Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Meri Bears (UK) West Sussex, England

I just wondered if anyone had used wood wool as a filling. I have just created a new traditional style bear and as I have some fine wood wool filling, I thought I might give it a try.

Having never used it before is it ok to stuff the bear with part wood wool/part poly?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that it should be lightly dampened? Can anyone enlighten me on this bear_original

By the way, the wood wool was delivered in a black bin liner and upon seeing it my daughter thought we were getting a rabbit bear_laugh  'Oh no, not more bear stuff', she groaned.  bear_sad

Any tips welcomed, thank you guys

:hug:

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

I have used it both mixed with polyfil and by itself. I prefer it by itself. I think it gives a truer vintage feel. it is true that it helps to dampen it before using. I use a spray bottle and just mist it lightly. It is really messy to work with so it is best to stuff outside or use a plastic shower curtain underneath where you will be stuffing. Misting it with water really tames it down some and makes it more flexible and easier to get into place. You have to use small pieces at a time. . It is a pain to stuff with it and a wood wool stuffing tool is invaluable. (hint: at the hardware store, ask for a nail puller) it is about the size of a screwdriver and has a bent end with a split in it.  Hope that helps.
Sonya

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I like in the snouts of larger bears. I take a small amount in my palm and rub them together into a ball and then stuff the balls in one by one.  I do mist a bit first as well.  It makes it much easier to do the nose but harder for needlescuplting.

Marion

ConnieB Cincinnati, Ohio

Kate,
My dad - a carpenter - has been finishing our lower level and has all his tools here.  One day I was visiting with him and saw all these wood shavings on the floor.  I picked them up and bunched them in my hands.  They compacted so nicely!  So he used one of his tools and made me a big pile of shavings.  I used them in my next bear in the head.  Spritzed them with water to slightly dampen them.  I couldn't believe how hard the nose was and with much less effort than using fiberfill.  It was a breakthru for me because the wood shavings are so easy to sew thru too!  Anyway, that's what I use now..........

Meri Bears (UK) West Sussex, England

Thank you ladies :hug:

These are brilliant tips and I look forward to giving it a go on the next one.

Have a fab weekend bear_original

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:

yosemitebearworks Oakhurst, CA
Website

I use wood wool in all my heads, and love that it makes a nice firm finish.  Another advantage is that you can mold the head somewhat after you finish stuffing.  I take the head in my hands and push firmly with my thumbs to create eye sockets and smooth out any stray lumpy areas, etc. You can also use soft-sculpture techniques with a wood wool stuffed head, but I often find that I can get the shape I want just through surface molding.   

If I want to make a "stand by itself" bear I find that a leg firmly stuffed with wood wool (to at least past the ankle) gives enough support to do the job.  One caution, though -- wood wool makes for a very light bear.  Those of you who like your bears to have some "heft"  may not care for the feel.

Hugs,  Donna B

Jane Perala Jane Perala Designs Ltd.
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

Personally I have never used woodwool - although a few bear makers I know do, and they love it.

I use both Fortrel and Dacron.  The Dacron has a higher loft than the Fortrel so I use the Dacron in the body, arms and legs because I like a softer  bodied bear (gives better hugs).  I use the Fortrel in the head because it packs down quite nicely and doesn't "jump" out again when I try to put more into the muzzle, and I get a fairly firm head that way.

Sorry, not much help with the woodwool.

Jane P.
www.janeperalateddies.com

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I do use excelsior in my bears' noses because I like the 'hardness' it gives.  I don't have a good experience with misting it with water, however.  I did that for awhile, but found that as it dries, it shrinks some . . . therefore leaving the snout on an already finished bear head NOT so hard packed as I'd like.  Now, I cut it up to make it more manageable before stuffing.

AnnG Childhood Treasures
Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA

I've always wondered about mildew problems developing

nettie scotland
Website

I chop it like SueAnn then make it into wee hard balls.I use a mix of woodwool and sand for a crunchy heavy bear.I haven't tried misting.It does give an authentic feel but what a mess!!!
Diane xx

Board footer