Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Churton M Posts: 43

Hello
I'm desperate for some advice from you wonderful fellow teddy bear makers. I'm quite new to teddy bear making (am on bear 6) but the one I am currently working on has been going really well until today :-(
I had stuffed my nose nice and firm and knew it was a good stuff as needed pliers to pull the needle through for the nose thread base layer; but then as I was trimming a little more fur around the nose before sewing my final top nose thread I noticed that the stitching on one side of the nose has burst very slightly!
I'm totally gutted as I did double stitching; I have no spare fur as it was a vintage crushed mohair I had come across at an antique fair and I only just had enough to make the bear. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can repair it without taking the whole head apart? I could literally cry as this was looking like being a really nice bear :-(
I can add pics if need be
Karen

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I would un-stuff the head, turn it wrong-side-out again, and re-stitch/reinforce the seams. You could then try some fray-check to strengthen the seam allowance.

If that doesn't do it, I'd move on to the next head. The combination of fabric and seam needs to be strong enough to handle a firmly stuffed nose, I'd say.

Becky

edmondnutmeg Padfield bears
Derbyshire
Website

Oh Karen this is heartbreaking all that work!  bear_cry I recently spent half a day hand sewing a tiny dress in some vintage silk that was looking wonderful until my bears arm ripped the seem when putting it on. The fabric was just too delicate (which was exactly why I liked it in the first place) so I feel your pain. I could have started again and lined the fabric to give it strength but then it would loose the softness I wanted. So I know it is a total pain but I am with Becky you will have to unstuff and redo. If you try to repair it will only end up making more of a mess. A house needs good foundations. I just hope unpicking doesn't make the fabric too weak to sew again. If that happens your only option is to make a separate muzzle in a contrasting fabric. Good luck bear_thumb

Thanks everyone. I kinda knew the best thing was to unstuff and fix from inside but thought there may be some secret trick to avoid it.
I have spent my day today sorting it out; his nose seam is now secure but I couldn't help but feel the additional work on his nose was noticeable after being restuffed (probably because I had trimmed the muzzle before the seam popped) so I have given him a slightly wider nose than previously planned to help cover his 'cosmetic surgery'.
I'm really rather pleased you all helped convince me; all be it a pain in the bottom; to take the longer option as I know he will withstand time better now.
I shall post some pictures of him once I have sewn his ears on, waxed his nose and attached his head to his body.
Thank you :-) (not sure how you all get the lovely little pics of bears come up)

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Karen, the easiest way to add photos (in my opinion) is with the Post Reply button (not the Quick Reply). It gives the option to upload photos.

There is a size limit (I usually size mine at about 500 pixels wide to stay under the limit). If it seems you're doing everything right, but no picture appears, that usually means it's over the size limit.

Looking forward to seeing this bear!  bear_original

Becky

Quy nomonkeybiz.com
Costa Mesa, CA
Website

Quy Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Churton M wrote:

(not sure how you all get the lovely little pics of bears come up)

Under Profile > Display, check "Show BBCode toolbar when writing posts.".

I have finally got around to taking photos of the finished bear. I think he turned out alright in the end.

I'll try again

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Indeed he did turn out all right! bear_flower Lovely mohair, too.

Becky

MonBears Original Mon Bears
Melbourne
Website

What a divine bear!!!! He is wonderful and you have a done a fabulous job. I never would have guessed you're only new to bear making- well done bear_original

JulieK Suffolk

Your bear looks gorgeous!

This happened on my first bear down the nose. Luckily I had enough fabric which was stable enough (I stitched too close to the edge of the fabric) to stitch him closed with a curved needle using ladder stitch and didn't have to unstuff and restitch him or stabilise any edges.

I made sure I didn't stitch too close to the edges on my second bear and the seams look to be holding after the first session of head stuffing.

I really hope I don't get the same issue again.

J

Board footer