Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

I have had a few people approach me to teach them how to make bears.
I am flattered very flattered but have no idea how to go about it.
I was thinking of supplying the TOTAL kit and the tools (I keep) and doing it over 3 classes of abut 2 hours each.
The first class an intro , using different materials, the typrs of eyes, joints.
Getting the pattern prepared, placement of pattern onto material and the cutting out

The second class sewing the head, sewing an arm, leg and the body.  they would need to take it home I think to finish the other 1/2 of the bear as they would be hand sewing unless they want to bring their own machines.

The third class stuffing, jointing, eyes, ears, nose and assembling.

Has anyone run a class how did you do it?
how did you charge?

Any advice please.

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Oh Bronwen,
How wonderful !!  bear_flower 
I think you already have a great plan for
teaching bear making !  bear_smile

Sorry that I don't have a any advice for you and  I never ran a class before. ( because I'm still new.  bear_tongue  ) but I'm taking
a class from one of my favorite
Japanese Bear Artist now and she did
pretty much same as what you described
as above. She made us a KIT for a first class and student  will move on to miniature bear and large bear after creating 1st  bear...then student will
move on to more creative class such as Design, Needle sculpt, Open mouth, Realistic bear etc....

My bear teacher charges me
¥1000per hour (about $11.65AU)
and my class is 1day in a month for
4hours...

I'm sure some of our TT members
are teaching bear class .....  :bday:

Hugs/Marie

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Bron I have given classes ... I supply all that they need (in a kit form and that is cut out )..except the filling.. but you can supply that if you wish ...If they use the machine they get it done in a day, if they know about sewing... Hand sewing I have done over 4 weeks (2hrs sessions) and the way you have laid it out is great ...

Ripley, Queensland

Any advice on how much?
Obviously you have to have a price for the materials but what did you charge for the time?

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Good questiong Bronwen. I've also been thinking about teaching some classes soon, but just couldn't figure out how to do it.

I know you can take teddy classes here in my city, and they're about $100 or so each, NOT including supplies.

I hope to hear more on this.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

OK, this is a topic dear to my heart and I can't stay off the board completely here as I'd suffer withdrawals and that'd just add to my current stresses! Besides, I've had 12 hours of sleep and might be able to make a little sense here.

So, here goes:

First things to remember about making a lesson plan:
It will take your students longer than you think!! Some will be quick, others slow. Part of teaching is also to keep the lesson moving along without leaving anyone behind and not understanding.

When you demonstrate a new technique, be sure you have everyone's attention regardless of where they are in their work so that they can follow along and you don't have to repeat yourself a hundred times.

3 or 4 hour sessions when making a jointed bear from scratch are long enough if you want your students to remember everything you've taught so they can work at home AND remember the techniques when they attempt to make another bear on their own.

My sample lesson plan goes as follows:

Day 1: Materials, supplies and pattern overview. Layout, trace and cut pattern.

Day 2: Pin and sew arm, body, head and leg w/foot pad.
I start with an arm as it's a good piece to get them used to sewing fur before moving on to multi-piece or twisty turny pieces. Head gusset and foot pad are hand sewn. All the rest is machine sewn. The remaining arm and leg and anything else left unfinished is up to them to do at home. I also demo removing fur from seams so they can do that at home.

Day 3: Head stuffing, jointing all parts. This takes a while depending on your jointing system of choice. I have them make 'test eyes' of little circles of black felt the size of the actual eye and have them cut a nose template and send them home to work on how they want their bear to look by pinning the above mentioned as well as the ears in various positions.

Day 4: Complete the head/face. Stuff and close seams. (Ladder stitch demo.)

Pricing.... UGH!

Kit Fee: OK, I supply the ENTIRE kit including stuffing. Try to buy in bulk on everything if you can or at sale prices to save money. Be sure to charge the regular retail price on all items when calculating your kit fee. I include a bobbin of upholstery thread (from Edinburgh though Intercal might have them too) for closing seams and inserting eyes. Add up the cost of everything you are giving the student to keep. Then add a percentage or set dollar amount on for the time it's taken you to collect everything. (I usually add $5.00 per kit.) My kits including a medium priced mohair for a 14" bear are usually about $55.00-75.00.

The class fee: Decide how much you want to be paid an hour for your time and knowledge. Calculate the total number of hours for your class multiplied by your hourly rate. Divide this number by the minimum number of students you'll accept in a class. This is the MINIUM class fee for each student.

Example: $15 hr x 12 hours = $180 div. by 3 students = $60 per student. Now, I usually travel a bit to where I teach classes so I add in my travel time to the class fee as well.

There are other considerations: Tools the students will need for joints, doll needles, scissors, etc. You'll need to decide if you are going to give the students a supply list and have them hunt all these items up or if you are going to provide them for use during class. As I teach a lot I have tool kits that I make available during class. If the students want to buy their own tools I sell them a tool kit. Some students want to just make the one bear, or decide it's more than they want to do on their own so never make another, therefore don't want to invest in all the tools. But it's up to the instructor on what you want to provide.

Sewing: I ONLY teach using a sewing machine. Gussets and foot pads are handsewn of course but the rest is by machine. If you are going to only handsew the whole bear you'll need to allow more time. If you use a machine I always insist that students bring a machine they know well and that is in good working order. You won't believe how many don't know how to operate their machine, are using a friend's machine they know nothing about or end up with technical issues. You can loose an entire class session if you have to spend time teaching someone how to use a sewing machine. You only use a straight stitch and reverse so no advanced sewing knowledge is necessary.

Helpful tips:  Bandaids. Bring bandaids. Oh and every student will have bits and pieces of threads, fur, etc that are trash. I tape paper lunch bags to the side of the table at everyone's place for their trash so it's not all over their work space and makes clean up at the end a lot quicker.

Oh, bring a camera... it's fun to take in progress photos or at least a group photo when everyone is done.

This is all just how I handle classes. Everyone will have something different to offer... take it all in and do what works best for you!!

I'm excited that some of you are thinking about teaching. The more folks we can educate on bear making the better! They won't all become bear artists but they'll appreciate collecting artist bears and their value a lot more!

:hug:  Daphne

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Daphne! Thanks soo much. I'm going to copy all this dowb., I can just hear your experience with teaching. You are a life saver.

I just couldn't imagine teaching a class to make a bear in a session or two,when it takes me a month to make a bear LOL but i can really see it happening now. Great idea to get them to decide the placement of the ears, eyes etc at home 'cause that can take a while.

it's okay to ask them to bring a sewing machine? Good to know.

Also, WHERE do you teach? At home, rent place, community centre? Oh my. I'm also assuming you have to provide one of your own patterns.

Thanks Daphne!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I have a friend here who learned from Joan Wosner (SP)  They were bear making buddies long ago.  And because of the wonderful experience she thought she could replicate the experience up here in Oregon.

The people that came to her class were all church friends and none of them wanted to do the sewing.  They had her sew the limbs etc.  And then they didn't have joints etc.  So...well...they used her joints.....and these eyes are too small.....do you have?.....

This had gone on for years!!!!!

Then I come along, I borrow one book, it had Intercal listed, I did web searchers and bought my own supplies.  At the first class when I saw this stuff going on I was appalled.

Its a cautionary tale.  Know your boundaries, Spell it out-contractually in writing.

Remember the time you give to classes, which is wonderful, is time you don't have for your own projects.....take that into consideration.  Do you sell?  Are they using your patterns?  will there be copywrite problems?

The last class she was talked into giving she told them to feel free to use her machine, feel free to leave 5 dollars for a set of joints, feel free to pay for the eyes......

It is sad, but people will try to take advantage of you if you let them and that hurts both parties.

She isn't teaching any more.  She is in her 60's and to her credit she was doing what we were raised to do when we were little, be helpful, be nice, bite your tongue.  But the old ways don't seem to work anymore in todays world.  You have to protect yourself

sigh

dilu

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

First of all... Dilu's story is a great example of how NOT to teach a class! It just won't work that way and you'll be so frustrated and resentful!

PLEASE don't let Dilu's story discourage you from teaching, however. It is a great and wonderful experience when done professionally!

(No offense to our dear friend here who used to teach as I know she is a kind and wonderful lady with a LOT to share!)

It may be taking time away from making bears to sell but you WILL make more money in the end by charging appropriately for your time to teach. I make more money instructing workshops than I do making bears if I compare hour to hour. Take it from someone with experience.... teaching bear making has many, many rewards. And if done with a little common sense, forethought and a business approach you'll have no regrets.

It took me a few workshops to get my presentation down and the timing down. I had no one to offer assistance so had to wing it. I'd taught quilting classes but the bears a little different.

Places to teach:

Quilt/Fabric Shop
Yarn Shop
Arts & Crafts shop that offers classes
Community Center
Continuing Ed program at a high school
Church
Anywhere you can rent a room with lots of outlets and fantastic lighting for a reasonable price (factor this into your class fee)

You'll be surprised at how interesting a bear making workshop will sound to small business owners who offer classes in other types of art. I have taught at more quilt shops than any where else. Schedule your class far enough in advance for the shop and you to advertise if you don't already have enough students for a class. Don't count on the shop to do all the advertising. If you have a website get your class on there and spread the word to local folks. Put a sample bear in the shop so folks can see what they are going to make and why it costs so much. Educate the shop owner on the materials and basic process so they can explain it to their customers.

If you already have enough folks who want to take a class from you doing it at a community center or renting a room some where is best.

I don't recommend teaching at your home unless you are just having a few friends over..... if anything should happen you are liable and if you have paying pure strangers coming over it's different than friends and gets sticky with trying to file insurance claims. I don't speak from experience but my ins. agent offered a lot of good advice when I was setting up my business.

And, to be sure what happened in Dilu's experience doesn't happen in yours be sure you SUPPLY THE STUDENT WITH EVERYTHING TO MAKE THE BEAR!! Eyes, joints, nuts, bolts, upholstery thread, doll needles, the right embroidery floss, ultrasuede, etc., even sharpies for tracing onto fabric!

Pattern: Yes, you must supply one of your ORIGINAL PATTERNS for the class. I place my copyright on every pattern piece and I nicely explain that they are welcome to make more bears from this pattern to give as gifts... but because of copyright laws, they can not sell any bears made from my pattern. I have a few patterns that I use ONLY for classes. So I don't care a whole lot about what anyone does with the patterns but feel students should know about copyright laws and proper respect and ettiquette when it comes to other artist's patterns.

Sewing machine.... Oh Yes!!! Definitely! You'll find a majority of people who are already crafty or enjoy working with fabric know how to use a sewing machine. And if you teach at a quilt shop it's likely that all your students will machine sew. It's just way too time consuming to hand sew in a class and would require shorter class times but more meetings meaning a longer commitment on everyone's part. UGH! You'll need to decide if you want to teach with or without a machine. It won't work if some are machine sewing and some hand sewing as everyone will be at a different stage in the process and someone is always bound to get left out and in the dark that way. It just won't work.

Lots to think about!!!

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Again, thanks Daphne. Great points to think about.
I've never thought of quitling shops, and advertising. Wow, I'm kinda excited. Maybe inbetween bears I'll start ona pattern for a class and go from there.

Thanks for taking the time, I know things are nuts for you right now.

Ripley, Queensland

Oh Daphne thanks so much
:hug:
Your information is invaluable and I am printing it up right now
I had thought about just using one pattern for a start.
I was going to include everything in the kit as well as the thread stuffing and eyes and had worked it out that they would pay about $70 for the kit.
I was unsure whether to include the tools and up the price but if I take the tools then they can buy from me.
Hadn't thought about the insurance side of things with teaching in my home so I will approach shops and the like.
Daphne thanks again you are inspiring.

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Bronwen, I normally do not teach, but was also asked to do classes. So for the past two months have been doing some at the local craft shop. For a 13" jointed bear-
At the moment the classes are small, so it is easy to cope with the pupils. But it takes time,and some people can be slow. I have noticed this when I have taken classes myself when in Europe.
I do not supply a kit- but l get them to buy the fabric etc at the shop as the point of the class is for them to purchase the supplies from the shop, if the classes expands then we will make up a kit. So I get paid a fee for the teaching.
I supply a pattern with a template sheet that quilters use (plastic)included in my fee.
Its a 2 day course.
When we start, we discuss bear making- mohair, jointing, eyes etc- briefly, then I get them to start tracing off the pattern onto the template, and while doing this we also choose the fabric , paw pads fabric, . (remember it is only 3-4 pupils, so I can get this done)
The fabric is cut out and slowly we start working on the bear, mainly the head which I always stitch by hand. For homework the legs, body, and arms are sewn up at home, and for the next lesson, which is normally in a week's time we then finish the head, insert the eyes ( the eyes and joints are now chosen), and then the bear is jointed, stuffed and finished.
I normally supply basic notes, but get them to add notes as we go along. I also take my digital camera with and I take a pictue of the bear and I let them have a certificate with a picture of the bear they have completed on the certificate, with my name and the shop's name on it.
We do have allot of fun, and we can make tea and coffee on the premises, two tea shops are close by for them to buy something to eat for lunch.

Last week thou , I had a mother and daughter, the mother had sewn last in School and daughter had, had basic sewing lessons in school. We are making slow progress- I have to keep them both interested in the stages of putting the bear together, which at this stage does not look like a bear, and get them back this Saturday to finish the bear. We shall see

In Europe some of the classes I have attended, what the teacher/s have done, is to provide you with a bear that is partially sewn, as the course is just a day, so you have to move fast, this is especially if you are concentrating on working on the head, but you pay for this, and it does not come cheaply.

bear_original
Lynette

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

It's me again.

Lynette reminded me of something.

If you want to try teaching but using YOUR pattern or trying to put a lesson together for the whole process seems daunting for the first time teaching there IS an alternative!

Edinburgh has pre-sewn bear kits that are fantastic! The bear pattern is already cut and sewn so you can get down to the 'real' stuff... jointing, eyes, etc. If you have students who can already sew and read a pattern then it's on the assembly that they are going to need the help any way. I've taught with the pre-sewn kits... even done them as bear making parties at peoples homes where they've invited a few friends over and offered a lunch and we spend 5 hours chatting, making the bear and having fun.

Here is link to the kits on Edinburgh. When I used them they only had 2 styles to choose from.... Elke Block, owner of Edinburgh has designed most all of them. There are now over 20 to choose from ranging in size from 7 - 16 inches.
http://www.edinburghimports.com/shoppin … wnKits.asp

Also... I have found in my bear makig classes that 5 students is the limit. I prefer teaching 3-4 at a time. They are all going to need one on one attention at one time or another in class and it's hard to spread yourself around.

Until the next thought comes along, I'm off......

Board footer