Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Berwickbears Berwick Bears
Maine

Hello everyone, I am looking for advice on cutting side head pieces from curly s mohair. I have worked mostly with curly matted or straight mohair. But, I have some of the curly s to use and I have having a lot of trouble getting the fur direction on side head pieces to match with the curly s style! Any advice will be much appreciated bear_original

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Hi Mindy,
Are you working with the Intercal s (signature), which has its waves or curls all going in the same direction?
If so, I would determine the direction of the pile, and make some pencil marks on the back going in that direction.
Then mark your pattern pieces on both sides with the direction you want the pile (I prefer it to angle down and back, but straight down is also good).
When you cut the side head pieces, line up those arrows (i.e. don't worry about the warp and weave of the backing fabric). That's what works for me! (With the head gusset, by the way, I do pay careful attention to the warp and weave. With the side head pieces, though, the pile direction is what I follow.)
Becky

Board footer