it into the matte at the backing and PULL thru the mohair..Do not use a brush of any type or you will get a very scary fuzzy afro..now buy a product called "SHOW SHEEN" at PetCO (JUDY will know this product very well from showing animals) ..use this prosses and you will get one of the softest silky curly mohair you have ever touched !!! 
Ok I have now given away one of my most guarded secrets....collectors have said my bears that i have used this on say the bear is the sofest and most touchable bears in there bear den ..use it and tell me what you all think  esp judy as i know she must have a can in her barn!!!! I know about it because I showed horses for many years ...
BEARHUGS
SCOTT

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Definitely both!

Eileen

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Shantell..I really love both...honestly! And you'll get bored if you only make the one type...diversity sells! And anyway...it's an excuse to buy double the mohair! What better reason could you need?

Willamette Valley Oregon

Somehow I knew your answers would be (for the most part)..."Do both..."  You aren't any better than me (said with a giggle and the greatest love and respect   bear_wub   bear_wub )

I do love both...

Now...dang nabit...would somebody PUHLEEEZE tell me the  winning lottery ticket numbers so I can actually afford ALL the mohair and supplies I want...OH and a bear or dozen out of the 4Sale section!!!

bear_grin

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh darling, they are both so precious and appealling....sigh

:hug:

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Well, unfortunatly for me Hayley, two types don't sell for me  :doh:  I just don't have the collectors market with my antique looking bears that I do with my moderns.

I have to say to me though, the second bear doesn't look traditional to me - so it's not too far away from the first bear.

Do both - they are both similar and still have the look of your bears!

Danni

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Yup - I agree - you really need to do both kinds!!  I make new designs a lot and just can't stick to one all the time.

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Both

I think both styles of bear would complement your talent.  They are both really cute and I think they both complement each other as they both have 'Your look'

Hugs Jane  bear_flower

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

yes...definitely a few of each!!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

LMAO I guess we aren't helping... ah well, we are giving an excuse to buy more mohair! "But the gals on TT said that I need to make both" LMAO   bear_innocent

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Shantell, I know you're going to expect me to say this because of his name: Go with Tucker's traditional style...
But in all honesty, I simply like the smaller dark eyes better... they even look good on contemporary style bears too.

Kim had a great idea..... fluffy style with traditional eyes.... mix it up.
Who says you only have to have 2 looks by the way? ... combine them and have 3 or more!

Scott... great secret! Thanks for sharing! I'll have to try this one out some day. I have a closet full of matted mohair and have done everything to it but the Show Sheen sounds like fantastic softener.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Shantell, I too say go with yoru heart.  Also, mix it up a bit...play...experiment....and have fun.  I know you'll do very well in whatever you do.

Willamette Valley Oregon

My question yesterday was a bit twofold in that I was staring a bear head and just couldn't decide what kind of eyes I wanted to give him.  Well...I have mixed it up a bit...and then while hunched over in deep thought and concentration carefully trimming the muzzle, I got the crap scared out of me and whoops...there went a chunk of fur on the floor...needless to say I had to do ALOT more trimming.  I'm tempted to name him Boo Boo...and just might although I hate to give him a complex so early in his life (he's only a head at this point). 

Will post pictures later...maybe today if I get busy and off of here.  HA

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Shantell,

I honestly like both types.  I think both are appealing and have that Apple Dumpling look. 

Post pics of Boo Boo!   bear_original

krystolla Fuzzbutt Bears
Columbus Ohio

My mother says that if you have two options that seem equally good then what you need is a third choice . . . so time to try some string mohair.  Or velvet. Or, um, denim?   bear_happy

-- Erika
Fuzzbutt Bears

PS. Of course, if what you have is three really good options, what you need is a fourth . . .

Board footer