Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Pages:
Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original  :dance: My little girl Eleanor has been accepted at the MIT Sloan School of Management!!

Eileen

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

WOW!!!!!!!!!

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

starlite Starlite Bears
Renfrew,Scotland

:dance:  :dance:  :dance: Congratulations to your daughter :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Congratulations!  Is she going to accept?  Is that her 1st choice?   :clap:  :dance:

I have a 2 relatives named Eleanor.   bear_original

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Eileen, you must be over the moon!  That's wonderful news.  Congratulations to you and your daughter.

Hugs,

Brenda

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Whoa, that's an impressive bit of resume padding!  Yay for her!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

That is terrific news, Eileen . . . for your daughter AND you!!  Big congratulations to you both!!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

You have such a great reason to be a Proud Mommy, Eileen.
Congratulations to you both and best of luck for Eleanor.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Fantastic - congratulations!!! Hve you stopped sobbing with pride yet?!  bear_cry  bear_grin

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

bear_flower FANTASTIC !!!!!

Congratulations to you and your daughter.

:clap:
Marie

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Eileen I don't know what the MIT Sloan School of Management is but by the reaction of the others it sounds to me like it is really a big time to celebrate. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...............

WELL DONE

Eleanor

and congratulations Eileen for having a clever daughter.

Hugs Jane.    bear_thumb

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

:dance:  bear_laugh  :dance:  bear_laugh  Thanks, everybody--though I can't take much credit, I WILL!!  :dance:  bear_laugh

I haven't broken into sobs yet, Helena, but I'm still shaking--I think this is a pre-sob state!  bear_laugh

She's definitely going to accept. MIT is her first choice. She's also been accepted into Boston University's excellent MBA program with a huge fellowship, but she really, really wanted to go to MIT, which starts distributing $$ later, on the basis of first term performance.

Sloan is the Graduate Management School of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, Mass (across the river from Boston). Of the eastern US MBA programs, it's probably the most cutting edge-- along with Wharton (U of Pennsylvania) and Harvard, which has the bigger name, but tends to be old style and rather stuffy. MIT's MBA isn't especially technical. It reaches into all sorts of areas, economic and political, and has a serious social conscience.

I'm especially thrilled because MIT is one of my favorite places in the whole world. I worked there during my 20s, as a secretary to the chair of the Chemistry dept. I loved the people and the ambience. I don't speak a word of chemistry, but it didn't matter. I used to chat with Noam Chomsky on the elevator while he was still a linguist.

Oh, BTW, ILoveTeddies, Eleanor is also a family name on my Hubs' side. It drives my Eleanor wild when people pronounce it Elener.  The family wealth is long gone, but he's a direct descendant of Charles II and Nell (Eleanor) Gwynn, the scandalous 17th C actress. His Mom was disinherited for marrying the family's estate agent--very romantic!

Babbling here, but I'm so happy!! All you Moms will understand--there have been times in the parenting of this dear child when such a future didn't seem at all likely!

Thanks for all your messages--they mean a lot to me!

Eileen

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Fandabbidozie Eileen,
                                   You and her Dad must be ever so proud. But then look who her Mom and Dad are!!!!!!!!.  Give her my heartiest Congratulations.  Hugs Rita xxx

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Bless you, Rita  :hug:

But I'd have to say that her Mom and Dad are two tired old sacks with most of their stuffing gone!  bear_laugh

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

That is absolutely WONDERFUL Eileen!!!!!!!!!!!  bear_smile  bear_smile  bear_smile

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Excellent news Eileen  :clap:

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

That is great news!!!!!! Congratulations to your daughter, Eileen and to you for raising such a good kid!! That is something to be proud of.

Jo-Ann G Budd Bears Boutique
BC, Canada

Congrats to you daughter you must be a very proud MOM!

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

:dance:  :dance: Wonderful news Eileen........

WOW, MIT!!!!!!!!!!

:dance:  :dance:

:hug:
Tracy

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Eileen,

That makes it even better that it's her 1st choice!   :dance:   Will she start next fall?

What an interesting family history about Eleanor!

Helen Out 'n About Bears
Poole, Dorset, England

Congratulations, Eileen---and to Eleanor too.

I have visited Boston, and had a walk around the MIT area.  It was one of the places I most wanted to see, as I love the film "Good Will Hunting"!!

Helen

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Thanks, all! I'm still over the proverbial moon!  bear_original

Eleanor starts in the fall. She and new Hubs Monty will go to MIT in April for a meet-and-greet weekend. I wish they'd take me along . . . They have to sell their Rochester NY house, find a place in Boston, quit their jobs and move to Boston by August (they're looking at the Back Bay/Fenway area--cheapish). Monty's going into BU's MBA program, which was his first choice.

They'll be poor and overworked and living in sweats and jeans for the next few years, but here they are at their wedding in January!
ElMonWeb.jpg

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

That girl of yours is a real beauty, and a regal and poised one at that.  I wouldn't want to have her sitting on the other side of a conference table from me, briefcase and MIT MBA in hand.  She'd be a formidable opponent!

Very cute picture of a darling couple.

Just-as-cute mommy, showing off her prodigy so proudly!

bear_original

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh Any chance I get, Shelli!! bear_laugh

Your insight into character is truly amazing. Eleanor is indeed most formidable, everything I wanted to be at her age and didn't even approach the hem of until I was much older. When she was 3,  I took her gently to task over some minor thing . . . she fixed me with a steely blue glare and demanded to see her Real Mommy. Ouch.

After that, I raised her according to Harry Truman's advice for successful parenting: find out what they want to do and advise them to do it. I've passed this on to Monty.

When Eleanor's little sis Alex rose to give a speech at the wedding reception, it was all about the terrors of growing up as Eleanor's small and helpless sibling. There was mention of cobras, possibly tigers, which Alex admitted were worshipped in some cultures . . . but it was very funny, and inspired thunderous applause--not bad for a kid with Anxiety Disorder.

Oh, dear! Was that me, bragging about another one just then?  :redface:

Eileen

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

What an absolutely beautiful couple they make Eileen... you brag away!!!!!!!  Wow... MIT and BU.... holy moly... will they ever have some serious diplomas on their walls!  My oh my! 

What nationality is her hubby if you don't mind me asking, he has nearly the same lovely skin tone as my Egyptian hubby!  In fact, I have about the same skin tone as your daughter.... watch out Eileen.... you could have some super cute grandbabies to look forward to eventually!   bear_grin  bear_wub

Kim Basta
Wild tHyme Originals

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Pages:

Board footer